Inception Math

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
I figure when Mal and Cobb are in limbo, it is about 2 hours, 44 minutes real time.

From 5 minutes equals 1 hour of dreaming, we get that dreaming is a factor of 20 longer. And from 10 hours being 7 days on the first level, 6 months on the second level, and 10 years on the 3rd level, we are told that the same factor of of 20 is applied at each level. 6 months is roughly 20*7 days (actually 26 weeks) and we get that 10 years is 20 times 6 months. The actual time with the factor of 20 on each level is:

Real time of 10 hours is:
Level 1: 8.3 days (1 week is actually 7 days, duh.)
Level 2: 166 days (6 months is actually about 182 days)
Level 3: 3333 days, 9.25 years, 9 years, 4 months (I know, not quite 10 years)
Level 4: 185 years
We are never told the calculation to limbo, but I figure it must be counted as level 4 based on Saito's aging vs time on the plane, and same for Mal and Cobb.
So 50 years as a level 4 would be 2.73 hours, which would be 2 hours, 44 minutes. Also I know 8.3 days is not 7 days, and 165 days is 5.5 months, and 9 years 4 months is not 10 years, but I know it would be dumb in the movie if instead of quickly pointing out that it will be 7 days on level 1, 6 months, level 2 and and 10 years level 3, instead said we will be at level 1 for 8 days and hours, and 166 days at level 2, and 9 years and 4 months at level 3, it would sound dumb.

Darth Yoda 03 wrote:I figure when Mal and Cobb are in limbo, it is about 2 hours, 44 minutes real time.

From 5 minutes equals 1 hour of dreaming, we get that dreaming is a factor of 20 longer. And from 10 hours being 7 days on the first level, 6 months on the second level, and 10 years on the 3rd level, we are told that the same factor of of 20 is applied at each level. 6 months is roughly 20*7 days (actually 26 weeks) and we get that 10 years is 20 times 6 months. The actual time with the factor of 20 on each level is:

We are never told the calculation to limbo, but I figure it must be counted as level 4 based on Saito's aging vs time on the plane, and same for Mal and Cobb.
So 50 years as a level 4 would be 2.73 hours, which would be 2 hours, 44 minutes. Also I know 8.3 days is not 7 days, and 165 days is 5.5 months, and 9 years 4 months is not 10 years, but I know it would be dumb in the movie if instead of quickly pointing out that it will be 7 days on level 1, 6 months, level 2 and and 10 years level 3, instead said we will be at level 1 for 8 days and hours, and 166 days at level 2, and 9 years and 4 months at level 3, it would sound dumb.
Like I said elsewhere, this introduces a possible plot hole, or inconsistency: The van falling into the water would last about a second, but Arthur took at least 30 minutes to round up the team and kick-them out while in zero G (not 20 seconds)

JonnyT23 wrote: Like I said elsewhere, this introduces a possible plot hole, or inconsistency: The van falling into the water would last about a second, but Arthur took at least 30 minutes to round up the team and kick-them out while in zero G (not 20 seconds)
Yeah maybe. We don't know how long it took Arthur of course, but yeah it was at least several minutes. I think the shortest amount of time I would put it at doing all that, is 5 minutes, which would be 15 seconds, and it's not just the fall, but also when it slams into the barrier, right after when it is teetering on the edge and falling.

Darth Yoda 03 wrote:
JonnyT23 wrote: Like I said elsewhere, this introduces a possible plot hole, or inconsistency: The van falling into the water would last about a second, but Arthur took at least 30 minutes to round up the team and kick-them out while in zero G (not 20 seconds)
Yeah maybe. We don't know how long it took Arthur of course, but yeah it was at least several minutes. I think the shortest amount of time I would put it at doing all that, is 5 minutes, which would be 15 seconds, and it's not just the fall, but also when it slams into the barrier, right after when it is teetering on the edge and falling.
When the music started playing, that meant 10 seconds (supposedly) from the kick. However, it was longer than that, because he was being shot at.

Then there was the first kick, followed by going into the water and Arthur into no-gravity. I think the van could have been falling for at least 3 seconds.

But yeah, Arthur's trick took much longer than the 2 minutes it supposedly did. But hey, it's a movie.

JonnyT23 wrote:
Darth Yoda 03 wrote:I figure when Mal and Cobb are in limbo, it is about 2 hours, 44 minutes real time.

Like I said elsewhere, this introduces a possible plot hole, or inconsistency: The van falling into the water would last about a second, but Arthur took at least 30 minutes to round up the team and kick-them out while in zero G (not 20 seconds)
he didnt take 30 minutes...maybe 4 or 5...you forget that the footage of him was mixed in between the footage of the next level....so the footage on the mountain was about 30 minutes of dream time in THAT level...divide that by 20..thats how long Arthur took in his level

JonnyT23 wrote:Like I said elsewhere, this introduces a possible plot hole, or inconsistency: The van falling into the water would last about a second, but Arthur took at least 30 minutes to round up the team and kick-them out while in zero G (not 20 seconds)
Did you see how tall that bridge was from the water? It wouldn't take one second to drop. I know I've dropped about 40 feet when snow skiing, and it felt like I was in the air for almost 3 seconds.

I don't think it's an exact science (it's a dream afterall) but their numbers are estimates based on their best and most consistent knowledge.

JRM
Eternalist wrote:I don't think it's an exact science (it's a dream afterall) but their numbers are estimates based on their best and most consistent knowledge.
This is how I look at it. Analyzing 'dream time' using math is not something I do often. :lol:

My question is: how long was Saito in limbo before Cobb arrived? Because Saito had aged considerably and Cobb was still young. Of course Saito had obviously reached limbo first because he died long before Cobb lost himself.

5 minutes in real time = 1 hour of dreaming = 60 minutes = factor of 12!
So EVERYTHING is wrong! hahaha math FAIL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10 hours in real time = 5 days in level 1 and so on....