The INCEPTION Award Season Discussion Thread

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Posts: 120
Joined: January 2011
Location: underneath Catwoman
willyjoel wrote:
aTbagger wrote:I'm gonna say something here and I might get flamed for being a fanboy but seriously I do not understand how the social network is in any way better than Inception especially in directing. It is a decent movie but nothing too spectacular, it's basically only good because it's about Facebook and its creation, that's it, I don't think that movie would have been considered that good if it was about anything else than Facebook even with the same story. And this is not just about mainstream viewers I just don't understand why it's being considered as the best movie of the year when it had nothing new to offer, and being full of normal (didn't want to say mediocre since it's not bad). Can someone just explain to me how it can even compete with Inception in Directing or Best picture? Also what Sallygucha said is kind of part of my point here.
Well, to be fair, TSN got a fantastic script, full of memorable dialog and lines that could become part of movie history, seriously, but apart from that (and the fact that I really, really like Jesse Eisenberg), I don't see much, specially with Fincher, perhaps the fact that he is "due" somehow? or the way he directed his actors? but on that I'll put it in the same plane as Nolan and Aronofsky, not above them. But hey, it's just an awards show, its enterntainment, nothing else; this doesn't take anything from the magic of Inception and the immense, almost infinite talent and intellect of Mr. Nolan.
That's right. We all know that 2 maybe 3 years from now we're all gonna be watching Inception over and over again and still fucking ENJOY it. 2 or 3 years from now, how many people are gonna be watching TSN again?

Not too fuckin' many.

Posts: 171
Joined: June 2010
willyjoel wrote:But hey, it's just an awards show, its enterntainment, nothing else; this doesn't take anything from the magic of Inception and the immense, almost infinite talent and intellect of Mr. Nolan.
Well, as obvious as this may seem, many other people don’t. That’s why I am confused.

A movie about facebook beat out a movie about dreams that truly evokes emotion and visual wonderment.

Doesn’t make sense. :roll:

Posts: 471
Joined: August 2010
Just read my signature

Posts: 13943
Joined: June 2009
Location: La La Land
Called it... FANBOYS, ROLL OUT!

:lol:
Last edited by Crazy Eight on January 16th, 2011, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 736
Joined: May 2010
Nolan won't win any awards unless he gives in to the powers that be. Think about it... Behind the social network is Scott Rudin and Kevin Spacey. No movie can beat it.

Posts: 736
Joined: May 2010
"Thank you to God... for making me an atheist." LOL! Ricky Gervais was the only reason to watch the Golden Globes.

Posts: 45
Joined: August 2010
Dark enV wrote:
aTbagger wrote:I'm gonna say something here and I might get flamed for being a fanboy but seriously I do not understand how the social network is in any way better than Inception especially in directing. It is a decent movie but nothing too spectacular, it's basically only good because it's about Facebook and its creation, that's it, I don't think that movie would have been considered that good if it was about anything else than Facebook even with the same story. And this is not just about mainstream viewers I just don't understand why it's being considered as the best movie of the year when it had nothing new to offer, and being full of normal (didn't want to say mediocre since it's not bad). Can someone just explain to me how it can even compete with Inception in Directing or Best picture? Also what Sallygucha said is kind of part of my point here.
I disagree, most people didn't want to see the film because it was about Facebook, it was a fabulous and beautiful film, well written, acted, beautiful cinematography, and a great score. But as far as a director, Nolan is better, he did more than any of the other directors and pulled it off brilliantly. Notice his film is the one that made the most money out of all the others nominated because he can do something many directors can't do, he made a film that connects the bridge between filmmaking art and pure entertainment that critics and audiences all can enjoy, that's why he deserves to be known as best director.
I'm sorry but that is not true, it had normal writing, good acting but nothing more. Also the guy says that Zukerberg's life has served him to create a story about communication between people bla bla bla, now that I cannot take, that was just being a hipster trying to put artistic value in his movie by saying that, but I'm sorry I cannot stand people like that.
What I'm saying is very fanboy-ish but I just say what I think and I believe that's what it is. Also one reason I don't "hate" TSN is that I like Jesse Eisenberg. another off topic thing, Ricky Gervais made me lol with his ending line.

Posts: 2001
Joined: November 2009
Location: Wisconsin, USA
sallygucha wrote:"Thank you to God... for making me an atheist." LOL! Ricky Gervais was the only reason to watch the Golden Globes.
And notice how everyone was already leaving and no attention to him, too. :( Yet he was one of the more entertaining things of the night. :thumbup:

Posts: 13622
Joined: June 2009
Location: Florida
sallygucha wrote:"Thank you to God... for making me an atheist." LOL! Ricky Gervais was the only reason to watch the Golden Globes.
This is why Ricky Gervais is one of my favorite atheists. :lol:

Posts: 736
Joined: May 2010
movieman1005 wrote:
sallygucha wrote:"Thank you to God... for making me an atheist." LOL! Ricky Gervais was the only reason to watch the Golden Globes.
And notice how everyone was already leaving and no attention to him, too. :( Yet he was one of the more entertaining things of the night. :thumbup:
He was the best thing about the night, LOL! Loved his stab at Tom Cruise and John Travolta. Did not expect that!

Post Reply