The Kick

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
I like the whole push-pull kick theory and everything seem to works in the movie...

BUT because of that theory i have a question :

they told us that the flight is about 10 hours, and that the time is "slower" in each level of dream..

so in level 1 dream, 10 hours should be a week or something like that ... ? (i think ? confirm it.. )

Like we saw in the movie and in the theory, the fact that the van fall doesnt kick them out of the dream level 1 because ( assuming the theory is good ) there is no pull from the reality level ( in the plane.. )

So.. My question is : HOW THEY GET OUT OF LEVEL 1 ?? i mean if they are not kicked out, they have to wait for the sedative to finish to get out so they are supposed to live like 1 week in that level 1 ... with all those armed guys, and the fact that they had difficulty to live 3 hours, i'm assuming that they could never reach 1 week..

If someone can explain me that, please do it !

Sn0wBuZzED wrote:I like the whole push-pull kick theory and everything seem to works in the movie...

BUT because of that theory i have a question :

they told us that the flight is about 10 hours, and that the time is "slower" in each level of dream..

so in level 1 dream, 10 hours should be a week or something like that ... ? (i think ? confirm it.. )

Like we saw in the movie and in the theory, the fact that the van fall doesnt kick them out of the dream level 1 because ( assuming the theory is good ) there is no pull from the reality level ( in the plane.. )

So.. My question is : HOW THEY GET OUT OF LEVEL 1 ?? i mean if they are not kicked out, they have to wait for the sedative to finish to get out so they are supposed to live like 1 week in that level 1 ... with all those armed guys, and the fact that they had difficulty to live 3 hours, i'm assuming that they could never reach 1 week..

If someone can explain me that, please do it !
Yup. I agree. I will be a week and there are some troubles with that. Some people ague that once the inception job was done, Fischers subconscious was de-militarized. BS in my opinion. That follows no logic whatsoever. Then there is the problem that Fischer will see the heist characters by face and would ruin the whole point of inception that it has to be planted without his knowing that anyone helped him. If he sees the people in level one (which he believes is reality), then he will know that Mr. Charles was, in fact, a hoax and the whole thing will unravel. THe point of the job was for him to think that, 1) Level one was reality and not ever know it was a dream prior to waking up on the plane, and 2) That Mr. Charles and the rest of the team was his own subconscious. Hard to do both of those when he sees you in level 1. This has also been "debunked" but with BS explanations in my opinion.

horsehead wrote:Some people seem to be coming to a consensus here, so I decided to register and prove you all wrong :D

Indeed, from what I've been reading on this site regarding the kicks, it seems like many people are overthinking it. The push/pull theories, the ability to resist or choose to "take" a kick, the necessity of synchronizing 2 kicks at once... I really believe it's much more straightforward than that.

That said, I haven't read every single post on the matter in this forum, so I don't pretend to be the first or only person to think of it this way.
Instead of reposting the whole quote, just know I'm replying to the whole reply, not just from above.

I just disagree. When I was reading through your reply, there were many times that I wondered if you have, in fact, read through the whole board post as everything in your reply has been argued and argued about. It's not simple. The movie isn't simple. The answers aren't simple, or there would be no banter about it. I agree that many, including myself are over thinking it. Those minds are the ones who need details and accurate processing with little flaws. Call us the skeptics. Prove me right with no errors, cause I haven't found a theory without them. (If the tone of my reply seems negative or too forward, I didn't intend it that way :).

bmneu wrote:
horsehead wrote:Some people seem to be coming to a consensus here, so I decided to register and prove you all wrong :D

Indeed, from what I've been reading on this site regarding the kicks, it seems like many people are overthinking it. The push/pull theories, the ability to resist or choose to "take" a kick, the necessity of synchronizing 2 kicks at once... I really believe it's much more straightforward than that.

That said, I haven't read every single post on the matter in this forum, so I don't pretend to be the first or only person to think of it this way.
Instead of reposting the whole quote, just know I'm replying to the whole reply, not just from above.

I just disagree. When I was reading through your reply, there were many times that I wondered if you have, in fact, read through the whole board post as everything in your reply has been argued and argued about. It's not simple. The movie isn't simple. The answers aren't simple, or there would be no banter about it. I agree that many, including myself are over thinking it. Those minds are the ones who need details and accurate processing with little flaws. Call us the skeptics. Prove me right with no errors, cause I haven't found a theory without them. (If the tone of my reply seems negative or too forward, I didn't intend it that way :).
If the tone in my original post came off condescending, I didn't intend it that way. Certainly the film isn't simple. I've spend hours upon hours thinking through the details, reading the work of other people on this site and other sites and trying to figure out if it all actually works logically. I just think it's a lot simpler than what it seems people are making it out to be. I don't think it's necessary to make up rules like the pull theory just to force things to make sense. Again, not trying to be condescending. The movie wouldn't be half as fun if we couldn't dissect it.

For the record, I read several pages into this thread, skimmed others, and read the last few pages. I also read through the other thread on kicks and I haven't seen anything that disproved anything in my post. Nor have I seen anyone explain it in detail quite the way I tried to. That doesn't mean they didn't, of course.

If you feel like indulging me, what errors are there in my theory? Briefly, generally.

horsehead wrote:If the tone in my original post came off condescending, I didn't intend it that way. Certainly the film isn't simple. I've spend hours upon hours thinking through the details, reading the work of other people on this site and other sites and trying to figure out if it all actually works logically. I just think it's a lot simpler than what it seems people are making it out to be. I don't think it's necessary to make up rules like the pull theory just to force things to make sense. Again, not trying to be condescending. The movie wouldn't be half as fun if we couldn't dissect it.

For the record, I read several pages into this thread, skimmed others, and read the last few pages. I also read through the other thread on kicks and I haven't seen anything that disproved anything in my post. Nor have I seen anyone explain it in detail quite the way I tried to. That doesn't mean they didn't, of course.

If you feel like indulging me, what errors are there in my theory? Briefly, generally.
The only reason why I think your logic is flawed is because that is where I started prior to the post. I teetered, I tottered, then I posted, then I changed, then went back, found knew discrepancies, etc. It’s just that its a flawed movie (storytelling logic) not that your theory is flawed. All of them are.

“The only ways we see a dreamer exit a dream level in the film are through death or free fall in the dream.”

The first time a kick is shown, Arthur is pushed from a chair and wakes up. This happens again the next flash scene after.

"It's also implied in certain intances that a character can simply run out the clock, but I can't remember if we see it happen on screen."

This is shown in the scene after, describing how music can be a warning. Arthur and Ariadne are laying in lawn chairs in the warehouse and the music is playing to test the music warning that the timer on the dream sharing machine is running out. This is also shown on the train, when the asian character plays music in the architects ears in warning. Arthur was pulled out because of time running out; he disappears from Saito’s apartment.

"Maybe when Cobb is testing Yusuf's sedative? At any rate, I assume that's how they wake up from level 1 to the plane because they wake up just as they are descending in L.A."

From prior, I agree on this statement, though it comes with its own problems during the Level 1 “wait-out”.

"Since you have to fall in the dream, if you are asleep in the dream level you are falling in, you will not wake up."

Yusuf does in fact fall in the van, but is not awakened on the plane, even though he specifically says that the inner ear function is not hindered.

"That is why Arthur does not wake up when the van is falling. To wake up in the van, he has to fall in the hotel."

Agreed, under this theory.

"During the Cobol job at the beginning of the film, Cobb doesn't wake up when they push over his chair. He doesn't wake up when he hits the water. He wakes up when the waves come crashing down on him within the dream. There is no "pull.'"

According to Arthur falling from the chair and waking, this is a mistake. Either this is, or Arthur falling from the chair is. Either way, it is inconsistent.

"At that moment they awake from the previous level just in time to experience the feeling of free fall,..."

According to your logic, Arthur would have felt the free fall much earlier. I personally believe that the free fall effect didn’t happen until the elevator hit the shaft floor, thereby the elevator thrusting all from the roof of the elevator to the now destroyed floor of the elevator.

"...it was necessary as a plot device for Cobb to drown in the van so that he could end up in Saito's limbo)."

Limbo is a state of mind, not a place, presumably in the lowest level of the mind, the fully subconscious mind. Therefore, he did not need to drown in the van to reach limbo, he was already in limbo. He only had to travel from the space he constructed from his subconscious to the space Saito constructed within the subconscious. Remember that the subconscious space was shared. I could construct a building or world right next or within yours, and vice versa.

Now, as your reading this, you must be going, “Yup, I know”, “Yup, I know”, “I stated that inconsistency. With any (and presumably large) inconsistency’s that this simple and concise theory creates or ignores to elliminate, how can you say that your theory hold up better than any other with just the same (yet opposite) inconsistencies that they create. Show me a simple and concise theory that has no inconsistencies.

I believe that the Pull Theory is the intended one as that is how a “Kick” is introduced to us as (visually with simplified narrative). That comes with its own errors. Only the Push+Pull theory removes all inconsistencies though it is obvious to me that it was not the intended narrative and has just one inconsistency (being inner ear function is not hindered in the slightest).

It’s all the same, all with errors, the movie is flawed, and that is that. Therefore, so is your theory, but again, as an error in the movie and not your intelligence.

If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Haha, so THAT'S what this movie is about. I GET IT!!!!!!!

Oh yeah. I forgot those "run out the clock" moments. I’ll comment on a few more of your points just for fun, even though I think we’ve reached a kind of accord, as you’ll see at the bottom of my post. I appreciate you taking the time to respond so thoroughly, by the way.
bmneu wrote: According to your logic, Arthur would have felt the free fall much earlier. I personally believe that the free fall effect didn’t happen until the elevator hit the shaft floor, thereby the elevator thrusting all from the roof of the elevator to the now destroyed floor of the elevator.
I think I said too that free fall occurs when the elevator hits the floor in my original post. The elevator was being propelled like a roller coaster, and not behaving as a falling object. I’m no physics wiz but I’ve made the assumption that they wouldn’t feel free fall until the elevator stopped.

Though if that’s the case, I believe Arthur experiences a similar feeling, or at least it looks like it, when the van hits the bridge rail and he’s propelled forward. Like you said, the movie is flawed!
bmneu wrote: Limbo is a state of mind, not a place, presumably in the lowest level of the mind, the fully subconscious mind. Therefore, he did not need to drown in the van to reach limbo, he was already in limbo. He only had to travel from the space he constructed from his subconscious to the space Saito constructed within the subconscious. Remember that the subconscious space was shared. I could construct a building or world right next or within yours, and vice versa.
Up to this point at the end, the washing up on the shore shots always seem to be intended to tell the audience when a character is arriving in limbo. That’s why I feel the need to explain why he suddenly does this again outside of Saito’s place after he’s already been there.
bmneu wrote: Only the Push+Pull theory removes all inconsistencies though it is obvious to me that it was not the intended narrative and has just one inconsistency (being inner ear function is not hindered in the slightest).
I’m glad you agree that the push/pull was not the intended narrative. That was one of the broad points I was trying to make originally. That we should be dissecting/accepting/turning our attention to those smaller inconsistencies and errors, rather than manufacturing rules and logic to make the rest of the film make sense in light of them.

I never believed my theory was air tight, but now I see that I may have been arrogant in asserting which errors to consider THE errors, because if you ignore certain other aspects and call them an error, another interpretation can make sense (The Arthur chair scenes are inconsistent in the push theory, but make sense in the pull theory. Arthur not waking up in the van is inconsistent in the pull theory, but makes sense to the push theory). It’s a matter of opinion what the intended narrative was in a flawed film. I see that now. I still think I’m right though :lol:

bmneu wrote:Haha, so THAT'S what this movie is about. I GET IT!!!!!!!
That's what I genuinely feel like while reading the replies to this thread. People are over analyzing things in this movie SO much.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Cilogy wrote:Image
This looks like Buzz and Woody after they got really crappy 9-5 jobs.