INCEPTION Meme Thread

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
This is were we should put all fan art, internet jokes, memes, etc relating to the movie. (LOLCats and such)

KyleTerry wrote:
Those aren't memes.

I don't even know what a Meme is. :lol:

niniendowarrior wrote:I don't even know what a Meme is. :lol:
"At its most basic, an Internet meme is simply the propagation of a digital file or hyperlink from one person to others using methods available through the Internet (for example, email, blogs, social networking sites, instant messaging, etc). The content often consists of a saying or joke, a rumor, an altered or original image, a complete website, a video clip or animation, or an offbeat news story, among many other possibilities. In simple terms, an Internet meme is an inside joke, that a large number of Internet users are in on. An Internet meme may stay the same or may evolve over time, by chance or through commentary, imitations, and parody versions, or even by collecting news accounts about itself. Internet memes have a tendency to evolve and spread extremely swiftly, sometimes going in and out of popularity in just days. They are spread organically, voluntarily, and peer to peer, rather than by compulsion, predetermined path, or completely automated means. The term "Meme" was coined by Richard Dawkins in his 1976 popular science bestseller, The Selfish Gene.

The term may refer to the content that spreads from user to user, the idea behind the content, or the phenomenon of its spread. Internet memes have been seen as a form of art."

Wikipedia. :D

How do you pronounce meme? Is it me me? Or is it meh-meh?

akv1984 wrote:How do you pronounce meme? Is it me me? Or is it meh-meh?
Umm...kinda like "meem" I suppose.

Here are some sigs I made before the movie came out:

akv1984 wrote:How do you pronounce meme? Is it me me? Or is it meh-meh?
Meme is pronounce like Gene. It is an actual scientific study called Memetics. A REAL meme is a cultural idea that gets passed on from person to person and survives in society. Like...um...religion. Or the song Happy Birthday. The scientist who proposed and gave birth to this field of study, which is perused by many people including Malcolm Gladwell

More or less, its a cultural gene.

But in terms of the internet/pop culture, it would be something like Bud's "WHAASSSSSUP?!" or....when people start mimmicking commercials and movies and whatnot, and it becomes part of every day thought and speech.

For internet, the dancing baby in the 90s was memetic. So basically its something you would see pop up in emails and message boards.

Meme (rhymes with scene)and memetic/memetics are great words to use. It was started by Richard Dawkins. The book "The Selfish Gene" goes into great detail on it.

BTW, who the hell is Kyle Terry?