so did Paprika plant ideas in Nolan in Inception?

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
was Nolan Incepted by Paprika?

'Working with Tokyo’s Madhouse animation studio, Kon’s filmography included the kaleidoscopic dream-noir Paprika, a film Christopher Nolan has cited as a key influence for Inception. The 2006 sci-fi anime was Kon’s first worldwide release and earned the director critical kudos outside of Japan. According to Nolan, Paprika herself, a beautiful doctor and ‘dream detective’ able to enter and manipulate the dreams of her patients, was an inspiration behind Ellen Page’s dream architect Ariadne.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=28778

I loved Paprika, and loved Inception even more. I know the comparisons are shocking, but like everyone else before you stated, it's more positive influence than a rip-off.

(btw... R.I.P. Satoshi Kon :( )

Nolan said that the idea for Inception was conceived when he was 16, so it can't be a rip off, but I don't know if there are influences of Paprika.

for the 100th time: NO it didn't :roll:

Man.. Satoshi Kon, Hayao Miyazaki movies, even if animated are MUST WATCH. If you consider yourself a lover of the good movies, you can't just lose the chance of watching these Anime Movies, ohh and watch it subtitled because English dub sucks or watch it in Spanish, if you can understand Spanish.

P.D: For god sake who come that good English dubbers once become famous actors don't want to go back to dubbing anime? not fair.

Even though it's very possible that certain movies relating to dreams may have influenced bits of Inception, I find it kind of ridiculous how Inception is constantly accused of ripping off other movies dealing with dreams. It's almost as if once one movie about dreams has been made then they've all been made. The plot, concept, style and execution doesn't even have to be closely related, it's just "oh, it's about dreams? Been done."

I constantly here from some people how Inception is a ripoff of The Matrix, but aside from the fact that the perception of the "real world" is turned on its head a bit, an idea that wasn't exactly original when the The Matrix did it (it just took an old idea and applied it to a new concept, but don't all movies do that?), they really have nothing to do with each other at all.

If I'm a betting man, I say the next movie to deal with dreams is proclaimed a ripoff of *insert movie about dreams* before anything really concrete is released about it.

Arigatou gozaimasu, Kon-san.

R.I.P, Satoshi Kon - creative genius and anime director extraordinaire.

Alterno wrote:Man.. Satoshi Kon, Hayao Miyazaki movies, even if animated are MUST WATCH. If you consider yourself a lover of the good movies, you can't just lose the chance of watching these Anime Movies, ohh and watch it subtitled because English dub sucks or watch it in Spanish, if you can understand Spanish.

P.D: For god sake who come that good English dubbers once become famous actors don't want to go back to dubbing anime? not fair.
well Satoshi Kon rest in peace sir, I've only seen 3 of his movies: Peerfect blue, tokyo godfathers and Paprika, and I've seen all Hayao Miyazaki films, they are indeed masters of the art, and I agree with you about the spanish dub related to anime, is probably the best in the world and nobody gives a damn.

Ok, here's the deal. I talked to Chris himself @ last night's Memento 10th anniversary Q+A. He said that he never heard of Excessif, but he heard of Paprika, and was interested in seeing it, especially when I brought up that Kon mentioned TDK before he died. He also added that he had a similar experience with an entertainment rag where he mentioned five films off the top of his head, just for fun, and they then automatically wrote them as official favorites of his. Anyway, Guillermo Del Toro was moderating the panel, and he gave props to Kon, so that was cool enough for me. 8-)

FYI, there was one thing which matched that Excessif thing, though. Nolan said he was a fan of Blade Runner and Ridley Scott at the panel.