Brad Pitt & Will Smith were early candidates for Inception

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Hi everyone, I'm new here although I have been following this website for quite some time.
I would like to share a thought related to the current discussion: by watching Christopher Nolan's interviews and
material in general I have the feeling that he, being very reserved and humble, only goes for actors/actresses who
have proven a similar personality throughout their career. Sort of the hidden diamonds.. the ones who have an enormous talent
but avoid any chance to look glamorous or fishing for attention.
In other words, he has very strong ethic and morality and wouldn't want any prima donna who:

- has been at the center of media attention for family issues;

- is always at Hollywood parties to be photographed by paparazzi;

- would bring more attention on himself than the story.

Now, I like Will Smith a lot, and I think many confuse his box office results with being a superficial actor.
It would be nice seeing how Mr Nolan would inspire him and guide him to express the best out of himself,
but Brad Pitt doesn't really fit the profile.
Don't get me wrong, he has given some very good interpretations, but I also have the feeling that
he is not a humble person in reality. I don't know how else to say this, but I kinda have a radar that
beeps and says "no, Nolan would never work with that guy" whenever I see lists of potential actors the readers of this website would like to see in his future movies... while I wasn't surprised at all when I found out Ellen Page would be on Inception!

GunRanger wrote:
micool wrote:
NHassell14 wrote:I also feel that Pitt's character in Inglourious Basterds (Lt. Aldo Raine) was in a supporting role compared to Christopher Waltzs' Hans Landa.
Brad Pitt is listed as the lead, but it was an ensemble cast, him and Waltz were the lead characters, but he's the main one.
Melanie Laurent was really the lead if there was one.
yep, she really should get top billing, then be followed by pitt and waltz... although thats not how you sell movies :cry:

kanjisheik wrote:Will Smith is overrated. He's not an actor, he's a superstar - there's a difference. Brad Pitt would have been an amazing choice - check out his character roles in the past - great filmography. Hope Nolan works with him sometime soon. But anyway, looks like Leo has done an incredible job here, so this discussion is moot. :-)

he's not overrated....he actually gives very truthful performances in the same vain as dicaprio....they dont really physicalize the character, but they always find remarkable truth in the the circumstances and how they would react to them

micool wrote:hopefully, Leo becomes a favorite for Nolan to use in his movies

also, does anyone think heath ledger,if he was still alive, could have played Arthur, I think him and JGL look exactly alike :)

i think probably Eames if anything, because it's more of a slippery character and it kind of reminds me of Heath in Parnassus

talli wrote:
kanjisheik wrote:Will Smith is overrated. He's not an actor, he's a superstar - there's a difference. Brad Pitt would have been an amazing choice - check out his character roles in the past - great filmography. Hope Nolan works with him sometime soon. But anyway, looks like Leo has done an incredible job here, so this discussion is moot. :-)

he's not overrated....he actually gives very truthful performances in the same vain as dicaprio....they dont really physicalize the character, but they always find remarkable truth in the the circumstances and how they would react to them
are you saying smith is as good as dicaprio?

akv1984 wrote:I can imagine Brad Pitt in the role. Not too sure about Will Smith.
Make that two.

Jonas Agersø wrote:
akv1984 wrote:I can imagine Brad Pitt in the role. Not too sure about Will Smith.
Make that two.
brad pitt would have been a good hoice. will smith only in box office terms...but not in terms of acting..

Christopher Nolan wrote:
talli wrote:

i'm saying they approach characters in a similar way...i dont know if one is better than the other, itd be pretty hard to tell and is open to debate

will is definitely better than pitt...pitt plays things naturalistically, in a sense, you never see him go to an emotion, its just straight face or half grin that he does, and youre expected to assume that he's feeling something

talli wrote: i'm saying they approach characters in a similar way...i dont know if one is better than the other, itd be pretty hard to tell and is open to debate

will is definitely better than pitt...pitt plays things naturalistically, in a sense, you never see him go to an emotion, its just straight face or half grin that he does, and youre expected to assume that he's feeling something
not gonna agree with you on that. pitt is an excellent actor better than will smith. no emotion? se7en? fight club? even button? babel?

Just dont make me laugh,oops laughed already :lol: :lol: :lol: