Top Spinning Interpretations

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
I came up with two possible interpretations of the "spinning top cliffhanger." They are mutually exclusive to one another.

The "Was Mal right?" interpretation:

TL;DR - When Mal jumped out the hotel window, she didn't die. She woke up. Dom is stuck in limbo, signified by the spinning top at the end.
  1. Assume the top falls over at the end of the film.
    • Mal and Dom fall into limbo for fifty years.
    • They "kick" out of limbo by committing suicide by train.
    • Mal incorrectly believes they are still dreaming and jumps off the hotel ledge to her death.
    • The plot pans out exactly as seen--a thought-provoking movie nonetheless.
  2. Assume the top keeps spinning at the end of the film.
    • Mal and Dom fall into limbo for fifty years.
    • They think they "kicked" out of limbo by committing suicide by train.
    • Mal correctly believes they are still dreaming and jumps off the hotel ledge to her wakefulness.
    • Everything we see in the movie is within Dom's limbo dream. This explains the "only in dreams" logic we sometimes encounter:
      • Buildings impossibly squeezing in on Dom, who Saito amazingly saves at the last moment.
      • Mal's impressively orchestrated suicide jump. Dom finds her at the opposite window.
    • Wow! What a mindfunk!
The "Did Dom make it?" interpretation:

TL;DR - During Fischer's inception on the plane, everyone but Dom (and maybe Taito) wake up. Dom is stuck in limbo, signified by the spinning top at the end.
  1. Assume the top falls over at the end of the film.
    • Dom is awake before the plane ride.
    • During the inception, Dom, Ariadne, Fischer, and Taito descend to the fourth level.
    • Four team members and Fischer kick back to wakefulness right away.
    • When Dom washes ashore, Taito is an old man because he entered limbo sooner.
    • Taito and Dom realize they're in limbo.
    • Taito shoots Dom and then himself, kicking them back to wakefulness.
    • Dom reconciles old demons, successfully plants the inception, and finally sees his kids--wow, great movie.
  2. Assume the top keeps spinning at the end of the film.
    • Dom is awake before the plane ride.
    • During the inception, Dom, Ariadne, Fischer, and Taito descend to the fourth level.
    • Ariadne had warned Dom how he may become lost in his limbo state.
    • Everyone but Dom and Taito kick back to wakefulness.
    • When Dom washes ashore, Taito is an old man because he entered limbo sooner.
    • Dom loses track of reality in limbo (as Mal once had done)
    • Dom dreams he wakes up with the rest of the gang and sees his kids.
    • Wow! What a mindfunk!
Please tell me what you think (and if and why I'm wrong). I'm sure these ideas may have been brought up before.

JRM
Hm. But if Mal woke up from dreaming after she threw herself from the hotel ledge, wouldn't she wake up Cobb afterward? :think:

I need to see this movie again. :JGLface:

If that were the case, Dom wouldn't have opposed to when Eames was going to shoot Taito (they could've just woke him up out of limbo later on).

carwashguy wrote:If that were the case, Dom wouldn't have opposed to when Eames was going to shoot Taito (they could've just woke him up out of limbo later on).
And you think they planned to go to limbo all along. Absolutely not. They wanted to stay out of limbo. Only reason was when their subject went to limbo. It was a necessity at that point and only one level further down.

bmneu wrote:
carwashguy wrote:If that were the case, Dom wouldn't have opposed to when Eames was going to shoot Taito (they could've just woke him up out of limbo later on).
And you think they planned to go to limbo all along. Absolutely not. They wanted to stay out of limbo. Only reason was when their subject went to limbo. It was a necessity at that point and only one level further down.
I don't think they planned to go to limbo. I was just showing JRM why Mal wouldn't theoretically be able to wake up Cobb after having woke up herself. As I put it in another post,

"I assume they didn't want to risk going to limbo in the first place because they would risk losing themselves (thinking limbo is reality). Also at risk: they could spend many, many years in limbo before getting out. So it's reasonable to conclude that they wouldn't want to "kill yourself to limbo--then kill yourself again to wake up."

JRM wrote:Hm. But if Mal woke up from dreaming after she threw herself from the hotel ledge, wouldn't she wake up Cobb afterward? :think:

I need to see this movie again. :JGLface:

no because everything in the dream is occuring between the moment mal kills herself and the moment she wakes up....if Dom eventually does wake up, then he will wake up only a fraction of a second after Mal.

talli wrote:
JRM wrote:if Dom eventually does wake up, then he will wake up only a fraction of a second after Mal.
This is good stuff. If we assume Mal and Dom's experiment into limbo compounds time similarly to how they say the levels compound in Fischer's inception (which could very well not be the case, but let's go with it for this example), then:
(1 real second) x 20 (level 1) x 20 (level 2) x 20 (level 3) x 20 (limbo) = 160,000 limbo seconds.

So 1 real second computes to,
level 1 = 20 seconds
level 2 = 6 minutes and 40 seconds
level 3 = 2 hours and 13 minutes
level 4 = 1 year and 10 months

So if Mal died (thus waking up) two years ago in Dom's limbo time, only 1.08 seconds have passed during her newly wakeful state .