The INCEPTION Award Season Discussion Thread

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
I'm sorry but that is not true, it had normal writing, good acting but nothing more.
Obviously your judgement is either clouded by your fanboy love for Inception or you are not educated or aware of what good writing or filmmaking for that matter is. The Social Network has absolutely brilliant dialogue, and character fluidity, which is something Inception lacks. The Social Networks editing is flawless, as is the continuity. The acting, most notably the dialogue repetition is incredible. The music highlights Marks characters and the tones of the film beautifully. It deserves every award it has been getting.

Directed towards the FANBOYS on this site-

Inception is a fantastic film with beautiful scenery, awesome practical effects, par acting, and contender worthy music. That being said the script is far from perfect, as is the entire film. People on this site can't seem to comprehend that "who will be talking about The Social Network in 3 years" is irrelevant and purely ignorant. Unless you or somebody else would like to share your crystal ball with the rest of the world, then shut the hell up with this bullshit about Inception being a film people will remember where as every other Oscar contender will be forgotten. It's a stupid, unsupported, and irrelevant argument.

Robin wrote:Other than the foreign language category this was pretty much par for the course I would say. All the usual suspects won in this rather boring and predictable race.

And people; before this year Fincher (se7en, fight club and zodiac.. hello?) has never been awarded properly for his outstanding directorial qualities, so any award that man picks up I support wholeheartedly.

Gervais and De Niro was great.
But the thing is that we should not be doing this awarding based on reconciliation and "making up for the past". It should be based on the film they made THIS year.

I agree that Fincher has many great works from the past that deserved more recognition from th past, but IMO this wasn't the film to triumph him with; it was one of his less astounding directorial efforts. And I'm sure that he will have plenty more great projects in the future, ones that he will be awarded for because his direction was extraordinary and indeed THE BEST.

I'm sick of this award giving to reconcile for past mistakes, especially when there's plenty of time to do it more justifiably in the future. The guy's only 48, for pete's sake.
Last edited by movieman1005 on January 17th, 2011, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's not like the social network hasn't swept EVERY award pre-golden globes so it shouldn't be a shocker that it wins.. it's the consensious title of the year. It's the one everyone can agree on and a film that is perfect across the board. Much like The Hurt Locker.

Is it overrated? Obviously. So was The Hurt Locker. Is it a great film? Yes. Even Fincher acknowledges that.

It's not like Glee won more awards than Inception.. oh wait :D
@sammyjankis88

movieman1005 wrote:
Robin wrote:Other than the foreign language category this was pretty much par for the course I would say. All the usual suspects won in this rather boring and predictable race.

And people; before this year Fincher (se7en, fight club and zodiac.. hello?) has never been awarded properly for his outstanding directorial qualities, so any award that man picks up I support wholeheartedly.

Gervais and De Niro was great.
But the thing is that we should not be doing this awarding based on reconciliation and "making up for the past". It should be based on the film they made THIS year.
I agree that Fincher has many great works from the past that deserved more recognition from th past, but IMO this wasn't the film to triumph him with; it was one of his less astounding directorial efforts. And I'm sure that he will have plenty more great projects in the future, ones that he will be awarded for because his direction was extraordinary and indeed THE BEST.

I'm sick of this award giving to reconcile for past mistakes, especially when there's plenty of time to do it more justifiably in the future. The guy's only 48, for pete's sake.

Trying to say this was a win to reconcile for past mistakes really denigrates his work on The Social Network. His other works may have been more outwardly or technically ambitious, but his execution on TSN was by far the best.

Crazy Eight wrote: People on this site can't seem to comprehend that "who will be talking about The Social Network in 3 years" is irrelevant and purely ignorant. Unless you or somebody else would like to share your crystal ball with the rest of the world, then shut the hell up with this bullshit about Inception being a film people will remember where as every other Oscar contender will be forgotten. It's a stupid, unsupported, and irrelevant argument.
Oh, I'm sorry, were you needing a comeback?

Apologies.

K then.

Ahem.

I said that we'll all be watching and ENJOYING Inception over and over again in 2 or 3 years. And then I said that not too fuckin' many people will be watching TSN over again in 2 or 3 years. Comparative statement.

Spintop wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote: People on this site can't seem to comprehend that "who will be talking about The Social Network in 3 years" is irrelevant and purely ignorant. Unless you or somebody else would like to share your crystal ball with the rest of the world, then shut the hell up with this bullshit about Inception being a film people will remember where as every other Oscar contender will be forgotten. It's a stupid, unsupported, and irrelevant argument.
Oh, I'm sorry, were you needing a comeback?

Apologies.

K then.

Ahem.

I said that we'll all be watching and ENJOYING Inception over and over again in 2 or 3 years. And then I said that not too fuckin' many people will be watching TSN over again in 2 or 3 years. Comparative statement.

I can see myself watching and enjoying both The Social Network and Inception for many years to come.

In your opinion, yes, in 97% of critics opinion, no. Nearly every critic loves this movie and aside from people on this site getting pissy at the film because it's beating out Inception at the awards shows (who woulda thought?), I've never heard someone say they didn't like the film. But if The Kings Speech was dominating like The Social Network was, it'd be the movie people on here pick on, so I guess it really doesn't matter.
Please, may I see your crystal ball? I'd like you to give me any evidence that suggests that "not too fuckin' many people with be watching TSN over again in 2 or 3 years". You're making this claim based off of your feelings towards the two films; you have no idea whether people will be enjoying The Social Network in 3 years.

Crazy Eight wrote:
I'm sorry but that is not true, it had normal writing, good acting but nothing more.
Obviously your judgement is either clouded by your fanboy love for Inception or you are not educated or aware of what good writing or filmmaking for that matter is. The Social Network has absolutely brilliant dialogue, and character fluidity, which is something Inception lacks. The Social Networks editing is flawless, as is the continuity. The acting, most notably the dialogue repetition is incredible. The music highlights Marks characters and the tones of the film beautifully. It deserves every award it has been getting.

Inception is a fantastic film with beautiful scenery, awesome practical effects, par acting, and contender worthy music. That being said the script is far from perfect, as is the entire film. People on this site can't seem to comprehend that "who will be talking about The Social Network in 3 years" is irrelevant and purely ignorant. Unless you or somebody else would like to share your crystal ball with the rest of the world, then shut the hell up with this bullshit about Inception being a film people will remember where as every other Oscar contender will be forgotten. It's a stupid, unsupported, and irrelevant argument.
My judgment is not clouded by my fanboy love for Inception nor am I ignorant in movies, I just think that you're overselling TSN, a lot. Like I had said it is in no way a bad movie, it is quite good, but not does not have flawless editing and the dialogue was good but not amazing. But I have to admit one thing that would make all of what I said invalid, I really, really hate hipsters and that's what I felt the characters represented even if that was not the case in the movie. So maybe I'm completely wrong about this movie because of my hate for hipsters and what the characters felt to me, so I guess my arguments are actually invalid, but let me say one thing, with TSN it was like any other movie I saw (not the quality, but the feeling) but Inception was a completely new and amazing experience unlike anything else, while it didn't have the best continuity, it made up for it in its innovation. But you could disregard all of what I said because of what I said earlier.
I'm sorry I'm not getting much sleep, don't judge me too hard.

Crazy Eight wrote:

But do keep in mind that not everyone here is a fan boy (nor are other people who agree with them). Most of the previous posters on this thread, yes, but I actually feel genuine about my opinions. TSN may be a more "perfect" movie by grading standards, but some people may have got more out of the experience of seeing Inception, and felt it was more extraordinary in many respects.

As far as awards I certainly think many of them were deservable, but what about directing, do you still say Fincher over Nolan?

"Your waiting for an award, an award that will take you far away. You know where you hope this award will take you, but you dont know for sure. But it dosent matter, Because its still an amazing movie.

"All this 'good vs evil' shit's been played out. It's now time for 'BAD VS. EVIL'

-David Ayer on Suicide Squad.