"Inception": Critic Reviews thread

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Armandhammer wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote: If there's enough complexity in a film to force repeat viewings for full understanding, then you can't expect everyone to be "blown away" by it the first time around. Has anyone here seen Tarkovsky's "Stalker"? My college professor made us watch it. I've only seen it one time and it was very confusing.
Does that make it a good film, or a bad one then? Sure, replay value is always good, but to be honest, I want to enjoy the film the first time around. Take Memento. Very complex. But you get most of it and it still makes a great experience first time around.

See this is what Im worried about ... how complex is this film ... :think:
In the case of Stalker, I've only seen it once and honestly I haven't even rated it because I didn't know what to think of it. I've had a pretty in-depth discussion on it with my classmates and professor. It has some strong themes going for it. I would have to rewatch it to actually judge it since a lot of it went over my head the first time around.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
Armandhammer wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote: If there's enough complexity in a film to force repeat viewings for full understanding, then you can't expect everyone to be "blown away" by it the first time around. Has anyone here seen Tarkovsky's "Stalker"? My college professor made us watch it. I've only seen it one time and it was very confusing.
Does that make it a good film, or a bad one then? Sure, replay value is always good, but to be honest, I want to enjoy the film the first time around. Take Memento. Very complex. But you get most of it and it still makes a great experience first time around.

See this is what Im worried about ... how complex is this film ... :think:
In the case of Stalker, I've only seen it once and honestly I haven't even rated it because I didn't know what to think of it. I've had a pretty in-depth discussion on it with my classmates and professor. It has some strong themes going for it. I would have to rewatch it to actually judge it since a lot of it went over my head the first time around.
That's so weird that you would mention that. I did the exact same thing; I also watched a pretty LQ version, so I won't rate it until I see a better version either.

Great lol.

Everyone on the day of Inception:

“How was the film?”

“I don’t know; have to see it again…”

To be honest, if that’s what the majority of people will think/say …

Inception = fail

LawrenceLamont
"Inception" will be the movie of the year.

On the other hand, Inception could be like the Sixth Sense, in that people have to see it again not to understand it but to see the hints they missed about things the first time.

Armandhammer wrote:Great lol.

Everyone on the day of Inception:

“How was the film?”

“I don’t know; have to see it again…”

To be honest, if that’s what the majority of people will think/say …

Inception = fail

I seriously doubt it could be as complex as Stalker. WB would not have given Nolan $200m if it was that complex of a film. The thing about Nolan's films is they may be edited in a confusing manner, but usually you can understand the general themes that are being presented. Memento had a confusing narrative structure, but you could understand what the main character was going through. I honestly had no clue WTF was going on in Stalker. It had a "plot," but it was loaded with TONS of symbolism and most of that symbolism was intentionally ambiguous. Could be religious, could be something else, and so forth.
Last edited by redfirebird2008 on June 27th, 2010, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yesterday involved watching a movie called Inception and then sitting down with Leonardo DeCaprio and director Chris Nolan to talk about it. Cool, yes. As a movie fan, a huge buzz, yes. But, as I said, fairly trivial.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Beep-beep-OneBee ... fault.aspx
Truth is, sometimes I miss you so bad I can hardly stand it. - Jack Twist

Hell yeah, in the context of that story, Inception, Nolan and DiCaprio, all are fairly trivial. In the context of what's happening in the world around us, triviality reigns supreme it would seem. People go uneducated, hungry and die with a frightening constancy before their time -- and here we are nattering on about, what, a movie, a director of said movie and it's stars. Thanks for bringing that one. :(

josephcoloraci wrote:Hell yeah, in the context of that story, Inception, Nolan and DiCaprio, all are fairly trivial. In the context of what's happening in the world around us, triviality reigns supreme it would seem. People go uneducated, hungry and die with a frightening constancy before their time -- and here we are nattering on about, what, a movie, a director of said movie and it's stars. Thanks for bringing that one. :(
So what. If we only focused on the shit that went on in the world, it would constantly be depressing. There's time in the day to think about that sort of stuff and there's the time in the day where you can just sit back and enjoy life.

Trivial my ass. You're sitting next to Leonardo DiCaprio and Christopher Nolan, two highly respected film personalities. Enjoy it. :roll:

Amazing. That guy puts one paragraph about Inception and draws in readers just to blabber on about One Laptop For Every Kid. That's trolling at its best.