Inception Math

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
caramie wrote:
Darth Yoda 03 wrote:I figure when Mal and Cobb are in limbo, it is about 2 hours, 44 minutes real time.

From 5 minutes equals 1 hour of dreaming, we get that dreaming is a factor of 20 longer. And from 10 hours being 7 days on the first level, 6 months on the second level, and 10 years on the 3rd level, we are told that the same factor of of 20 is applied at each level. 6 months is roughly 20*7 days (actually 26 weeks) and we get that 10 years is 20 times 6 months. The actual time with the factor of 20 on each level is:

Real time of 10 hours is:
Level 1: 8.3 days (1 week is actually 7 days, duh.)
Level 2: 166 days (6 months is actually about 182 days)
Level 3: 3333 days, 9.25 years, 9 years, 4 months (I know, not quite 10 years)
Level 4: 185 years
We are never told the calculation to limbo, but I figure it must be counted as level 4 based on Saito's aging vs time on the plane, and same for Mal and Cobb.
So 50 years as a level 4 would be 2.73 hours, which would be 2 hours, 44 minutes. Also I know 8.3 days is not 7 days, and 165 days is 5.5 months, and 9 years 4 months is not 10 years, but I know it would be dumb in the movie if instead of quickly pointing out that it will be 7 days on level 1, 6 months, level 2 and and 10 years level 3, instead said we will be at level 1 for 8 days and hours, and 166 days at level 2, and 9 years and 4 months at level 3, it would sound dumb.

5 minutes in real time = 1 hour of dreaming = 60 minutes = factor of 12!
So EVERYTHING is wrong! hahaha math FAIL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10 hours in real time = 5 days in level 1 and so on....
Except they said that when under such heavy sedation the time in each level increases and is about 20 times.

theweatherman wrote:
Except they said that when under such heavy sedation the time in each level increases and is about 20 times.
it was mentioned far earlier in the movie:

when Cobb gave Ariadne the "how did you get here" speech and blew the city to pieces, they woke up and Ariadne found out that she was only asleep for about 5 minutes, when she thought that she had been talking to Cobb for over 1 hr....

then Arthur explained that in dream our brain works faster and its roughly 20 times faster

How we get the proportion of 20 times?

According to my Math:
if 5 mins = 1 hour
=> 5 mins = 60 mins in L1

Getting the unit number:
1 MInute in Reality = 60/12 = 12 minutes in L1

therefore:
1 hour in Reality = 60 * 12 (where 60 is 1 hour in reality)
= 720 minutes in L1
= 12 hours in L1

for L2:

= 720 * 12 ( its recursion process: where 720 is 12 hours in L1 inception)
= 937440 minutes
= 21 days

does it make sense?

Rob
1 +1 = 11

:batface:

The deeper you go in a dream, the time gets compacted 20x.

Meaning 1 second in Level 1=20 seconds in level 2.

20 seconds in level 2=400 seconds in level 3 (or 6 minuts and 40 seconds)

And so forth.

This does introduce a plot hole when Cobb says "The van has something like a few seconds to hit the water, which means Arthur has a couple of minutes which gives us 20 minutes."

If the math was done correctly and a couple of minutes was taken literally. Then Cobb would have 40 minutes. But who really cares.

Another thing I don't get it: Why the moment they fell asleep they start dreaming?
I know that for you start dreaming you must go through some "levels" of sleep, than the dream start. It's not just close your eyes and sleep and BANG, you are dreaming.

(well, I also know that they don't need to explain that in the movie....)

It was specifically mentioned that Yusuf's sedative sped up brain activity, meaning the time dilation was 20x more powerful than a standard dose to start with, and compounded with each level. Cobb and Mal used a regular dose, which means that your math is wrong.

Don't ask me to work it out, though. Mine would probably be wrong as well.

Darth Yoda 03 wrote:The van falling into the water would last about a second, but Arthur took at least 30 minutes to round up the team and kick-them out while in zero G (not 20 seconds)
The fall takes place in the dream so the physics change.

g = 37 ft/s^2 in real life would be about (37 ft)/(20 s)^2 = 0.0925 ft/s^2 in the first layer (yup, now you know why the fall is so slow) so let's say the bridge is 100 ft tall then:

h = .5gt^2 or t = (2h/g)^0.5 in free fall
t = 2162 seconds = 36 minutes (in the first layer) <----- this is about how long the fall seems to take to the viewer by the way (Nolan sure knows what he's doing).

Now add the time it takes for the water to go inside and for the team to start swallowing water. Maybe 10 seconds in real life if the windows are closed? (10*20*20 = 4,000 = 1.1 hour (time for the second layer).

Even without counting that extra time, in the second layer that would be about 2162*20 = 43,240 seconds. About 12 hours. Plenty of time to kick some ass, pack it up, place the charges and wait in the elevator shaft.

Rob
Ivan wrote:Another thing I don't get it: Why the moment they fell asleep they start dreaming?
I know that for you start dreaming you must go through some "levels" of sleep, than the dream start. It's not just close your eyes and sleep and BANG, you are dreaming.

(well, I also know that they don't need to explain that in the movie....)
Well, you're probably referring to the REM (rapid eye movement) phase, in which you have the "deepest" dreams I guess, but you don't necessarily have to be in that state to dream. Never just directly entered the dream when being extremely sleepy? In "lucid dreaming" (highly recommended!) there's a technique called WILD (Waking Induced Lucid Dreaming) which allows you, when correctly done, to enter the dream conscious right from reality. You try to let your body fall asleep and stay conscious while your mind enters the dream. And no, I'm not talking about a movie. That's really possible. :mrgreen:

Apart from that, in Inception it's not normal or lucid dreaming anyway. It's shared dreaming, a thing which isn't possible in reality and is achieved by using the Pasiv device. So it's a completely different thing, that's why there are all these "rules" in Inception. I mean when you realize that you're dreaming in real life the dream world isn't really falling apart, is it? All these dream rules can be explained by the magic of the Pasiv device that we - and that's the clever thing - know nothing about.

mauro1970mvr wrote:
Darth Yoda 03 wrote:The van falling into the water would last about a second, but Arthur took at least 30 minutes to round up the team and kick-them out while in zero G (not 20 seconds)
The fall takes place in the dream so the physics change.

g = 37 ft/s^2 in real life would be about (37 ft)/(20 s)^2 = 0.0925 ft/s^2 in the first layer (yup, now you know why the fall is so slow) so let's say the bridge is 100 ft tall then:

h = .5gt^2 or t = (2h/g)^0.5 in free fall
t = 2162 seconds = 36 minutes (in the first layer) <----- this is about how long the fall seems to take to the viewer by the way (Nolan sure knows what he's doing).

Now add the time it takes for the water to go inside and for the team to start swallowing water. Maybe 10 seconds in real life if the windows are closed? (10*20*20 = 4,000 = 1.1 hour (time for the second layer).

Even without counting that extra time, in the second layer that would be about 2162*20 = 43,240 seconds. About 12 hours. Plenty of time to kick some ass, pack it up, place the charges and wait in the elevator shaft.
Exactly. Great explanation. I think ppl forgot about the fact that the fall takes place in a dream, thus the psychics change like you said.