How does Arthur stay asleep in the van?

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
My one major confusion with the movie. The sensation of falling is supposed to be the kick to wake someone up from a dream. The sedative used does not interfere with inner ear function. With this in mind, how does Arthur stay stay asleep in the van as it is either flipping over itself, or as it is in freefall? Wouldn't those falling sensations cause him to wake up from the hotel level 2 dream?

I still don't understand why level 3 and 4 did not become zero-G after the van start falling and level 2 turns into zero-G...

dmcn307 wrote:I still don't understand why level 3 and 4 did not become zero-G after the van start falling and level 2 turns into zero-G...

time differences and 4 was the subconcious aka out of human control...

wreid11 wrote:
dmcn307 wrote:I still don't understand why level 3 and 4 did not become zero-G after the van start falling and level 2 turns into zero-G...

time differences and 4 was the subconcious aka out of human control...
Oh....that'll be why
thx alot

Can you elaborate on why time differences would prevent the level 3 dream from being in zero g? Level 3 is Fischer's dream, and in level 2, he's weightless, so wouldn't the body feel that and transmit it to the level 3 dream?

Also, how does Arthur stay in the level 2 dream as the van is falling off the bridge in the level 1 dream? Shouldn't the feeling of falling wake him up?

The effects of the surrounding can only be felt by one level, much like how the kick works, that's pretty consistent IMHO.

Arguable the tossing and rolling sensation of the van is different from a falling sensation LoL. The exact moment of the kick (van plunging into the river) takes 5 seconds, but ttranslates to longer time on level 2 and 3.

Doesn't the van in level 1 effect level 3 by causing an avalanche? And Saito's injury carries from level 1 to level 3 as well.

I am a little confused as to why the van landing in the river was the kick, but the falling sensation wasn't the kick. I thought the feeling of falling would wake someone up.

steveportee wrote:Doesn't the van in level 1 effect level 3 by causing an avalanche? And Saito's injury carries from level 1 to level 3 as well.

I am a little confused as to why the van landing in the river was the kick, but the falling sensation wasn't the kick. I thought the feeling of falling would wake someone up.
My guess on the Arthur not getting kicked to level one is that sense he knew it was coming he was able to avoid being kicked out.

theweatherman wrote:
steveportee wrote:Doesn't the van in level 1 effect level 3 by causing an avalanche? And Saito's injury carries from level 1 to level 3 as well.

My guess on the Arthur not getting kicked to level one is that sense he knew it was coming he was able to avoid being kicked out.
So you think that for someone trained like Arthur, a kick can be either accepted or rejected? Meaning he can fight off a kick, and choose when he wants to wake up?

Interesting idea, but I'm still not sure if it's consistent with the rules set up by the film.

I may need Christopher Nolan himself to give me the answer to these questions lol

I believe the avalanche was caused by the first bomb set off by Arthur in the elevator.

Technically speaking, Saito's injury in level 3 is transferred from level 2, and his injury in level 2 from 1, hences the severity of his injury wasn't as bad initially on every deeper level.