Fisher the only one with an army of hostile projections?Why?

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Why is Fisher the only one with an army of hostile projections? Aren't the rules of the game that everyone who isn't hosting the dream populates it with projections, so why don't all the team of extractors have their own (presumably well-trained) armies?

It seems to me that the host can't populate the dream, since the chemist is the host of the first dream; and the mark can't populate the dream, since dicaprio isn't the mark of the training in paris dream, but all the hostile projections in that dream are populated by him. He does however bring Mol in with him when the team is conducting the inception caper, but why only her? Also the English forger is able to project Browning as well as 'forge' him - but why does Fisher have an army and the rest of them only have one or two - though Dicaprio had a whole city of them in the training dream?

he is a wealthy man with responsibility so his mind would have been trained to defend his subconscious

Granted, but he's been trained by an extractor, and most of Cobb's team are expert extractors, which means their capacity to defend or attack foreign influence would be greater than Fishers, no?

Dicaprio didn't feel that his secret was assaulted in any way and mainly because in a way it being his burden he maybe wanted to share it with someone that would understand. Ofc sharing it wasn't his goal, it happened inevitably though. In Cobb's dream he 1st knew it was a dream and 2nd knew the goal of it. There wouldn't be a reason for an army. On the other hand Mal was kind of violent in his dream and out of control ofcourse and she wanted to kill Ariadne so she acted kind of like an army (like protecting a secret and still wanting to provoke Cobb) but she was like that in all dream levels.

As for the crew not being able to bring in their own army into the subject's dream.. Isn't it obvious? If they did brought armies (even if they were able to) it would raise the alarms and it would give a start to a war within the dream and I mean a real war (and god knows, maybe the subject would wake up too or just catapult himself into an unknown dream or region, maybe limbo, I dunno).

The mission was supposed to be as subtle as it can get in the first 2 levels, a con-man job. If they wanted a war they would've stayed in reality and kill Fisher.

Oh and not to mention that even if the crew could 'forge armies' within the subject's dream those armies wouldn't really be very professional or helpful at all (remember their aiming skills? in all levels? those armies were just plain stupid)

It still seems to me that a war within a dream would have been preferable to the extractors being vulnerable to being killed in the dream (under sedation), as Saito's wound caused all sorts of bother.

mackenho wrote:It still seems to me that a war within a dream would have been preferable to the extractors being vulnerable to being killed in the dream (under sedation), as Saito's wound caused all sorts of bother.
The projections within the dream are specifically hostile to the "dreamer" (i.e. the creator of the dreamworld); we first see this when Cobb is training Ariadne. Likewise, the projections in the hotel aren't interested in everyone's sleeping bodies; they're interested in killing off Arthur, who is the dreamer for that level.

In any case, the important thing to recognize is this: If the team had "militarized" their subconsciouses, they would each create an army of projections that would not be fighting a war against one another, but would instead be working together to hunt down the dreamer. For obvious reasons, this would be very, very detrimental to the team's mission.

@ mackenho - Please note that such posts are to be made on the Spoiler board. There are still lots of fans who haven't watched Inception. Keep the main board spoiler-free.

MrFang wrote:]

The projections within the dream are specifically hostile to the "dreamer" (i.e. the creator of the dreamworld); we first see this when Cobb is training Ariadne. Likewise, the projections in the hotel aren't interested in everyone's sleeping bodies; they're interested in killing off Arthur, who is the dreamer for that level.

In any case, the important thing to recognize is this: If the team had "militarized" their subconsciouses, they would each create an army of projections that would not be fighting a war against one another, but would instead be working together to hunt down the dreamer. For obvious reasons, this would be very, very detrimental to the team's mission.
Do the people in the hotel bar not give Cobb some filthy looks at one point? And in the snow fortress, Fisher's projections are trying to attack the whole team - while Mal (Cobb's projection) kills Fisher, who's not the dreamer. Is that relevant? Sorry if I'm being slow.

Your second point seems to rely on the truth of the first though.

Point taken about the spoiler forum too - am new to this.

The other thing I think is questionable is equating 'training' subconscious projections with 'militarising' them. Fishers projections aiming at Arthur etc seem to behave in a fairly sophisticated way (likewise the english forger's projection (not imitation) of Browning) - it doesn't seem a stretch to assume that each of the excavating team members could train their projections to perform functions more useful to the task at hand than just hunting Fisher down.

no, there is only one subject in a dream, and it is his subconscious that fills the dream

Cobb has effectively created a projection so strong and independent in his subconscious that he cant keep her out of any dream he is in...that is why she always shows up