I trust INCEPTION will avoid carte blanche syndrome

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Seriously.

Usually, when a director is finally in the position to get some long-gestating dream project produced, the results aren't so great.

Cimino - Heaven's Gate
Levinson - Toys
Scorsese - Gangs of New York
Spielberg - 1941
Coppola - One from the Heart
Bogdonavich - Nickelodeon
Welles - Don Quixote (unfinished)
Soderbergh - Che (okay but not great)

There are exceptions, of course.

Coppola - Apocalypse Now
Lucas - Star Wars
Aronofsky - The Fountain

I'm trusting Inception will be a success, because I think Nolan is too thoughtful to be aimless or truly indulgent.

*crosses fingers*

allmond guy wrote:Seriously.

Usually, when a director is finally in the position to get some long-gestating dream project produced, the results aren't so great.

Cimino - Heaven's Gate
Levinson - Toys
Spielberg - 1941

Coppola - Apocalypse Now
Lucas - Star Wars
Aronofsky - The Fountain

I'm trusting Inception will be a success, because I think Nolan is too thoughtful to be aimless or truly indulgent.

*crosses fingers*
I completely agree with 99% of what you said, except for the parts about Gangs of New York and The Fountain. The former is one of my favorite films ever, DDL should have won an Oscar for Bill the Butcher. And the latter is a heaping pile of boring, pretentious, existential crap.

Barrett, you're right about DDL but the rest of that film is a mess.

redfirebird2008 wrote:Barrett, you're right about DDL but the rest of that film is a mess.
Well, Tomato/Tomäto. We all have different tastes. I just f*cking LOVE that movie.

Barrett wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:Barrett, you're right about DDL but the rest of that film is a mess.
Well, Tomato/Tomäto. We all have different tastes. I just f*cking LOVE that movie.
F*cking love or loving f*ck?

:lol:

I enjoyed Gangs of New York. Except for Cameron's part. Why was she even cast?
And yes, DDL should have won the Oscar for his role.

allmond guy wrote:Seriously.

Cimino - Heaven's Gate
Levinson - Toys
Spielberg - 1941

Coppola - Apocalypse Now
Lucas - Star Wars
Aronofsky - The Fountain

*crosses fingers*
FYI, speilberg's "carte blanche" was close encounters of the 3rd kind.....just to let you know. also, his DREAM project was schindler's list. "1941" was his 1st flop, but NOWHERE NEAR anything of "carte blanche".

also, scorsese's gangs of new york wasn't his "carte blanche" either, it was "new york, new york" which serves a BETTER example in whut you are saying because that was an absolute box office flop! by the time "gangs of new york" came out, scorsese was already cemented himself as a legend and could do whutever he wanted.

Sorry, I know this is off topic, but Spielberg's 1941 was NOT a box office flop. Sure it didn't make anywhere near the money of Jaws or Close Encounters, but it did make a profit nonetheless.

Inception on the other hand just oozes of greatness from the looks of it... so no need to worry :D

Syncopy54 wrote:Sorry, I know this is off topic, but Spielberg's 1941 was NOT a box office flop. Sure it didn't make anywhere near the money of Jaws or Close Encounters, but it did make a profit nonetheless.

Inception on the other hand just oozes of greatness from the looks of it... so no need to worry :D
well, lemme rephrase...it was deem as a flop in speilberg strandards incomparison to the other films at that time. 1941 was pitted between jaws, close encounters, raiders of the lost ark, and E.T.

alot of people and critics considered that film a disappointment.

and yes, a INCEPTION cannot fail. i do not see the possibility of it failing.