"Inception": Critic Reviews thread

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Here's the first: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/fi ... C8nI9BZFhO
Peter Travers' 3 1/2 star review isn't on the magazine's website yet, so I'm going to quote his first lengthy paragraph:

"The mind-blowing movie event of the summer arrives just in time to hold back the flow of Hollywood sputum that's been sliming the multiplex. 'Inception'...will be called many things, starting with James Bond Meets 'The Matrix.' You can feel the vibe of Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner' in it, and Nolan's own 'Memento' and 'The Dark Knight.' But 'Inception' glows with a blue-flame intensity all its own. Nolan creates a dream world that he wants us to fill with our own secrets. I can't think of a better goal for any filmmaker. Of course, trusting the intelligence of the audience can cost Nolan at the box office. We're so used to being treated like idiots. How to cope with a grand-scale epic, shot in six countries at a reported cost of $160 million, that turns your head around six ways from Sunday? Dive in and drive yourself crazy, that's how.''

That seems to me as Peter's polite way of predicting this expensive movie starring Leonardo Di Caprio, Ellen Page and Joseph Gordon Levitt may play be too smart to rack up numbers anything like "The Dark Knight.'' But he sure makes it sound intriguing.

3.5/4 stars, that's great to hear. Thanks for the find.

sweet :thumbup:

Not a good sign for the box office that he's saying it's too smart for its own good. As for his rating, he gave Iron Man 2 a 3/4 and I felt that movie was as mediocre as it gets. Paramount used his quotes in their marketing and so did WB for TDK. I honestly think he might be getting paid off. No doubt his quotes will be used in Inception's marketing too.

Man I was hoping for a 4 star review, but 3,5 is also great 8-)

He also gave TDK a 3,5...
@sammyjankis88

hmm...i wait for other reviews..

Robin wrote:Man I was hoping for a 4 star review, but 3,5 is also great 8-)

He also gave TDK a 3,5...
Only Insomnia got 4/4

I wouldn't call it a review either. Just a rating and some random thoughts - but still a great start.

HAHAH dying of excitement.
@sammyjankis88

Robin wrote:I wouldn't call it a review either. Just a rating and some random thoughts - but still a great start.

HAHAH dying of excitement.

That's because it was only the first paragraph of his review. Nevertheless, when I saw his quotes being plastered all over IM2's marketing in the exact same fashion as TDK's marketing, I couldn't help but wonder whether the guy is getting a kickback from the studio. I know for a fact his review for TDK was the first one published and the same goes for Inception as well. Berardinelli is generally a reviewer I agree with, although I completely disagreed with his Prestige review. But he's an independent guy that definitely isn't being paid off so at least it's his honest opinion.