"Missing" a kick? (spoiler)

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
In the beginning the "kick" of Cobb falling into the bathtub woke him up, he didnt need to do anything in the dream. So how come they can "miss" kicks later? Shouldn't the hospital exploding "kick" Cobb from level 4 to the hospital (level 3)? Why does Ariadne have to jump off the building to "ride" the kick. In the beginning the kick took Cobb back, he didnt need to jump or do anything. Can someone explain the concept of "missing" a kick.

Cobb was only on one dream level, and not under heavy sedation (at the beggining)

towards the end Cobb was about 4 levels in and was under heavy sedation, the kick becomes more and more important as you get farther into the pysch

Yeah i get that, but a kick in level 3 brings people out of level 4. You dont kick yourself out of a level. So why didnt the level 3 kick that Eames initiated bring Cobb out of 4? Why would he have to jump with Ariadne to make the kick?

holzy1139 wrote:Yeah i get that, but a kick in level 3 brings people out of level 4. You dont kick yourself out of a level. So why didnt the level 3 kick that Eames initiated bring Cobb out of 4? Why would he have to jump with Ariadne to make the kick?
level 4 is actually the limbo, you can't be kicked out of it

Limbo is level 4.
Limbo is deeper than a dream.

Dan_87 wrote:
holzy1139 wrote:Yeah i get that, but a kick in level 3 brings people out of level 4. You dont kick yourself out of a level. So why didnt the level 3 kick that Eames initiated bring Cobb out of 4? Why would he have to jump with Ariadne to make the kick?
They explain that one has to kick themselves out of the limbo state. It's why Ariadne pushes Fischer off the ledge and then jumps off herself.

Dan_87 wrote:

So what was Eames doing by blowing the fort up?

Eames' explosion in Level three may have been the warning to Ariadne and Cobb to get out or they would miss the kicks to get them all the way out. Ariadne falling in level three wasn't what brought her back to level two, she was just later because she wasn't awake at that level to get kicked out.

theweatherman wrote:Eames' explosion in Level three may have been the warning to Ariadne and Cobb to get out or they would miss the kicks to get them all the way out. Ariadne falling in level three wasn't what brought her back to level two, she was just later because she wasn't awake at that level to get kicked out.
ya, and the second purpose was to distract the gunmen to chase him so that Cobb, Ariadne,Fischer is safe....

neo78956 wrote: They explain that one has to kick themselves out of the limbo state. It's why Ariadne pushes Fischer off the ledge and then jumps off herself.
i think the intention of jumping is to suicide....you can't kick yourself out from a particular level, it has to be someone/something that perform the kick to you 1 level up