INCEPTION Meme Thread

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
sickofsickness wrote:
akv1984 wrote:How do you pronounce meme? Is it me me? Or is it meh-meh?
Meme is pronounce like Gene. It is an actual scientific study called Memetics. A REAL meme is a cultural idea that gets passed on from person to person and survives in society. Like...um...religion. Or the song Happy Birthday. The scientist who proposed and gave birth to this field of study, which is perused by many people including Malcolm Gladwell

More or less, its a cultural gene.

But in terms of the internet/pop culture, it would be something like Bud's "WHAASSSSSUP?!" or....when people start mimmicking commercials and movies and whatnot, and it becomes part of every day thought and speech.

For internet, the dancing baby in the 90s was memetic. So basically its something you would see pop up in emails and message boards.

Meme (rhymes with scene)and memetic/memetics are great words to use. It was started by Richard Dawkins. The book "The Selfish Gene" goes into great detail on it.
Thanks!

akv1984 wrote:
sickofsickness wrote:
Meme is pronounce like Gene. It is an actual scientific study called Memetics. A REAL meme is a cultural idea that gets passed on from person to person and survives in society. Like...um...religion. Or the song Happy Birthday. The scientist who proposed and gave birth to this field of study, which is perused by many people including Malcolm Gladwell

More or less, its a cultural gene.

But in terms of the internet/pop culture, it would be something like Bud's "WHAASSSSSUP?!" or....when people start mimmicking commercials and movies and whatnot, and it becomes part of every day thought and speech.

For internet, the dancing baby in the 90s was memetic. So basically its something you would see pop up in emails and message boards.

Meme (rhymes with scene)and memetic/memetics are great words to use. It was started by Richard Dawkins. The book "The Selfish Gene" goes into great detail on it.
Thanks!
Sure. And I was reading more about it again, because I talk about memes and memetics alot. The simplest way to describe it is self-reproducing ideas. And to tie it into the context of Inception, is the idea that what we know, the world we call reality, may not in fact be "real" or what we think it is. That idea certainly isn't new, and in fact, I think its inherent in our nature to question the veracity of our own existence. So...yeah, given that that idea spreads from person to person organically would be memetic.

I will say though that the term 'internet meme' isnt a true meme. Its somewhat of a misnomer. But the idea of it being passed around is pretty much how memes spread. And when it catches on, its a strong one. Bad memes, like bad genes, die off...

chee wrote:Image
:lol:
That's great!

Found some more on the Inception livejournal com.

chee wrote:Found some more on the Inception livejournal com.

I wouldn't mind that. :D

Me neither. JGL is hot. :lol:

chee wrote:Me neither. JGL is hot. :lol:
Indeed! I often find myself just staring at your avatar and sig. He is so cute! I want to pinch his cheeks for all eternity and tickle his nose!

chee wrote:Found some more on the Inception livejournal com.

SHARED!

I love this one! Who is the girl though?

Just made this one.

[original meme]

If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.