"So you're waiting for a train..." Riddle meaning?

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Jonas Agersø wrote:
talli wrote:
"You're waiting for a train...because you'll be together" is not a riddle
No, but thats not how it goes? Since the thread is about the riddle quote, lets start from that:

Mal: I'll tell you a riddle: you're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter. How can it not matter to you where the train will take you?
Cobb: Because you'll be together.

But later it is straight forward as you said:

Mal: You're waiting for a train. A train that will take you far away. You know where you hope the train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter because we'll be together.

Its a pretty straight forward riddle, but it doesn't make it any less of a riddle.
Im not overanalyzing, just saying its a riddle none the less. ;)
Riddle...NOLAN IS FORESHADOWING THE RIDDLER.

chee wrote: Riddle...NOLAN IS FORESHADOWING THE RIDDLER.

lmao....Nolan would officially be an asshole if he did that on purpose...just to have every film reference every single one of his future films

Forum Pro
Law
talli wrote:

lmao....Nolan would officially be an asshole if he did that on purpose...just to have every film reference every single one of his future films
haha good call

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw the movie the first time!

I can't believe it's possible to see this movie three times and not notice Mal saying I'll tell you a riddle.

Why come on a site called Nolanfans and then complain when people are analyzing the film? I work at a movie theater so I've been able to spend some time with the film. If you think this film is pretty straight forward, you should probably see it again.

Every line seems to be important and meticulously set. This is especially true for the dialouge between Cobb and Mal/Cobb and Ariadane. This film is intentionally layered. When Mal tells Ariadane "I'll tell you a ridde", I believe it is Nolan hinting to the audience that there is something down there. I'm not sure the answer is "because you'll be together" though. I think there is more to it than that. "Because you'll be together" is the answer to why it does not matter, but there is more there. I think "you'll" might be another hint, but maybe not.

He didn't use the train because they were at the train tracks (as if they were just walking by and Cobb said, yeah that will do, now just to make up some shit about trains and get this over with)! The train is used (both physically and figuratively) as a methd of transition. You don't see him convince her to kill herself, just walk with her to the tracks and say the lines.

talli wrote:

you sure? i saw the movie 3 times i dont remember hearing that...when does she say it?
ive seen it 9 times...and yes Mal does use the word 'riddle' to Ariadne...

Leap0Faith wrote: If you think this film is pretty straight forward, you should probably see it again.

Nolan too, has said that the film is straight forward....i guess he needs to see it again :roll: ...you're a genius :clap:

talli wrote:
Leap0Faith wrote: If you think this film is pretty straight forward, you should probably see it again.

Nolan too, has said that the film is straight forward....i guess he needs to see it again :roll: ...you're a genius :clap:
haha. I think he was just talking about the structure of the film there not the obviously multi-layered story. I think he was saying the movie isn't extremely chronologically mixed up like memento.

FilmgirlAP wrote:I only just saw Inception last night (loved it), and I'm trying to decipher a few things about the movie...starting with the riddle (it's bugging me a bit). :think:

What exactly is the riddle though and what do Mal and Dom mean by saying it to eachother? Is it explaining how unpredictable the journey into a dream is or something else?

I know the jist of the riddle goes something like this:

"So you waiting for train, and you know it will take you far away..."

Can someone help me out?

**Sorry if this has been discussed before**
its about one of the main themes of the movie: taking a leap of faith.

This is a part of COBB's inception. Yes I said it....COBB's inception.