"So you're waiting for a train..." Riddle meaning?

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
I only just saw Inception last night (loved it), and I'm trying to decipher a few things about the movie...starting with the riddle (it's bugging me a bit). :think:

What exactly is the riddle though and what do Mal and Dom mean by saying it to eachother? Is it explaining how unpredictable the journey into a dream is or something else?

I know the jist of the riddle goes something like this:

"So you waiting for train, and you know it will take you far away..."

Can someone help me out?

**Sorry if this has been discussed before**

Its not a riddle. Its a metaphor for taking a chance. He says you dont know where its going but it doesnt matter because theyll be together. Hes convincing her to kill herself in the dream.

He uses waiting for a train because it coincides with them laying down on the train tracks

Forum Pro
Law
talli wrote:Its not a riddle. Its a metaphor for taking a chance. He says you dont know where its going but it doesnt matter because theyll be together. Hes convincing her to kill herself in the dream.

He uses waiting for a train because it coincides with them laying down on the train tracks
while i do agree with you for the most part, mal does say to araidne, "i'll tell you a riddle"

Law_of_4 wrote:
talli wrote:Its not a riddle. Its a metaphor for taking a chance. He says you dont know where its going but it doesnt matter because theyll be together. Hes convincing her to kill herself in the dream.

while i do agree with you for the most part, mal does say to araidne, "i'll tell you a riddle"

you sure? i saw the movie 3 times i dont remember hearing that...when does she say it?

Forum Pro
Law
i saw it 4 lol and she says when ariadne goes into cobbs subconsious for the first time she walks up to her and goes right up to her ear and says it.. then she asks if shes ever been in love and if she knows what it felt like to be half of a whole.

oh ok....i know why....she TURNS it into a riddle

she says

you know where you hope the train will take you, but youre not sure, but it doesnt matter....how can it not matter?

the answer to the riddle is "because you'll be together"

thats it....the way they were telling it throughout the movie, wasnt in riddle form

Forum Pro
Law
:mrgreen:

Yep its a riddle. :) (Mal says so )

Jonas Agersø wrote:Yep its a riddle. :) (Mal says so )

Its not a riddle..she turns it into a riddle

"You're waiting for a train...because you'll be together" is not a riddle

"You're waiting for a train...but it doesnt matter, how can it not matter?" Is a riddle...the answer is "because you'll be together"

Man you guys are overanalyzing the crap out of this movie...its so straight forward

talli wrote:
"You're waiting for a train...because you'll be together" is not a riddle
No, but thats not how it goes? Since the thread is about the riddle quote, lets start from that:

Mal: I'll tell you a riddle: you're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter. How can it not matter to you where the train will take you?
Cobb: Because you'll be together.

But later it is straight forward as you said:

Mal: You're waiting for a train. A train that will take you far away. You know where you hope the train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter because we'll be together.

Its a pretty straight forward riddle, but it doesn't make it any less of a riddle.
Im not overanalyzing, just saying its a riddle none the less. ;)