How Inception Could Have Been Better

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
If Chris Nolan didn't make a film that was a metaphor for filmmaking or whatever the theories are - and just made a great action/adventure film, Inception could have been so much greater. Nolan is too obsessed with being smart, and constructing films in a way that make them interesting, but not great. Inception reminds me of 'The Fountain' and also of 'The Village.' This is about a filmmaker indulging in himself; the finished film is not really for an audience. An esoteric mess that only the person who conceived it can enjoy and relate to. And that person, in this case, is Chris Nolan. Why couldn't Inception be about a team of people that enter dreams and the complications that arise that keep them from accomplishing their final goal???? Instead, Nolan has resurrected a film that uses that premise as a thin veil to cover the audiences' eyes; the film is entirely something else, and not at all nearly as interesting as the original premise. The film is all a dream. From the strange names of the characters to the major plot holes and all the illogical things that happen through the course of the film. If one were to argue that the story is not all a dream, then we would be left with a mediocre heist picture that has so many plot holes and illogical goings-ons that it makes this film look closer to something David Lynch has done; a film that makes no sense; just an abstract mess. Can Nolan write a film from start to finish without using a gimmick? What if someone told you the Matrix was all in Neo's head while he was sleeping at his office? Wouldn't you feel cheated and disappointed? Inception is a film that looks to cheat. And if it doesn't cheat and the theory that it is a dream does not work for you, then what is the other alternative? The alternative would be a straight adventure film where everything is real. If so, the film is a major disappointment: there are major plot holes, made-up rules, and a number of incorrect and ludicrous moments. It's too absurd to be real. And too disappointing to be just a dream. Inception is a mess.

How sweet would Inception have been if each character had a huge stake in being part of the Fischer operation and now had to battle his army knowing that if they died they would fall in limbo and be forever lost (limbo has to equal death in the dream world). Instead Nolan's limbo is no threat at all because people can be retrieved and navigate out of it. There is no threat. But I guess it was all a dream, huh? ZZZZzzzzzzz........
Last edited by sallygucha on July 20th, 2010, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apw
sallygucha wrote:Why couldn't Inception be about a team of people that enter dreams and the complications that arise that keep them from accomplishing their final goal????
It was.

apw wrote:
sallygucha wrote:Why couldn't Inception be about a team of people that enter dreams and the complications that arise that keep them from accomplishing their final goal????
It was.
It was, but with no real threat. And no real stakes. That's because it was all a dream, and that is just lame IMO.

Personally, I don't think Nolan ever consciously made it as a metaphor for anything. He was creating a film that he felt was his way of making a good movie. It's like everyone calling Batman a George W. Bush analogy. It never crossed his mind (he said so) to make it like that. It turned out the way it did.

sallygucha wrote:
apw wrote: It was.
It was, but with no real threat. And no real stakes. That's because it was all a dream, and that is just lame IMO.
It being a dream is just one of the many different interpretations. I'm with Dileep here in that I walk away feeling that it's real.

I stopped reading this rant when inception was compared to the village. :lol:

apw
CroissantRoll wrote:I stopped reading this rant when inception was compared to the village. :lol:
The whole post is totally bizarre. I almost didn't respond.

I totally understand this because the film is really open to interpretation. People can walk away with totally different ideas about the movie. sally was just disappointed with what she came away with.

CroissantRoll wrote:I stopped reading this rant when inception was compared to the village. :lol:
I'm not comparing it to The Village in terms of quality - I'm saying that filmmakers take a certain liberty when they write their own stuff, just like shyamalan did with the village.

niniendowarrior wrote:I totally understand this because the film is really open to interpretation. People can walk away with totally different ideas about the movie. sally was just disappointed with what she came away with.
exactly. I love films that have one clear ending, but can take you somewhere else if you choose. with inception there are too many possibilities and only one of them makes sense logically.