Inception; 2nd time was also my 1st

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
On way home from 2nd viewing.

The past week has been absolutely hell for me. I won't get into it, but the crap has hit the fan from every angle. I've lost weight and sleep over it. needless to say, I've been an exhausted wreck.

I wanted to see this movie since I heard about it for the first time, and even though the timing of it coming out was coinciding with this fiasco, I thought it was a good way to get me out of the house, and to provide myself with a positive distraction.

When I left the theater the 1st time, I had goosebumps for days on end, and I was 100% sure I was 99% focused for it. I knew I needed a 2nd viewing because 1) hell, it needs one, and 2) to catch everything I missed the 1st time, from my distraction and fatigue, despite my best efforts to stay as focused as possible.

So I saw it again tonight. And man, while I rememebered everything from the 1st viewing, it was like I was seeing it for the 1st time. Obvious things now were crystal clear, I understand the story and all the "levels" of it brilliantly, and in addition to picking up subleties only a 2nd viewing would deliver...like Ariadne seeing the train from the elevator, I picked up on things I should have the 1st time, like what Tom Hardy was doing throughout.

so I am wondering if this fresh-eye experience I had was because the 2nd viewing does it, or was I too distracted the 1st time?

seems like I didn't pick up on things the first time around...or maybe I did...does anyone else feel the same?

Just got back form my 2nd viewing! I couldn't agree more! Everything makes sense now, it's all there on screen! wow! The beginning is just as important as the end! Nolan isn't trying to trick us, all we have to do to understand is pay attention! I loved it the 1st time but I loved it even more the 2nd

Probably gonna see it next weekend as well!
{=}

The Special One wrote:Just got back form my 2nd viewing! I couldn't agree more! Everything makes sense now, it's all there on screen! wow! The beginning is just as important as the end! Nolan isn't trying to trick us, all we have to do to understand is pay attention! I loved it the 1st time but I loved it even more the 2nd

Probably gonna see it next weekend as well!

Also...

-The bit with
the pinwheel in the photo/safe
went RIGHT OVER MY HEAD the first time...I didn't make the connection and missed it in the photo and even thought maybe it was his totem...like I said, I was not all there...THIS TIME i was much more focused.

I also realized, Cobb
never left the van.
, so do you think that
the ending was a dream, him deteriorating in limbo?
Lastly, this time around, something I didnt pick up on the first time, was just how dark and TOUCHING the movie was. I almost teared up.

First time, I HATED Mal. I thought she was a raging psycho bitch. This time, I had so much care and sympathy for her.

And I really think the movie is so so so so much more tragic, which I like.

Another thing I also missed was just how critical it was to have a successful Inception, and what the real-world ramifications of a failure would mean....

sickofsickness wrote:Another thing I also missed was just how critical it was to have a successful Inception, and what the real-world ramifications of a failure would mean....
Please, explain this to me! :think:
I'll going to see it again tonight.

ANONIMNIQ wrote:
sickofsickness wrote:Another thing I also missed was just how critical it was to have a successful Inception, and what the real-world ramifications of a failure would mean....
Please, explain this to me! :think:
I'll going to see it again tonight.
First time I saw it, and in the interim, I was struggling with this. I was like, "so, wait? so if they fail, so what? all of this is a dream? all these fight and chase sequences are kinda pointless..its just a videogame, more or less."

but upon 2nd viewing, and having discussions with fans back for more, it became apparent that not succeeding would result in any one of them falling into limbo, and suffering the real world ramifications of what happened to Mal...she was an example of what happens when an inception goes wrong...because you cannot be woken up from it. The sedation was SO intense that the Kicks would not wake them up. What happened to Saito is an example of it going wrong. So its not just a dream, because at that level, the farther down you go, the more real the affects are...hence, the dream is real.

Thank you! :thumbup:
I noticed part of this on my first viewing ... but "the farther down you go, the more real the affects are" makes more sense!

sickofsickness wrote:
First time I saw it, and in the interim, I was struggling with this. I was like, "so, wait? so if they fail, so what? all of this is a dream? all these fight and chase sequences are kinda pointless..its just a videogame, more or less."

but upon 2nd viewing, and having discussions with fans back for more, it became apparent that not succeeding would result in any one of them falling into limbo, and suffering the real world ramifications of what happened to Mal...she was an example of what happens when an inception goes wrong...because you cannot be woken up from it. The sedation was SO intense that the Kicks would not wake them up. What happened to Saito is an example of it going wrong. So its not just a dream, because at that level, the farther down you go, the more real the affects are...hence, the dream is real.
Sorry to sound stupid but if the Inception itself is not completed there are Limbo related consequences? Not simply if they die under heavy sedation? I thought the only thing that makes us care about the actual Inception itself working is Cobb getting back to his kids, am I wrong?

arizonabay wrote:
sickofsickness wrote:

Sorry to sound stupid but if the Inception itself is not completed there are Limbo related consequences? Not simply if they die under heavy sedation? I thought the only thing that makes us care about the actual Inception itself working is Cobb getting back to his kids, am I wrong?
Well its my understanding that 1) the whole point of the whole thing is to get back to his kids, yes.

BUT 2) inceptions are extraordinarily dangerous. i need to see it again, and I know it may be naive, but I need to find a way to justify the gravity of the importance of their success. I guess under heavy sedation-period-they could die or suffer real-world consequences, but what I took from it was that they were in a position where they would not simply wake back up on the plane and go "damn it, we f*cked up." What I got was that they needed to survive each level of the dreams with these novel chemicals....

I dont know. What I am saying, or trying to say is that what I need to justify to myself is that it was not simply a dream they can just get kicked out of....meaning that the job was actually more meaningful than getting the kids back/dissolving the company...it was phyically dangerous for all of them.

OH OH AND ANOTHER THING THAT WAS RIGHT OVER MY HEAD THE FIRST TIME:

Tom Hardy's
role as the forger. I didnt realize he played the laywer pretending to be tortured and the blonde in the lobby, who was really a hilarious exaggeration of a woman. She was like a caricature of a hot lady. I didnt realize he was more or less shapeshifting
I guess the sudden realization of this things caused me to laugh out loud in relief for picking up on it.

Wasn't until my third viewing that I realized why Arthur initially placed the charges on the ceiling of the fist hotel room (the kick).