Stop being so concerned with money

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Is that what this industry has become now? Money instead of art? I hate when studios always care about money than making a good movie and I hate when fans all do is how much a movie makes. COMON PEOPLE! being sucessful is making a good movie, end of.

All they care about is money, its about sending a message. :JGLface:

At the end of the day studios are businesses and making money does matter to them. Sad but true.

I agree that making a good movie is a success in itself - it's bloody hard! And if you do make a good film and it doesn't find monetary success immediately you can bet it will be well-regarded later. This is what happened with Blade Runner IIRC.

Bueller wrote:At the end of the day studios are businesses and making money does matter to them. Sad but true.
I'm going to cry right now :lol:

Bueller wrote:At the end of the day studios are businesses and making money does matter to them. Sad but true.

I agree that making a good movie is a success in itself - it's bloody hard! And if you do make a good film and it doesn't find monetary success immediately you can bet it will be well-regarded later. This is what happened with Blade Runner IIRC.
Tell me something I dont actually know

Of course it's about money, WB wouldn't have greenlit Inception if they didn't expect a return on their investment.

My god you people are stupid. You dont seem to get what am saying. Read it again.

YummyMummy wrote:My god you people are stupid. You dont seem to get what am saying. Read it again.
You're actually right.

Making a good movie AND making a lot of money is a success.

YummyMummy wrote:Is that what this industry has become now? Money instead of art? I hate when studios always care about money than making a good movie and I hate when fans all do is how much a movie makes. COMON PEOPLE! being sucessful is making a good movie, end of.
money really dosn't matter here. nolan is fast to replace clint eastwood as WB's dependable director: w/ each film he can provide both critical acclaim and box office return. if Inception makes money, WB will let nolan keep doing what he's doing. if it dosn't, i still doubt much will change. nolan gave them their biggest hit of the past few years (outside of the harry potter franchise), i highly doubt their gonna do anything to prevent him from doing his thing on Batman 3 (which i'm positive he agreed to in his deal for Inception). Worst case scenario, WB scales back the budgets on his next couple of films, just in case. but really, outside of this and Batman, nolan has never been a big budget director. in fact, he said it himself that he considered doing Inception on a lower budget. and have those films been less entertaining or engaging because of a lower budget? no.

in all honesty, the only reason i want Inception to make megabucks is to prove to Hollywood that in a summer of remakes, reboots, sequels, 3D, and CGI-fests that something original and practical can still get an audience. do i expect it to make TDK numbers? no, but it'd be nice. i'm hoping it makes more along the lines of Batman Begins ($300-400 million worldwide). people think that Inception's worst enemy is itself w/ a complex plot, but back in 2005, Batman Begins also faced hesitation, mostly because it was following one of the worst films in history. which do you think is the greater obstacle?

and before we make any more assumptions, lets look at nolan's two other commercial hits: Insomnia and The Prestige. granted both were made on low budgets, so it was easy to make back their budget, but lemme give my point. they both made their profits based on either a.) the films themselves (ie: trailers, word of mouth) or b.) nolan and his previous works (Memento and Batman Begins in particular). In fact, if the trailers weren't good and the phrase "from the director of Batman Begins" wasn't attached, i wouldn't have seen The Prestige (and now its in my top ten, the only nolan film to do so.. until maybe Inception). Inception on the other hand has the goodwill of nolan by his fans and TDK for the masses to back him up. and as for the business w/ Salt, i remember The Prestige was released a week early to avoid competition w/ a Saw flick, and it still made money.

So in short, after all this ranting, I wouldn't worry.. :P