The INCEPTION Award Season Discussion Thread

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
It would be amazing if Nolan gets the Director Guild Award next weekend...

Jumpman wrote:warrior,

I understand what you're saying. I know my reason's flawed. But for me, Nolan's been on a four film ridiculous streak (Begins, Prestige, Knight, and Inception). The law of averages says that Nolan has to have a misstep...even if it's a slight one with his next picture.

Trust me, I don't want it to be so but it's gotta happen some time. Doesn't it?
What is a slight misstep? Will a lot of people (mostly trolls probably) call TDKR a letdown if it has a 8.2 rating on RT (I think TDK is an 8.4) and has a 8.6 on IMDB? If that is the case then I would say TDKR has a good chance of being a misstep in most people's eyes. However I do think TDKR will be very good just because Nolan seems really excited about the project. I think I might have posted this in another topic, but seeing as a lot of people are downplaying TDKR I think if Nolan makes it good I think the quality could be magnified (if that makes sense, not sure how to word it).

PowerDump wrote:
Jumpman wrote:warrior,

I understand what you're saying. I know my reason's flawed. But for me, Nolan's been on a four film ridiculous streak (Begins, Prestige, Knight, and Inception). The law of averages says that Nolan has to have a misstep...even if it's a slight one with his next picture.

Trust me, I don't want it to be so but it's gotta happen some time. Doesn't it?
What is a slight misstep? Will a lot of people (mostly trolls probably) call TDKR a letdown if it has a 8.2 rating on RT (I think TDK is an 8.4) and has a 8.6 on IMDB? If that is the case then I would say TDKR has a good chance of being a misstep in most people's eyes. However I do think TDKR will be very good just because Nolan seems really excited about the project. I think I might have posted this in another topic, but seeing as a lot of people are downplaying TDKR I think if Nolan makes it good I think the quality could be magnified (if that makes sense, not sure how to word it).
I thin that Nolan will never be apart of a bad movie. What sucks is that everything is going to be compared to Ledger's Joker and TDK.

the only way to make this right is to have a Chris Nolan tribute/TDKR appreciation in 2012, instead of the Oscar awards...just dedicate a whole night to Chris Nolan lol

The Academy is full of douche bags who didn't even admit that TDK, The Wrestler and WALL E snubs were the reason for expanding the BEST PICTURE nomination into 10 slots though the truth was very apparent to the whole world.

I'm not expecting Inception for BEST PICTURE. But BEST DIRECTOR snub??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too much. It's just too much. Nolan is really our new KUBRICK.

Everybody needs their totem check :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hoppity-kick wrote:The Academy is full of douche bags who didn't even admit that TDK, The Wrestler and WALL E snubs were the reason for expanding the BEST PICTURE nomination into 10 slots though the truth was very apparent to the whole world.

I'm not expecting Inception for BEST PICTURE. But BEST DIRECTOR snub??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too much. It's just too much. Nolan is really our new KUBRICK.
The academy loves to wait 10 years after a director has made their masterpiece, just look at Fincher, Boyle, Coens, Bigelow (and yes, I did just say Bigelow)

Guys, welcome to a world where Joel & Ethan Coen are nominated for a remake and Nolan is snubbed for an original film.

Notice how all the other films (except Black Swan) are sequels, remakes, re-imaginings, or adaptations.

This is why you should stop caring about the Oscars so much, as I am trying to do.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Late to the party, so I'll try and make this short. I had a feeling Nolan wasn't going to get nominated for Best Director; Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay, yes, but Best Director was the one I was holding my breath on. Looking at the Best Director nominations is a fairly easy way to deduce exactly who exactly of the 10 Best Picture nominees are the real contenders, and given the lack of enthusiasm the older Academy members initially showed Inception, I thought that it would be a lot harder for Nolan to get that Best Director nod.

Is it a snub? From a filmmaking standpoint, absolutely. Not to say that the other films were bad or the directors undeserving of their nominations, because that's not the case. A lot of those directors did a really good job with their films. But, for example, though I thought David O' Russel did a good job with The Fighter, it was a film I felt a number of directors could've made, whereas only Chris Nolan could've made Inception work.

But is the lack of a nomination surprising? I'd personally say it's disappointing rather than surprising. This is similar in to The Dark Knight in a few ways. Both were highly successful films that took critics and audiences by storm, and by the eve of the nominations most people had both films pegged as a lock for both Directing and Best Picture. BP this time around was easier to swallow because there are 10 nominations, but even with just 5 slots for Directing most people considered both a lock, and they didn't get it.

In that regard it's disappointing, because The Dark Knight and Inception were so well done, it was practically close to a sure thing for a film as you can get (especially in Inception's case, when you consider the major blockbuster of last year, Avatar, scored a Best Director nomination). But ultimately it wasn't surprising becuase the Academy does have their biases against particular types of films & genres, and would much sooner reward a straight-forward drama than a sci-fi blockbuster that also happens to have a very strong emotional core.

I can see this becoming a trend with Nolan as long as he keeps making high-quality films, but like Sasha Stone said, as long as he keeps making the film's in his own way rather than the Academy's way, he'll probably only receive some nominations & very little wins.

I personally think the Editing snub is more surprising than the Directing snub. Even though I could kind of see it coming, with the confusion of some of the older members, the editing made Inception something to remember. I mean, editing is such a core importance of a film, it's hard for the Academy to say Inception was worthy of a Best Picture nomination but confusing in it's editing.

But nevertheless, it's nice to see Inception rewarded with nominations in a lot of other areas it was successful in. Like The Dark Knight, it was truly a technical juggernaut.