Does Inception Glorify Mind-Rape?

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
So, I read this comment and it sort of got in my head:

http://godofwine.livejournal.com/99593. ... 97#t933897
I find it ironic that you're appalled by this fic and it's perpetration of rape culture when the entire movie is about criminals who invade other people's minds and bodies without their consent. Let us not lose sight of this fact: the characters in Inception are terrible people. They abduct people, drug them, steal vital information, put their victims in situations that make them doubt their sanity, and they get away it, and the worst the film condemns them for it is when Cobb says that it's not "exactly legal." The entire movie is glorification of doing a horrible thing, and it's not a stretch to parallel the movie's crime into rape. The only thing missing between what the characters in the movie do and what date rapists do is the sexual component.
I'd read comments referring to opinions like this and brushed them off. After all, there are plenty of films out there about criminals and I couldn't really see why Inception would be so OMG offensive! Now I know.

And honestly? I think that opinion is the most insane thing I've ever seen.

The initial problem with it is Inception may not actually be real. They may not actually have hurt anyone because we don't know whether any of it even happened. I'm guessing that's a big part of why Nolan chose not to address the issue at all because, lets face it, if this is just Cobb's dream he wouldn't be fussed about whether it was moral or not. I don't think anybody has ever denied these aren't nice people but, honestly, that wasn't the point of the film at all.

Secondly, the entire Mal subplot is about how dreadful the consequences of performing inception is. Cobb did a terrible thing to her. Well-meant, but still terrible. The film never ignores nor glorifies this in any way, never.

Thirdly...I really think it is about time somebody instituted an internet law ala Godwin's regarding people using 'it's just like rape!' as an argument. Firstly, it's a film about fictional people using a technology that doesn't - and never will - exist. Now, if we were talking about people using a very real technology to steal from people's minds, I'd say there was absolutely a point to be had there. But it doesn't, so wtf? I can't imagine there are many rape survivors out there who would be pleased to have something that doesn't even exist compared to their very real ordeal.

Lastly, what a dreadful, dreadful charge to lay at Chris's door. The women debate was bad enough, but at least I could understand why some people might be bothered by it. This is just downright insane. I was so flabbergasted by the stupidity on display I had to post about it. I'm interested in any of your thoughts.

im 14 & i understood inception(even though it requried 2 viewings). Inception & Memento are tied for biggest mind f*cks ive ever seen. intersting you have hyah.
"All this 'good vs evil' shit's been played out. It's now time for 'BAD VS. EVIL'

-David Ayer on Suicide Squad.

The entire movie is glorification of doing a horrible thing
Generally that's what a heist movie tends to do...

It is essentially "mind rape". They are entering peoples minds without consent and fucking with them. But, it made for one hell of a film.

And "thenextnolan", you should probably read what the thread is actually about before commenting. But on that subject I do not find Inception to be "mind fuck". It's fairly straight forward and simple.

Bueller wrote: The initial problem with it is Inception may not actually be real. They may not actually have hurt anyone because we don't know whether any of it even happened.
Doesn't that kinda justify Roofies?

I prefer movies that are about villians, not heroes, to be honest with you

well they ARE criminals, and its mentioned in the movie that what theyre doing is illegal

It is essentially "mind rape". They are entering peoples minds without consent and fucking with them. But, it made for one hell of a film.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing that what they do is wrong. I'm disagreeing with the idea it is equivalent to actual rape (it isn't) and that the film doesn't point out how harmful it is (it does).

In general I'm not comfortable with applying rape to anything *but* well, rape. Somebody elsewhere on that post pointed out that it is hard enough to convince some people that real rape actually happens and applying to things that aren't real doesn't help.
Doesn't that kinda justify Roofies?
*reads over comments and smiles sheepishly* I suppose it could be seen that way. But when someone has had sex, there is physical evidence for it. The issue would be whether it was consensuel or not.
Generally that's what a heist movie tends to do...
That was my reaction. I dunno how anyone can enjoy movies with the sort of mind-set this person has. YOU DIDN'T POINT OUT THAT THE WRONG THING WAS WRONG, YOU SUUUUUCK!

Rob
tobby wrote:In my opinion it was perfect whatever it was, it was just a new imagination of writer & he done his job too well. I like this movie & especially Leonardo's performance..
Best post in this thread.

Wtf, I love this movie, I don't care what it glorifies or not. :) And if I'll let my children watch Inception in the future, I'm sure they won't turn into rapists.

The good person / evil person thing is a subject that is always present in Nolans work, isn't it?

The good person / evil person thing is a subject that is always present in Nolans work, isn't it?
Yes, and it seems to frequently cause confusion because Nolan doesn't shove in moral lectures in his films. See the 'The Dark Knight condones fascism' rubbish from 2008 for more details.

Personally, I hate films that try and tell me what I should and shouldn't think. Even when the film is saying something I morally agree with, there is nothing worse than watching a pretentious rant pretending to be a film. That's why I loathe the film Crash - it's a two hour rant about the most duh moral stance ever.

Worse still is when a film tries to weasel around its moral ambiguity. I like the film Inside Man, but it still pisses me off that the film attempts to justify what Clive Owen does
by revealing he and his gang are stealing from a Nazi and the rest of robbery is a cover
. I don't see how that made up for the emotional trauma they all inflicted on the people they held hostage. I like the film, but sometimes morals aren't the point nor should they be.