An Illustrated Guide To the 5 Levels of Inception

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.

the kick system shown in the diagram is absolutely wrong.

waveking wrote:the kick system shown in the diagram is absolutely wrong.
yea, all the arrows are supposed to be moved 1 level down

the kick system in the diagram doesnt seem wont to me. its just saying what the kick is that happens on each level.

The kicks are fine on the illustration, not sure why you think they are wrong.

The only gripe I have with it is they include "reality" as Level 1. Depending on how you look at it I guess that's correct, but I tend to exclude reality since we are talking about 1st level dream, 2nd levl dream, etc.

And I thought snow level was Fischer's dream? They lied about who was dreaming - remember that line, we're using Fischer to hack into his own subconscious.

iamse7en wrote:And I thought snow level was Fischer's dream? They lied about who was dreaming - remember that line, we're using Fischer to hack into his own subconscious.
Nope, it's Eames' dream. Think of it this way, the dreamer creates the world/level/design of the dream. The mark fills that dream with their subconsciousness.

If Fischer were the dreamer for the hospital snow fortress, it wouldn't look anything like Ariadne's design. Her sketches of the snow fortress tower are visible in earlier scenes when they are planning the job. Also, they're very clear that it was Eames who added the shortcut to the level. Ariadne makes this clear to Cobb who then radios the information to Saito and Fischer so that they have time to make it inside.

Nice visual guide, but I disagree with them including reality as a level.

I really wouldn't count "reality" as the first level, but whatever, still a good diagram.

Well according to that diagram, the van hitting the water should have woken them up. It says:

Limbo- Fischer and Adriane fall, bringing them to 3.
Snow fortress- The building collapses, bringing them to 2.
Hotel- The elevator scene, bringing them to 1.
Van- The water... which should bring them to reality. It doesn't.
Reality- The timer runs out.

He is missing, or adding an unused kick somewhere. Either that, or he believes there is a difference between a limbo kick and a dream level kick, which he doesn't explain. But then if that were the case, the snow fortress collapse would have been unnecessary for a kick.