Metacritic - Inception

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.

I agree, the thing about RT is that the percent of positive reviews gets looked at more than the actual average rating of the film.

Metacritic is better, thanks for posting this.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

the combo of rt, meta and imdb - is the best.
@sammyjankis88

Yeah, I like Metacritic the best overall. They're just not always the best one to watch while you're anticipating, since they take a while to put reviews and combined scores up. Actually, I used a website called Criticker that predicts the score I'll give to a movie based on people with similar taste, but Metacritic is my favorite after that.

Metacritic soon will be

100 - Boxoffice Magazine
100 - Empire
100 - Variety
90 - The Hollywood Reporter

For a start around 96

George wrote: For a start around 96
No :D, metacritic has problems with math, so rating is 100

VanRaZor wrote:
George wrote: For a start around 96
No :D, metacritic has problems with math, so rating is 100
They have an interesting weighted system, and obviously Hollywood Reporter doesn't matter.

100: Yay! Inception is winning!

I think it also has to do with the range of reviews. All of the scores so far are within 10 points.

George wrote:Metacritic soon will be

100 - Boxoffice Magazine
100 - Empire
100 - Variety
90 - The Hollywood Reporter

For a start around 96
yet somehow they've averaged that as a perfect 100 lol.

Q: So, how do you compute METASCORES anyway?

A: To put it simply, a METASCORE is a weighted average of reviews from national critics and publications for a given movie, book, TV show, videogame, or album. For those of you who enjoy math, read further.

The basic concept is the same for each of the genres (except books, which has a unique system) currently included in our site. Let's use a fictional movie--'Iron Chef vs. Godzilla'--as an example.

Our staffers will go through every publication on our Film Publications list (see below) looking for reviews for Iron Chef vs. Godzilla. For each review found, we will take the score given by the critic and convert it to a 0-100 point scale. (For those critics who do not provide a score, we'll assign a score from 0-100 based on the general impression given by the review.). These individual critic scores are then averaged together to come up with an overall score.

This overall score, or METASCORE, is a weighted average of the individual critic scores. Why a weighted average? When selecting our source publications, we noticed that some critics consistently write better (more detailed, more insightful, more articulate) reviews than others. In addition, some critics and/or publications typically have more prestige and weight in the industry than others. To reflect these factors, we have assigned weights to each publication (and, in the case of film, to individual critics as well), thus making some publications count more in the METASCORE calculations than others.

In addition, for our film and music sections, all of the weighted averages are normalized before generating the METASCORE. To put it another way that should be familiar to anyone who has taken an exam in high school or college, all of our movies, games, and CDs are graded on a curve. Thus the METASCORE may be higher or lower than the true weighted average of the individual reviews, thanks to this normalization calculation. Normalization causes the scores to be spread out over a wider range, instead of being clumped together. Generally, higher scores are pushed higher, and lower scores are pushed lower. Unlike in high school, this is a good thing, since it provides more of a distinction between scores and allows you to better compare scores across movies (or CDs).

The resulting METASCORE, then, is a good indication of how a particular movie/game/CD was reviewed. The better the reviews, the higher the score will be; the worse the reviews, the lower the score will be. Ideally, if reviews are completely divided between good and bad, the METASCORE should be close to 50.