User Review: The Music of Inception -- by Sallygucha

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
I have to admit, I am a music junkie. I eat, breathe, sleep, and just plain love music. I cannot put into words how much I love the music in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight -- to me, this is what movie music should be; an accompaniment to the visuals. Every single beat matched and even added emotional weight to the scenes in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Think about the scene in Batman Begins when Bruce Wayne first explores the bat cave under Wayne manor and the bats burst out and rush Wayne, engulfing him; the music was a rush that fit like a glove. Think about the scene in Dark Knight when the Joker bursts out of the body bag to surprise Gambol; a jolt of panic induced by the Joker, popping up when you least expect; so too was Zimmer's music, like a tear through the mundane with an electricity you just cannot duplicate. The music in The Dark Knight just matched so damn well with every single minute of the film; there wasn't a false moment. Everything gelled.

Now comes Inception. Possibly the most intriguing and anticipated of Nolan's films to date. But everyone also anticipates Hans Zimmer's score; we expect it to top The Dark Knight. Does it? No. Not by a long shot. Not even close. This is disappointing to me because I expected so much from Hans Zimmer. When the first teaser for Inception hit theaters in August of 2009, we were treated to a sound none of us had heard before: Rising tension interrupted by an unusual sonic BONG that repeated over and over. This was truly unique. Contemporary. Awesome. I expected the score to be like this, but kicked up a notch and into another gear by Zimmer. Instead, the music is conventional and misplaced in the final film. There are glimpses of brilliance, though. Most notably a foot chase through Mombasa and Gordon Levitt's bullet-exhcanging battle against projections through a window. But the rest just simply does not fit with what is going on on screen; especially the rest of the action scenes. There are scenes in the third act that are high octane, high stakes, and absolutely fantastic, that include multiple players on multiple levels, with time running out; the action is rapid and intense, shoot outs in snowy mountains on skis and snowmobiles, a car chase through rainy streets, and an intense fist fight in a rotating hallway, and this is the music that plays over it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Uti8ucuEw

It does not match or add anything to what is on screen. What was Zimmer thinking??? All art is subjective. Maybe some will like this sort of music to serve the action, but to me this is so conventional and so slow that it defeats the purpose of the scenes and becomes overly repetitive throughout the course of the film. The Dark Knight and Batman Begins had music that was meshed with the films' DNA. With Inception you have the film playing on screen and Hans Zimmer's score playing outside it, conventional and isolated from the heart-pounding visuals. If music were couples, Zimmer and the Batman movies would be Sonny and Cher. And Inception would be Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley.

Many people on the board were surprised that I gave Inception such a low score simply because I didn't like the music, so this time I'm gonna score the film and the music separately. After all, they are two separate and different animals that don't go well together at all:

The Movie: 7/10

The Music: 1/10

sallygucha wrote:The Music: 1/10
:cry: I sincerely hope I don't find it that bad.

sallygucha wrote:I have to admit, I am a music junkie. I eat, breathe, sleep, and just plain love music. I cannot put into words how much I love the music in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight -- to me, this is what movie music should be; an accompaniment to the visuals. Every single beat matched and even added emotional weight to the scenes in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Think about the scene in Batman Begins when Bruce Wayne first explores the bat cave under Wayne manor and the bats burst out and rush Wayne, engulfing him; the music was a rush that fit like a glove. Think about the scene in Dark Knight when the Joker bursts out of the body bag to surprise Gambol; a jolt of panic induced by the Joker, popping up when you least expect; so too was Zimmer's music, like a tear through the mundane with an electricity you just cannot duplicate. The music in The Dark Knight just matched so damn well with every single minute of the film; there wasn't a false moment. Everything gelled.

Now comes Inception. Possibly the most intriguing and anticipated of Nolan's films to date. But everyone also anticipates Hans Zimmer's score; we expect it to top The Dark Knight. Does it? No. Not by a long shot. Not even close. This is disappointing to me because I expected so much from Hans Zimmer. When the first teaser for Inception hit theaters in August of 2009, we were treated to a sound none of us had heard before: Rising tension interrupted by an unusual sonic BONG that repeated over and over. This was truly unique. Contemporary. Awesome. I expected the score to be like this, but kicked up a notch and into another gear by Zimmer. Instead, the music is conventional and misplaced in the final film. There are glimpses of brilliance, though. Most notably a foot chase through Mombasa and Gordon Levitt's bullet-exhcanging battle against projections through a window. But the rest just simply does not fit with what is going on on screen; especially the rest of the action scenes. There are scenes in the third act that are high octane, high stakes, and absolutely fantastic, that include multiple players on multiple levels, with time running out; the action is rapid and intense, shoot outs in snowy mountains on skis and snowmobiles, a car chase through rainy streets, and an intense fist fight in a rotating hallway, and this is the music that plays over it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Uti8ucuEw

It does not match or add anything to what is on screen. What was Zimmer thinking??? All art is subjective. Maybe some will like this sort of music to serve the action, but to me this is so conventional and so slow that it defeats the purpose of the scenes and becomes overly repetitive throughout the course of the film. The Dark Knight and Batman Begins had music that was meshed with the films' DNA. With Inception you have the film playing on screen and Hans Zimmer's score playing outside it, conventional and isolated from the heart-pounding visuals. If music were couples, Zimmer and the Batman movies would be Sonny and Cher. And Inception would be Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley.

Many people on the board were surprised that I gave Inception such a low score simply because I didn't like the music, so this time I'm gonna score the film and the music separately. After all, they are two separate and different animals that don't go well together at all:

The Movie: 7/10

The Music: 1/10

I actually happen to find that track very suspenseful... I for one cannot wait to see this movie.. and I believe I will very likely enjoy ALL that it has to offer.

Having seen the film also:

Film - 9/10
Music - 7/10

That 9/10 score includes my take on the music, so it's not like the music brings it down. The film is amazing and I genuinely don't think the music detracts from it in any way, shape or form.

What's wrong with that track, it sounds like action scene music to me..??? I love the moody second half also. What do you think of the music in isolation? I think its a very interesting score, it is by no means simple - lots of dissonance and cross cutting melodies, I find I can listen to it as music on its own which is something I cannot say for the majority of film scores.

A couple of thoughts, hopefully we can close the door on this and stop harassing poor Salygucha.

There have been times when I have had a similar reaction to music not fitting. It never killed the movie for me, but seeing as how I am a huge music and soundtrack junkie, it definitely would make me twitch or cringe.

I think the bottom line is that Sallygucha was disappointed with the way the score fit with the film, and that's ok. She didn't care for the main action theme(s) of it and there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe she was building the score up in her mind too much, who knows. But the bottom line is that we shouldn't be giving her this much grief over an aspect that was obviously this important to her, but she felt she was let down by.

I say give it a rest and leave her be. There's no need to give yourselves an ulcer over this. :JGLface:
Last edited by neo78956 on July 13th, 2010, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I love all the music that I've heard so far including that track. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight's score were good, but typical hollywood and zimmer bombast. The James Newton Howard stuff like "Harvey Two-Face" for instance, was much better, IMO. Inception sounds like it still retains Zimmer's style while incorporating influences from Vangelis' score for Blade Runner, and other 70s and 80s science fiction films. Much more interesting than The Dark Knight's score.