My Theory on Cobb and the Ending

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Dana wrote:
GunRanger wrote:The little boy sounded like a little boy on the phone and I don't think the girl sounded as old as people are making it out to be.
The coherency of the little boy was that of a 3 year old, not a 20 month old (I just talked saw a 20 month year old earlier today, all he said was "YAAAYOOGAA"). Moreover, the girl sounded resentful, something I think would stem more from two years of an absent father and slow disillusionment.
The son said "where's mommy" and that when Cobb said gone, he said "where?"

I knew plenty of kids that age that could speak like that

The "inconsitencies" in my theory that the whole move was a dream don't stand up. Remember Saito talks to the projection of Fischer's father's business partner when fischer is not around. Just because other parts of Cobb's team are talking to each other when cobb is not there does not mean they are real. Remember Cobb says you can't control your own subconscious. Cobb could haveimagined there was a slight romance between arthur and adriandne. Cobb created whole personalities in his mind. who's to say he wasn't aware of the kiss between Cobb and adriandne even if was on a subconscious level.

As far as the question of why would adriandne be asking so many questions if she was apart of Cobb. The answer is simple: Wouldn't a new recruit ask such questions?

GunRanger wrote:
The son said "where's mommy" and that when Cobb said gone, he said "where?"

I knew plenty of kids that age that could speak like that
I remember he said much more than that, asking why Cobb wasn't here, when he's coming back, etc. Cobb also indicates that he had explained to the son why he and Mal cannot come back; it's much more conceivable that Cobb explained it to the son when he was older. Even if Cobb explained it to the son when he was 20 months old, Cobb heavily implies that he thinks the son should understand, along the lines of "now I already told you-", so Cobb probably have had this conversation with the son a couple of times or at least at a time when he thought that his son would have understood.

jibbajabba wrote:The "inconsitencies" in my theory that the whole move was a dream don't stand up. Remember Saito talks to the projection of Fischer's father's business partner when fischer is not around. Just because other parts of Cobb's team are talking to each other when cobb is not there does not mean they are real. Remember Cobb says you can't control your own subconscious. Cobb could haveimagined there was a slight romance between arthur and adriandne. Cobb created whole personalities in his mind. who's to say he wasn't aware of the kiss between Cobb and adriandne even if was on a subconscious level.

As far as the question of why would adriandne be asking so many questions if she was apart of Cobb. The answer is simple: Wouldn't a new recruit ask such questions?
But the projection of Mr. Browning had a very direct effect on Fischer. If I remember correctly, that very same projection was later brought in to further confirm that the plan to instill the idea that Browning was the one who did the kidnapping worked. The projection responds to Saito because Saito, an entity separate from Fischer, interacts with it.

Your theory still has the same inconsistencies because the projections don't interact with *each other* on a basis that is not relevant to the dreamer.

I don't get how people could think that Cobb was dreaming throughout the movie. I think people are reading too much into that theory. Everything that happens in this movie really did happen bar the end. Where Cobb was still dreaming. Theories that he has been dreaming all along are just looking too much into it.

Mr. Browning having an effect on fischer is not the point. The point is a part of his mind is acting when he is not there. Even if hes talking to a real person it doesn't matter. Remember the subconscious throughout the entire movie is doing things that the dreamer is not aware of. All the guntoting bad guys are Fischer's own subconscious but he is not aware of what their doing.

Another point, In the last sequence when Cobb is getting off the plane. Nolan makes sure that we notice every character to the point that it made me curious. Why would Nolan do this before the reveal? Because he wants us to know that the characters are not real and never have been.

jibbajabba wrote:Mr. Browning having an effect on fischer is not the point. The point is a part of his mind is acting when he is not there. Even if hes talking to a real person it doesn't matter. Remember the subconscious throughout the entire movie is doing things that the dreamer is not aware of. All the guntoting bad guys are Fischer's own subconscious but he is not aware of what their doing.
I never said that the projections can't act on their own. They can do things that the dreamer is not aware of, but it has to relate to the dreamer. Browning obviously relates to Fischer, as does the gun-toting bad guys.

The romance/bickering has no relevance to Cobb. They act on their own, with each other, without any relevancy to Cobb.

jibbajabba wrote:Another point, In the last sequence when Cobb is getting off the plane. Nolan makes sure that we notice every character to the point that it made me curious. Why would Nolan do this before the reveal? Because he wants us to know that the characters are not real and never have been.
No... they were real. They just aren't real at the *end*. How does focusing on people make them not real? What evidence supports this claim?

its not profound evidence I'm just saying that Nolan took the time to have us focus on each character before the reveal. Look, if Nolan didn't want this theory to be a possibility then he would not have: Had Mal suggest to Cobb that the authorities chasing him were his subconsious, had Cobb not use his own totem ( plus mention that it's a way to prove you're not within Someone's elses dream but never said anything about you're own dream). The similaraties to the Prestige and Memento are numerous with this theory.Prestige- A movie that makes the most sense when you view it the second time. Mememto- lying to one's self to be happy.