The INCEPTION Award Season Discussion Thread

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
I disagree with the failure to bring in emotions. This has become a basic issue nowadays. Critics complain lack of humor in a thriller. They complain lack of pace in a drama. It just does not add up. If you compare TSN with inception one can very well say TSN does not have many things that Inception has and vice versa. Comparing across genres and expecting the same set of elements in a movie is not right. A horror movie will never win then. That just begs the question whether Art only means drama? And I simply cant agree that there were 5 better directors than nolan this year.

waverz wrote:I disagree with the failure to bring in emotions. This has become a basic issue nowadays. Critics complain lack of humor in a thriller. They complain lack of pace in a drama. It just does not add up. If you compare TSN with inception one can very well say TSN does not have many things that Inception has and vice versa. Comparing across genres and expecting the same set of elements in a movie is not right. A horror movie will never win then. That just begs the question whether Art only means drama? And I simply cant agree that there were 5 better directors than nolan this year.
Couldn`t agree more :thumbup:

hoppity-kick wrote:
DreamArchitect wrote:SNUB I seriously hate that term. Unless you're discussing how Brokeback Mountain was robbed because of the Academy's homophobia or how Saving Private Ryan lost to Shakespeare in Love etc. Can't we just not criticize these other talented directors? Can't we just agree that Nolan was not snubbed and that he just simply lost to six other worthy contenders? Besides, he's already nominated for Best Screenplay and Best Picture. There is no hate. The Academy does not hate Nolan. Or else they would have shoved Nolan away from a screenplay nod and given it to Black Swan instead. Just celebrate the fact that he's already getting twice the recognition already. I admit that the directing was good but not as great. Yes he spent 10 years writing a script, yes he produced the film, but they are judging on directing. His major flaw was that he failed to execute complex emotional values and themes into his story and characters. That's the thing I wish Nolan did. Just like he did with Memento. It was a very emotional storyline, and it worked well.

Just ask yourself, what if the Academy is waiting for Nolan to give his greatest acheivement? I cannot wait for that year.
Disagree, specifically the failure of executing complex emotional values and themes into his story and characters. Many film critics will disagree with you (like Kermode, Ebert and Roeper) Even film directors will disagree with you (DGA nom as a proof). Heck, even an ordinary film buff like me will disagree with you (do I need to prove that everyone is enraged with the SNUB?)
He is very much deserving this time. Just like with The Dark Knight. It's not that his competition is not good. He's just better. Yes... even better against Fincher and Aronofsky.
Well I was enraged with the 'snub' also. But what about the other talented directors nominated? I understand your hope for this. But one reason why I'm feeling gracious about it is because there is nothing you can do now. The nominations have been set. BUT don't give up hope for best original screenplay. The Academy could either pull an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and choose Inception for its originality and concept or they can pull a Milk and choose The King's Speech of TKAAR because more meaningful scripts is the trend the Academy has been choosing lately.

But with the disagreeing of emotions, etc. It's just a personal opinion. I was mind blown by Inception, but I personally failed to connect with the characters. Except with the flashback scene where Mal commits suicide. But the rest, I couldn't feel the emotion because he was dreaming.

Composer Hans Zimmer, nominated for his original score for Inception, said of his omission: "I think he was held up at gunpoint.

"My instinct tells me that because it was a commercial success, suddenly they took the idea of artfulness away from him.

"I think if the Academy wants to stay current ... they need to go and look at these things very carefully. I've worked with a lot of directors. There are few directors that are in the class of a Chris Nolan ... It's not right."
by the way, what`s the meaning of the expression: I think he was held up at gunpoint ??

The reason the snub word is used...specifically made towards the Coens is that, as Roeper said, nobody on that list could've done Inception. Nolan could've done the other films on the list. True Grit is a prime example. It's a remake of an Oscar nominated film for 1969. It's been done before!

Inception and the Black Swan are the only films on that list that are out and out director's films.

DreamArchitect wrote: Well I was enraged with the 'snub' also. But what about the other talented directors nominated? I understand your hope for this. But one reason why I'm feeling gracious about it is because there is nothing you can do now. The nominations have been set. BUT don't give up hope for best original screenplay. The Academy could either pull an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and choose Inception for its originality and concept or they can pull a Milk and choose The King's Speech of TKAAR because more meaningful scripts is the trend the Academy has been choosing lately.
Maybe were discussing subjectivity here. All of the directors nominated are undeniably talented. But let me ask you this. How about the most VISIONARY director of them all? How about giving him an honor for the most wonderfully executed film. How about the most deserving recipient of them all?
waverz wrote:I disagree with the failure to bring in emotions. This has become a basic issue nowadays. Critics complain lack of humor in a thriller. They complain lack of pace in a drama. It just does not add up. If you compare TSN with inception one can very well say TSN does not have many things that Inception has and vice versa. Comparing across genres and expecting the same set of elements in a movie is not right. A horror movie will never win then. That just begs the question whether Art only means drama? And I simply cant agree that there were 5 better directors than nolan this year.
This. This tells that film is all about EXPERIENCE. Are we moved by PULP FICTION? Heck no. But it's a great cinematic experience. So even though you didn't felt a connection with Cobb, it doesn't mean that Nolan is not worthy of the nomination spot. We felt the great vision Nolan wanted us to experience. We were totally sucked by the dream world of INCEPTION. Heck, it was the most astonishing cinematic experience I've ever had.

hoppity-kick wrote:
DreamArchitect wrote: Well I was enraged with the 'snub' also. But what about the other talented directors nominated? I understand your hope for this. But one reason why I'm feeling gracious about it is because there is nothing you can do now. The nominations have been set. BUT don't give up hope for best original screenplay. The Academy could either pull an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and choose Inception for its originality and concept or they can pull a Milk and choose The King's Speech of TKAAR because more meaningful scripts is the trend the Academy has been choosing lately.
Maybe were discussing subjectivity here. All of the directors nominated are undeniably talented. But let me ask you this. How about the most VISIONARY director of them all? How about giving him an honor for the most wonderfully executed film. How about the most deserving recipient of them all?
You've got a point. There are two voices in my mind: One says, The Academy should recognise Nolan because he's visionary. The other says But Best Director isn't about the visuals. It's about how the director portrays his/her message and evokes certain target responses in their work.

Side note: You missed out Quentin Tarantino in your signature!

DreamArchitect wrote: You've got a point. There are two voices in my mind: One says, The Academy should recognise Nolan because he's visionary. The other says But Best Director isn't about the visuals. It's about how the director portrays his/her message and evokes certain target responses in their work.
Uh, I think GREAT VISUALS doesn't imply VISIONARY. I think it's all about IMAGINATION. of course Imagination is not exclusive to visuals only. Again it's about letting us experience that great vision. And of course, as Ariadne would say, it's more of a feeling than visuals.
Then again, you didn't feel the emotional core of Inception. I guess that's why you don't see that Nolan was snubbed once again. That term is very appropriate, at least for me.
DreamArchitect wrote: Side note: You missed out Quentin Tarantino in your signature!
Thanks for the reminder. But I intended to put directors which has a resemblance to Nolan.

hoppity-kick wrote:
DreamArchitect wrote: You've got a point. There are two voices in my mind: One says, The Academy should recognise Nolan because he's visionary. The other says But Best Director isn't about the visuals. It's about how the director portrays his/her message and evokes certain target responses in their work.
Uh, I think GREAT VISUALS doesn't imply VISIONARY. I think it's all about IMAGINATION. of course Imagination is not exclusive to visuals only. Again it's about letting us experience that great vision. And of course, as Ariadne would say, it's more of a feeling than visuals.
Then again, you didn't feel the emotional core of Inception. I guess that's why you don't see that Nolan was snubbed once again. That term is very appropriate, at least for me.
I did feel Inception emotionally. Maybe I should watch it again. I've seen it 6 times. A 7th time wouldn't be bad to remind me how amazing the movie is. It's just the film is really long so I hesitate watching it again. When I watch it again I'll let you know if I felt something. I'll let all of my prejudices out. :thumbup:

CORRECTION: I DO remember feeling Inception emotionally. It was only character development and the fact that there were not many meaningful messages in the movie which leads me to believe that it was the reason Nolan was not nominated. When I watch Inception, there aren't many meaningful themes.