For Those Who Have Questions

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
MrFang wrote:
Dan_87 wrote:hmm...make sense, but then why Fischer got thrown into limbo in level 3 if he wasn't sedated in level 2?
I think they were sedated at all levels. I think the suitcase in the plane contained the sedatives, and that the suitcases in each subsequent dream level were identically outfitted. Because of this, everyone who was connected to a suitcase in a dream level was also sedated in that dream level, with the exception of Fischer. Fischer was dead, so he couldn't be sedated while he was hooked up to the suitcase.
yea...hooking Fischer up is just to "link" him with them....dead body cannot be sedated (why i didn't thought of that in the first place? :oops: )

I have a pretty weird take on this film. I was under the impression that Cobb was unknowingly in limbo and his wife's death was irrelevant. Whether she too was in limbo with him due to their progression through levels or she in fact made it one step further than him and back to reality is up for debate. I agree with the mapping of events listed previously and the application of rules presented in the movie. However, I found it strange that M. Caine was labeled by Cobb as the best extractor to have lived. Ariadne is then introduced to Cobb by Caine (either knowingly or unknowingly) and is nothing short of a prodigy suggesting to me that M. Caine (who remained in the same clothes the entire movie) was in charge of the entire process and hoped to salvage any sanity remaining in the warped limbo ridden mind that was Cobb's. it would make sense with the supposed agents chasing him in the start (all his projections, including his wife are hostile), the prodding by Ariadne to reveal the obvious questions in Cobbs behavior that others ignore, the fact that the spinning top cannot be trusted in any way since it isn't his (he claims he took it from her safe of secrets when it is clear they are at some level of dreaming), and before I continue to rant on and on about the childrens ages and wardrobe.....the strange behavior of the people in the airport at the end (they are staring at him) and the infamous last scene indicating that he has never made it out. The entire plot could also have been a result of Cobb's limbo as he was so guilty and living what he "thought" was a reality consisting of paranoia and running (living through an extreme subc of guilt and fear) and he set the stage for inception for both Siato and Fischer to convince himself that he had broke free and thus he would live a guilt free life whether it was real or not. He essentially incepted (dont know how else to say this) himself in order to rid his mind of what plagued it. Either of these two theories seems plausible to me as his knowledge of the dream planes, and presumable M. Caines as well, was so intricate that they could be achieved.

I will have to see this again but with no conclusive answers this is the best I can do. My question, to which the answer may destroy said theories, is why in the start was siato and old man in the initial dream as he is when lost in limbo at the end. He also goes on to quote leos phrases about the train and living a life of regret....is he the mastermind of it all?....I will watch this many times. Huge Nolan fan.

Regarding the totem. I think anyone can use the totem but only the true user of a particular totem would know it's uniqueness. When Arthur was explaining about the totem to Ariadne, it would be kinda useless to Ariadne because she doesn't know the exact weight and feel of the totem like Arthur does. Cobb using Mal's totem would not effect anything as the rules of his totem is pretty simple. If it falls, he's in reality but if it keeps spinning, he's still dreaming. So I think Cobb using Mal's totem is not much of an issue.

mnasyriq wrote:Regarding the totem. I think anyone can use the totem but only the true user of a particular totem would know it's uniqueness. When Arthur was explaining about the totem to Ariadne, it would be kinda useless to Ariadne because she doesn't know the exact weight and feel of the totem like Arthur does. Cobb using Mal's totem would not effect anything as the rules of his totem is pretty simple. If it falls, he's in reality but if it keeps spinning, he's still dreaming. So I think Cobb using Mal's totem is not much of an issue.
I wasn't sure if you were referring to my post or not, but wouldn't his finding of the totem in limbo as he did totally defeat the whole purpose of it as he would be convinced he was in reality and thus all would hold true regardless.

I wasn't sure if you were referring to my post or not, but wouldn't his finding of the totem in limbo as he did totally defeat the whole purpose of it as he would be convinced he was in reality and thus all would hold true regardless.
I talk a lot about the totem in a thread I posted a bit ago. If you're interested in talking about it, see the link

http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... =34&t=2227

I also have a weird take but I think it works on most levels (no pun intended). I think the movie is about Mal trying to save Cobb out of limbo. She created this whole dream. Here is the kicker. Mal is Ariadne. Cobb and Mal were both in limbo and she was trying to get him out. And she failed. Hence the ending.

How did Mal and Cobb get into Limbo? Easy, that was the train. They were heavily sedated together and they both died putting them into limbo.

How did Mal get out? She committed suicide. She knew it was a dream. That was HER SECRET. Her totem told her that the house and kids was in his dream.

Why is Mal actually Ariadne? Cobb didn't trust Mal anymore. Ariadne was introduced to gain Cobb's trust. They were introduced based on the events in the intro with the proposed deal. He went introduced through his father in law OR Mal's father. Mal's father said she was better than him. Even in their first dream, he was impressed with how well she dealt with the dream. Also, let's not over look Ariadne totem. It was a pawn. Just a piece for Mal's game.

I think to escape limbo, you have to kill yourself. Mal jumped off the ledge thus getting out of limbo. That is why she tried to convince Cobb to jump too. He didn't trust her. Now, draw this similarity with Ariadne. At the end, she ask Cobb to come with her and jump of the building again. He didn't... Mal failed.

And I think the elevator has something to do with the level of dream he is at.

ErickJD08 wrote:I also have a weird take but I think it works on most levels (no pun intended). I think the movie is about Mal trying to save Cobb out of limbo. She created this whole dream. Here is the kicker. Mal is Ariadne. Cobb and Mal were both in limbo and she was trying to get him out. And she failed. Hence the ending.

How did Mal and Cobb get into Limbo? Easy, that was the train. They were heavily sedated together and they both died putting them into limbo.

How did Mal get out? She committed suicide. She knew it was a dream. That was HER SECRET. Her totem told her that the house and kids was in his dream.

Why is Mal actually Ariadne? Cobb didn't trust Mal anymore. Ariadne was introduced to gain Cobb's trust. They were introduced based on the events in the intro with the proposed deal. He went introduced through his father in law OR Mal's father. Mal's father said she was better than him. Even in their first dream, he was impressed with how well she dealt with the dream. Also, let's not over look Ariadne totem. It was a pawn. Just a piece for Mal's game.

I think to escape limbo, you have to kill yourself. Mal jumped off the ledge thus getting out of limbo. That is why she tried to convince Cobb to jump too. He didn't trust her. Now, draw this similarity with Ariadne. At the end, she ask Cobb to come with her and jump of the building again. He didn't... Mal failed.

I think you're pretty dead on. So Mal hoped to achieve inception through that initial dream and that is why Siato appeared old for a brief moment in the opening dream and on the helicopter after that quoted cobb word for word when he was lying on the tracks with Mal? Was the ending sort of a secondary option in case he again failed to realize he was in limbo or was he in fact still in limbo and that was the best scenario his mind could create?

drbarke wrote:
ErickJD08 wrote:I also have a weird take but I think it works on most levels (no pun intended). I think the movie is about Mal trying to save Cobb out of limbo. She created this whole dream. Here is the kicker. Mal is Ariadne. Cobb and Mal were both in limbo and she was trying to get him out. And she failed. Hence the ending.

I think you're pretty dead on because I also found it strange that he was presented with two opportunities to kill himself (when ari ask him to jump and then the final scene of the dream sequence where he finds siato and they appear to agree on suicide as they slowly realize they are in limbo). The movie is truly one loop or maze which indicates that he is certainly stuck and the premise of the reality portions of the movie were too dreamlike (buying out a major airline was no big deal nor were the risks associated with undertaking that sort of risk of putting all those people on a plane and hoping it went absolutely perfect...now that i think about it the entire "reality' was just as absurd as their undertakings in dream world". So Mal hoped to achieve inception through that initial dream and that is why Siato appeared old for a brief moment in the opening dream and on the helicopter after that quoted cobb word for word when he was lying on the tracks with Mal? Was the ending sort of a secondary option in case he again failed to realize he was in limbo or was he in fact still in limbo and that was the best scenario his mind could create?

First of all, this is the best thread created so far.

I think a lot of people have really great theories--- and of course there is no way to actually prove what is "right" or "wrong." It's all about the choices we make in understanding it.

I just have a main question... I think for Fang. I think it is pretty hard to deny that the entire movie takes place in Cobb's dream state. Even in the one instance where we see (at least I think we see) the top fall (in the hotel room), it doesn't make sense. How are Cobb's children going to know what random hotel room he is? How are they going to be able to call him directly?

Mal realized what Cobb didn't. Even after killing themselves in limbo, they still weren't in "reality" yet. She's trying to get him to kill himself so they can get back to reality.

Just a quick thought on the end: For some reason people are harping on whether or not the top is going to fall, or slightly moved-- it doesn't matter. Look at both children's outfits and at Michal Caine's outfit -- its the same as they were at earlier/different dream states.

The concept of Ariadne actually being Mal as she attempts to perform inception on Cobb is just fantastic.

I'm sorry if some of this is repetitive, just wanted to hope in the discussion though.

MrFang wrote:
dewtu335 wrote:Hi Mr.Fang, I've been reading a lot of explanations and so far yours sounded the most coherent and made the most sense! I started off with tons of questions but now I just have a few. So just to clarify:

1. The jump that Ariadne made in level 4 was sort of unnecessary right? because she was supposed to be brought back by the explosion anyway.

2. If so, then how come Cobb did not wake up with her due to the explosion/collapse? I know he wanted to stay behind and find Saito. If Cobb didn't wake up in L3, it means that he had to kill himself somehow before the collapse woke him up to go to limbo where Saito's waiting for him, right?
1. The jump that Ariadne made WAS unnecessary, though I didn't see it as a jump. She felt the kick from the level above (you can tell because suddenly the weather became crazy and buildings started falling apart), and just gave in to the force of the kick. When you watch it a second time, notice that she never hits the ground in level 4; instead, the background sort of flashes and she wakes up in level 3.

2. Cobb didn't wake up because his encounter with Mal left him unsure of which reality he wanted to remain in. This questioning threw him into a limbo-ish sort of state, such that he was able to resist the kick. Kicks can definitely be resisted, remember, because the entire team resisted the kick when the van went off the bridge. They noticed that the kick was happening, and decided to ignore it, essentially, because they needed to finish the mission. Likewise, Dom resisted the kick and chose to remain behind with Mal in limbo.
JonnyT23 wrote:Good evening ladies and gentle man, (we are tonight's entertainment). I only have one question... Why didn't Fischer getting shot in dream world #3 (the snow fortress) kick him back into dream world #2 (the hotel), if in fact getting killed kicks you out of a dream within a dream (under weaker sedatives, just like Ariadne could to escape dream world #4)?
See above. Ariadne didn't kill herself. Only Fischer died in level 4, and he did that to escape limbo. As I explained at the beginning of this thread, one can escape limbo by killing oneself; however, it's very difficult and dangerous to do because the very nature of limbo is that the dreamer believes it to be reality.

Also of note: the sedatives were the same in all levels; thus, if you are not already in limbo, getting killed will throw you into limbo, no matter what level you're on.

Think of it like this: There are two dream-states, lucid and limbo. Within lucid dreams, the subconscious (and, most times, the conscious) are aware that the person is in a dream; however, within limbo, neither the subconscious or the conscious is aware that it is in a dream. Normally, getting killed in a dream will eliminate that level's dream-self. The subconscious has nowhere to go but up, thus kicking the subject out of that level. However, under heavy sedation, the next level's self has difficulty waking up, forcing the subconscious to go in the opposite direction: one level deeper. Because the level above has been eliminated, the self on this new, deeper level has no memories at all of where it came from or why it's there, thus throwing it into a state of limbo in which it is unable to differentiate between dreams and reality. The only way to escape is to die, thus kicking the subconscious one level higher once again.

This raises the question, "Why does killing yourself work in limbo?" Well, the self in the level above cannot be under heavy sedation. Fischer was not, when he died; his body was dead, and being resuscitated. Thus, when Ariadne tossed him off the roof, he was kicked to the level above into a freshly living body that was--importantly--not sedated. The same is true of Saito and Dom at the end. Saito's age reveals that he has been in limbo for just about long enough for the sedative to wear off, thus allowing himself to awaken unimpeded. Likewise, Dom and Mal were not sedated when they accidentally slipped into limbo. This allowed them to escape by lying down in front of the train.

Which leaves one question: How did Dom escape from level 4 if he resisted the kick and was sedated in the level above?

I have no idea. But quite frankly, the man's a badass. He found a way.
It seems everybody is misunderstanding the kicks. The kick goes into effect not when you're falling but when you hit the ground. The van kick went into effect when they hit the water and Dom's kick goes into effect when he hit the water in the beginning.