"Missing" a kick? (spoiler)

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
freakybatman wrote:
Cilogy wrote:
The only problem is ... what happens if you are in Level 2 doing absolutely nothing (maybe drinking a cup of tea), but you get kicked from Level 1, do you actually wake up alive and well in reality?
hmmm. i would have never thought of that.
i dont think it would work.
if that was the case what would be the point of eames setting up charges on level 3 if they could all use the kick from level 1?
i think it needed to go in layers.
Actually I thought about it more.

It would have worked if Arthur's elevator kick and Eames' explosion kick were both just warnings, because while the kick is happening, the next layer starts collapsing.

That means the only people that really need to kick themselves were Ariadne and Fischer (by falling from the building).

This is because you cannot get kicked from limbo, you have to commit suicide.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Cilogy wrote:
holzy1139 wrote:It seems like they planned for the kick being when the van hit the edge. When it did, Eames and Cobb talked about how they missed the kick and Cobb was like ok we will make the next one..and Eames was like what next one? which implied that they didnt plan on the van hitting the water being a kick, it was just a backup that Cobb realized.
That's true, I remember that, there was a small avalanche or something and then Cobb said the van hitting the water is next. But why was it not enough?

So then I figured out this would be the timeline:

From the point that the van hits the water, to the airplane:
1. Ariadne falls from the building in Mal & Cobb's dream world.
2. Next, Eames and Fischer get kicked from fall during the explosion in the fort
3. Then Ariadne also gets kicked from the explosion
4. Then Eames and Fischer get kicked from the elevator
5. Ariadne gets kicked from the elevator
6. Arthur gets kicked from the elevator
7. Then Eames, Fischer, Arthur, and Ariadne wake up in the airplane at relatively the same time
8. Then, seconds later, Cobb wakes up
9. Finally Saito wakes up last because although he aged in limbo, it was only seconds in reality.

For all we know, while Eames and Fischer swim ashore, Arthur might have already been awake in the van, possibly waiting for Ariadne to awake.

The only problem is ... what happens if you are in Level 2 doing absolutely nothing (maybe drinking a cup of tea), but you get kicked from Level 1, do you actually wake up alive and well in reality?
I would like to know what happened from the van kick. Your assumption suggests as does mine that the kick happens from within your current state... 1. Ariadne gets kicked from limbo because she falls from a building... in limbo... she improvised and created her own kick.... then it all continues till after the elevator, but then shouldn't the van have kicked them all back to the plane...? Instead, they all waited in level 1 which was said to be impossible without being sent to/back to limbo because of the defenses... unless they went up to the bridge again and jumped to make a new kick... but then the chemist should have been kicked the first go around since he was obviously consciously falling in Level 1...I think it is a mistake/loop. Furthermore, by waiting it out with Fischer would probably ruin the whole go unnoticed aspect.... smooth move giving up your true identity at the end on the beach there mr. Tom Hardy's character
Last edited by bmneu on July 18th, 2010, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cilogy wrote:

yeah, but under sedation would that have worked?
if sato died in a dream, and went to Limbo, why didnt he immediatley kill himself?

Limbo had holes in it. Cobb and Mal killed them selves after YEARS being in there and woke up. why not immediatley kill themselves?

freakybatman wrote:
Cilogy wrote:

yeah, but under sedation would that have worked?
if sato died in a dream, and went to Limbo, why didnt he immediatley kill himself?

Limbo had holes in it. Cobb and Mal killed them selves after YEARS being in there and woke up. why not immediatley kill themselves?
You can leave limbo with a kick. Inside the Tower in level 3, Ariadne told Cobb that once they were down there (in limbo) they would have to find a way to give themselves their own kick... their warning that the tower was falling (their kick from level 3 to level 2) was resuscitating Fischer... resuscitating Fischer was not the kick itself but the "music" if you will. Saoto didn't know he was in limbo because he didn't consciously go there.

did Mal and Cobb go there on purpose?

freakybatman wrote:did Mal and Cobb go there on purpose?
Know he said they kept exploring deeper and deeper and then ended up "on the shores of their own subconscious" and then lost track of reality.

bmneu wrote:I would like to know what happened from the van kick. Your assumption suggests as does mine that the kick happens from within your current state... 1. Ariadne gets kicked from limbo because she falls from a building... in limbo... she improvised and created her own kick.... then it all continues till after the elevator, but then shouldn't the van have kicked them all back to the plane...? Instead, they all waited in level 1 which was said to be impossible without being sent to/back to limbo because of the defenses... unless they went up to the bridge again and jumped to make a new kick... but then the chemist should have been kicked the first go around since he was obviously consciously falling in Level 1...I think it is a mistake/loop.
I was wrong, because now my assumption is that the van was the only kick, the elevator and the fort explosion were just warnings for other team members to hurry up.

Remember, you always need a kick from a higher level to get wake up from the current layer. So if you were to jump off the bridge in Level 1, you will die and get locked into limbo because the sedative is so powerful. In Level 1 after everyone gets ashore they have to wait for the sedative to wear off.

However, in limbo, you must always kick yourself to get out.
Furthermore, by waiting it out with Fischer would probably ruin the whole go unnoticed aspect.... smooth move giving up your true identity at the end on the beach there mr. Tom Hardy's character
It wouldn't have mattered, because that was a dream. After Fischer wakes on the plane he would have thought it was all a dream and probably not cared.

freakybatman wrote:yeah, but under sedation would that have worked?

When someone dies and goes into limbo they think it is reality, unless they are reminded it is not. So all those years, Saito thinks it is real until he sees Cobb and his top, Cobb also thinks it is real until he sees Saito and they remind themselves what happened and what they need to do.

Cobb and Mal actually wanted to be there, So when Cobb and Mal spent years in limbo, Cobb has his top to remind him it is not real, however Mal gets lost in it.
Last edited by Cilogy on July 18th, 2010, 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

how is the top real?

i was thinking about this
Cobb found it in limbo, in a safe.
how did he get it irl ( in real life)

Eames blowing up the fort is a bit of a plothole but possibly explainable. It was definitely not to warn Cobb and Adriane in Limbo nor was it a kick for them in Limbo. Cobb tells Eames to get the explosives before Adriane even mentions Limbo so the original plan was indeed to blow the place up. Eames also says he's going to set off the explosives irregardless if they're back or not which means it wasn't intended as a kick.

Now my speculation is that the explosion was intended to kill everybody and they would ride that along with Arthur's kick and Yusuf's kick to Level 1. Note how Arthur makes a big deal about how the thing has to be synchronized or that they would be stuck there(when he opens the safe that has the explosives in the hotel). Too early and they're stuck there and too late and there is no gravity. So it seems Eames exploding the fort was to cause a ripple effect that everybody would ride up.