Interpretation Of The Ending

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
It's not a huge deal but it is a minor plot hole, or understated jump in time. Between them getting out of the van and waking up. Maybe they all went out for drinks?

One thing that bothered me, although I'm sure there's a rule I missed to explain this somewhere, is why the events from the first level did not ripple down to the third. So when the the van is falling in L1 making everyone weightless in L2 why is there no effect in L3 except for the bomb-kicks which were just from L2?

I think,if it is to believe that end was just cobb dream, then whole old saito and cobb meeting was also a dream.....it make sense to me.. starting scene of cobb unconscious on beach and then guards finding him, then meeting with old saito , then cobb return to america and return to family ...all are part of cobb dream

but theory that cobb meets old saito is reality in dream but later scene (like return to america) are just dream is wrong theory!!

mnasyriq wrote:But you need to realise that a kick is the feeling of falling that snaps you out of a dream. Therefore an explosion does not mimic a sense of falling. Ariadne and Fischer jumping of the ledge was necessary as it is considered a kick to wake up in the 3rd layer of dreams.

Eames planting the c4's all over the buildings in the 3rd dream layer was an indicator that Ariadne and Fischer were about to receive the kick from Arthur in the 2nd dream. So they had to be awake in the 3rd dream to experience the kick from Arthur. So by jumping of the ledge, they got to wake up in the 3rd dream just before Arthur's kick. And the van falls in river resulting in the team to wake up from the elevator dream into the 1st dream. Only Saito and Cobb did not wake up because they did not receive any kicks in their particular stages of dreams. So both are in Limbo at the stage. I think.
You can't kick yourself out. You need the external stimuli, that's the whole point of Level 1 and otherwise Saito could just jump somewhere and kick himself out.

Cobb might be resistant to kicks but one would think a building collapsing would be sufficient. The explosion itself wouldn't the kick but rather the building itself, on the side of a mountain, collapsing would be. The whole explosion still doesn't make sense as Fischer got out without a kick from Eames.

Here's another plot hole, the force from the van falling in Level 1 should have kicked everybody out of Level 3.

Jarmel wrote:
You can't kick yourself out. You need the external stimuli, that's the whole point of Level 1 and otherwise Saito could just jump somewhere and kick himself out.

Cobb might be resistant to kicks but one would think a building collapsing would be sufficient. The explosion itself wouldn't the kick but rather the building itself, on the side of a mountain, collapsing would be. The whole explosion still doesn't make sense as Fischer got out without a kick from Eames.

Here's another plot hole, the force from the van falling in Level 1 should have kicked everybody out of Level 3.
i don't think effects will traverse more than 1 layer of dream

eg: the weightlessness of Arthur as a result of the tumbling van makes his hotel into zero g, but those who were on the mountains do not feel the effects, so as the kick, it will only affect the level directly beneath it,

so that's why they need to synchronize all the kicks so that they won't end up dying in the upper level and been throw into limbo

Do you guys remember this:

"Will I lie to myself to be happy? In your case Teddy... yes I will."

"Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled."

"Sometimes the truth isn't good enough, sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded"
ty le ca cuoc|
vách ngăn phòng thờ|
vách ngăn giữa phòng khách và cầu thang|

After the end of Inception we believe in what we want.
I believe Cobb just want redemption for his guilt. I believe the whole operation is just a dream and Cobb search a way to forget his wife, to believe in this dream and to make it reality - place where he live happy with his kids.
Last edited by ANONIMNIQ on December 4th, 2018, 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan_87 wrote:
Jarmel wrote:

eg: the weightlessness of Arthur as a result of the tumbling van makes his hotel into zero g, but those who were on the mountains do not feel the effects, so as the kick, it will only affect the level directly beneath it,

so that's why they need to synchronize all the kicks so that they won't end up dying in the upper level and been throw into
limbo
I'm not talking about the zero-g effect but rather their bodies in L2 being thrown around like rag dolls, like the scene where Arthur is yanked. It should have served as a kick.

Jarmel wrote:
Dan_87 wrote:
Jarmel wrote:

so that's why they need to synchronize all the kicks so that they won't end up dying in the upper level and been throw into
limbo
I'm not talking about the zero-g effect but rather their bodies in L2 being thrown around like rag dolls, like the scene where Arthur is yanked. It should have served as a kick.
their body was not thrown, they simply floated

ANONIMNIQ wrote:Do you guys remember this:

"Will I lie to myself to be happy? In your case Teddy... yes I will."

"Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled."

"Sometimes the truth isn't good enough, sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded"

After the end of Inception we believe in what we want.
I believe Cobb just want redemption for his guilt. I believe the whole operation is just a dream and Cobb search a way to forget his wife, to believe in this dream and to make it reality - place where he live happy with his kids.
Wow that's awesome and interesting how you pieced all of those.

I just wish I could corner Nolan myself and say "GIVE ME AN ANSWER!" ...but he would still probably just give me an answer that would be ambiguous, as that was his intention to begin with. Which in all actuality is OK, because it is fun to debate, and to hear those that are 100% THEY KNOW for sure.

I do have my opinion I lean towards (that it was reality in the end), but I can't say I know 100% for sure, because I didn't write the story, not to mention that maybe even in Chris' mind, he doesn't have one finite answer to, he writes as if it's ambiguous to him. Then again, occasionally he has came out and answered things about film, maybe he'll give more insight or a flat out answer, who knows.

Dan_87 wrote:
their body was not thrown, they simply floated
Oops sorry I didn't make this clear. I meant when the van rolled over not when the van fell off the bridge.