james cameron campares inception and avatar

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.

he doesn't talk much about inception, but more about filmmaking styles in general.
Oh, and I think avatar is underrated by raving internet fanboys who seem to think it's the worst movie since transformers 2 or something.

steveportee wrote:he doesn't talk much about inception, but more about filmmaking styles in general.
Oh, and I think avatar is underrated by raving internet fanboys who seem to think it's the worst movie since transformers 2 or something.
I think it unnecessarily blows up 3D as this huge new discovery, when it actually isn't.

In fact I thought the movie was rather plain, the CGI honestly didn't seem much more different than your average Pixar or Dreamworks films.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

I think Avatar is underrated as a narrative. A lot of people have pointed out that Avatar is a rehash of Pocahontas and several other generic native American stories, and they're right for the most part, but if you put all that aside I feel it works well as its own self-contained story. That said, the narrative was never the attraction in Avatar for me. I was never really emotionally engaged with anything that was going on, and the story just came across as a way of threading together multiple sequences that were coherent enough to understand but were mainly there to showcase how 3D can enhance the viewing experience of a film that exists on a larger scale. I was able to enjoy it on that level (and personally don't see much point in rewatching the film if it isn't in 3D), but I think if people want to view it as a storytelling experience they can, maybe not on a high level but it's decent for what it is (if you get passed the fact that its a borrowed story transplanted onto a new concept).

It's still no Inception, though. :JGLface:

First things first, that poster behind James Cameron is a stunning poster and I will buy it for sure.

Back to the topic:

I don't think JC is trying to compare Inception to Avatar or Avatar to Inception in terms of message, style and story telling. Both films are visually perfect. Avatar is the first motion picture that brought 3D on the headings of the articles ever since JC announced his plans for a full 3D film. As he stated himself that filmmakers like Sir Scorsese is now trying to put his hands on 3D and it's all upto that filmmaker whether s(he) wants to make his film in 3D or not.

Personally, I am not into 3D that much. I am still waiting for it to improve itself technology wise. When AVATAR was released an article was published about JC and Peter Jackson's phone conversation in regards to 3D technology and how far are we from the day we don't have to use 3D glasses. If memory serves me correct JC replied "Not that far", but didn't mention any specific numbers of years.

The story behind AVATAR isn't fresh as much as INCEPTION is and I think JC is aware of it. He is just a proud director of a movie called AVATAR in 3D which really worked in the box office and he has that right to be happy and brag about it, but INCEPTION wins here when it comes to story and the way Nolan has crafted the story in layers and layers without missing a single point and plus in the box office INCEPTION is a winner all the way as well. If AVATAR would've been shot without 3D the film would be a huge flop. Story matters here.

well I think Inception is quite better.
that's all I'm saying.

Rohan wrote:First things first, that poster behind James Cameron is a stunning poster and I will buy it for sure.

Back to the topic:

I don't think JC is trying to compare Inception to Avatar or Avatar to Inception in terms of message, style and story telling. Both films are visually perfect. Avatar is the first motion picture that brought 3D on the headings of the articles ever since JC announced his plans for a full 3D film. As he stated himself that filmmakers like Sir Scorsese is now trying to put his hands on 3D and it's all upto that filmmaker whether s(he) wants to make his film in 3D or not.

Personally, I am not into 3D that much. I am still waiting for it to improve itself technology wise. When AVATAR was released an article was published about JC and Peter Jackson's phone conversation in regards to 3D technology and how far are we from the day we don't have to use 3D glasses. If memory serves me correct JC replied "Not that far", but didn't mention any specific numbers of years.

The story behind AVATAR isn't fresh as much as INCEPTION is and I think JC is aware of it. He is just a proud director of a movie called AVATAR in 3D which really worked in the box office and he has that right to be happy and brag about it, but INCEPTION wins here when it comes to story and the way Nolan has crafted the story in layers and layers without missing a single point and plus in the box office INCEPTION is a winner all the way as well. If AVATAR would've been shot without 3D the film would be a huge flop. Story matters here.
Nicely said :clap:

Avatar was a treat for the eyes, but how could you not know how it was going to end by watching the preview? I think the key to this interview is that James has not yet seen Inception, so he really can't talk about it. But I wonder why he hasn't seen it? I would have asked James "Have you not seen Inception because you know that it's a better movie than yours? Or are you just a douche-bag?... or both?"

Or, god forbid, seeing inception isn't that high on his priority list. What a thought! Not everyone in the world needs to see inception! :oldmanface:

steveportee wrote:Or, god forbid, seeing inception isn't that high on his priority list. What a thought! Not everyone in the world needs to see inception! :oldmanface:
Correction: Everyone in the world NEEDS to see Inception. (I am being sarcastic, don't worry, not a crazy person)

I'm surprised he hasn't seen it yet. He was really excited to see TDK (saw him say in an interview) and from what I hear he loved it. Hopefully not just a batman fanboy. :oldmanface: