How Inception Could Have Been Better

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Armandhammer wrote: But every film needs that ... sense of real danger
I just didn’t find the stakes/scale of the movie high enough
Every film? Well why can't a film be about just solving a puzzle or figuring something out?

There are senses of danger in Memento and Inception, yet both movies are more like puzzles for the audience. Danger might not necessarily have been the driving factor in these movies, but a mental challenge or story-based question for the viewer can be.

I don't understand why people are so hellbent on sensationalism in movies nowadays. I mean yes it's really fun, we could use an Avatar or Transformers 2 once in a while, but "smart" movies would like to get a piece of the pie as well.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Cilogy wrote:
Armandhammer wrote: But every film needs that ... sense of real danger
I just didn’t find the stakes/scale of the movie high enough
Every film? Well why can't a film be about just solving a puzzle or figuring something out?

There are senses of danger in Memento and Inception, yet both movies are more like puzzles for the audience. Danger might not necessarily have been the driving factor in these movies, but a mental challenge or story-based question for the viewer can be.

I don't understand why people are so hellbent on sensationalism in movies nowadays. I mean yes it's really fun, we could use an Avatar or Transformers 2 once in a while, but "smart" movies would like to get a piece of the pie as well.
Again, I’m going to have to disagree. The driving force behind all movies, including Nolan’s, is that “real” sense of danger. Like I said:

Memento = false sense that protagonist will confront murderer/murderer will strike again/murderer is hunting him (climax).

Insomnia = murderer

The Prestige = Two magicians wanting to reach unfathomable heights risking everything/leaves audience guessing which is going to succeed

Batman Begins = Ghul

The Dark Knight = Joker

Yes, smart films are most welcome. But without this real sense of danger, why would any audience member want to watch someone solve a puzzle without any stakes? It’s like showing Batman working in the lab for 2 hours without him confronting the Joker for example.

Keep it puzzling at mind bending, of course, but give the audience that sense if Cobb fails, then the whole team will be trapped in Limbo etc…

Again, Limbo being explored plus the fact that Cobb blurted out loud that “Okay, so the mission is over” didn’t help the intensity level at all.

The points in the article (some of them) have extremely well written points.

Have the projections ignore gunfire/manipulate the world around them. Have another team of extractors racing to intercept Cobb and his team … etc

Thinking about it and what Nolan said about James Bond, It's really a new version of On Her Majesties Secret service, the film and sound track. I mean Just watch this Bond film and see, that really is not a mission by Bond, but a Industrial espionage mission.

I think there was a protagonist, it was their minds. Especially Cobb's. It was fighting against him from the opening scene. I dont know about the rest of you but losing a battle with my mind would probably mean insanity. Limbo in sleep or a coma would probably be just living in your dreams, to me falling victim to your own mind would be disasterous.

I liked that there wasn't a out and out bad guy.

So bored with the cliche bad guy.

Samuel R. Jankis wrote:I liked that there wasn't a out and out bad guy.

Yea, I thought Saito was going to be the baddie with a twist that JGL was the true bad guy but holy crap was I proved wrong.

chee wrote:

Yea, I thought Saito was going to be the baddie with a twist that JGL was the true bad guy but holy crap was I proved wrong.
Yikes that would have been horrible.

Watching 'Inception', to me, is like watching a 'Mission: Impossible' episode. The characters aren't necessarily three-dimensional and have emotional back stories, but they do their job. There isn't a true bad guy or good guy all the time (though some time there is). It's about getting the job done. I think a lot of people over-analyze Inception and want something deeper from the characters and plot when really its just a more complicated Heist film with more adult themes.

why does everyone assume that the addition of a "bad guy" makes him/her auto cliche?

Yeah, I'm just going to reiterate what Redfirebird was talking about. All of these posts that are trying to implore elements that would "make it better" are not the reasons why I love Nolan as a filmmaker. "Being more straightforward" "Having a clear-cut, central villain"... Why can't people just accept the fact that this movie is... D.I.F.F.E.R.E.N.T ....? I thought it was incredible. I have no qualms whatsoever. Peace out, I won't be back to this thread.

niniendowarrior wrote:Personally, I don't think Nolan ever consciously made it as a metaphor for anything. He was creating a film that he felt was his way of making a good movie.
Amen.