"Inception": Critic Reviews thread

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Yes he is mainstream or do you know something else we don't know?

apw wrote:
Problem is, this total writeoff's $100+M losses will eat into the profits that Chris Nolan's Inception will make for the studio this summer.
http://www.deadline.com/2010/06/first-b ... day-7m20m/

Even Nikki Finke has a soft spot for Inception. :lol: She normally just attacks everything.
If even Nikki has a soft spot for it, then that bodes well. As to the Jonah Hex debacle, I'm curious where Nikki is getting the $100+M figure from as the budget was only $47M. Interestingly this parallels what happened in 2008, when Nolan's last film helped erase the embarassment caused by Speed Racer.

Corran Horn wrote:
apw wrote:
Problem is, this total writeoff's $100+M losses will eat into the profits that Chris Nolan's Inception will make for the studio this summer.

Even Nikki Finke has a soft spot for Inception. :lol: She normally just attacks everything.
If even Nikki has a soft spot for it, then that bodes well. As to the Jonah Hex debacle, I'm curious where Nikki is getting the $100+M figure from as the budget was only $47M. Interestingly this parallels what happened in 2008, when Nolan's last film helped erase the embarassment caused by Speed Racer.
I think she's taken into account the upgraded budget of JH which was more in the $60-70M range (not sure if that included marketing, etc). Therefore it would need to have doubled that amount to break even, which is where the $100m loss comes in.

Corran Horn wrote:
apw wrote:

Hey, Speed Racer was a good movie. :JGLface:

I hate reading these ...

But there are a few "reactions" that may not have been posted.

http://thefilmstage.com/2010/06/24/earl ... pressions/

"The first 10-15 minutes are hard to understand and the music is… mmm*… but gradually you become more and more interested in the development of the plot.

There are a lot of action scenes, shooting and so on. Not too much of transcendental stuff, the main idea is basically clear. There is some special terminology in the dialogues, which, at the beginning, is hard to crack without knowing the subject of the conversation.

It is closer to The Matrix than to The Dark Knight.

It is hard to predict the box-office perspectives of the movie. The audience can be quite strange. But ‘Inception’ is not just for an average mind**, so to speak, although even such movie-goers might fancy the film. If one puts aside the idea of the movie and watches mere action, the film is still very interesting to watch, at least, to my taste."

:think:

nadine wrote:I think she's taken into account the upgraded budget of JH which was more in the $60-70M range (not sure if that included marketing, etc). Therefore it would need to have doubled that amount to break even, which is where the $100m loss comes in.
JH also did a lot of re-shoots so that probably shot up the budget. Plus don't forget the marketing and distribution budgets.

That's from the Russian journalist. I saw something posted elsewhere from someone who was at the recent SAG screening and said that half the people were really into Inception and half were sort of underwhelmed, although no one said they hated it, for whatever that may be worth -- maybe not much. This person said it was good with solid performances but a little bloated. It's probably not going to completely blow everybody away. Not sure there are that many of those movies out there -- even movies that are now considered "great" with a capital G. Those usually tend to have been a little divisive when they first came out. Like a number of Kubrick's films for instance. Just saying.

Ah nuts, I want some new stuff. Warner Bros sure is keeping this under wraps.

josephcoloraci wrote:That's from the Russian journalist. I saw something posted elsewhere from someone who was at the recent SAG screening and said that half the people were really into Inception and half were sort of underwhelmed, although no one said they hated it, for whatever that may be worth -- maybe not much. This person said it was good with solid performances but a little bloated. It's probably not going to completely blow everybody away. Not sure there are that many of those movies out there -- even movies that are now considered "great" with a capital G. Those usually tend to have been a little divisive when they first came out. Like a number of Kubrick's films for instance. Just saying.
If there's enough complexity in a film to force repeat viewings for full understanding, then you can't expect everyone to be "blown away" by it the first time around. Has anyone here seen Tarkovsky's "Stalker"? My college professor made us watch it. I've only seen it one time and it was very confusing.

redfirebird2008 wrote: If there's enough complexity in a film to force repeat viewings for full understanding, then you can't expect everyone to be "blown away" by it the first time around. Has anyone here seen Tarkovsky's "Stalker"? My college professor made us watch it. I've only seen it one time and it was very confusing.
Does that make it a good film, or a bad one then? Sure, replay value is always good, but to be honest, I want to enjoy the film the first time around. Take Memento. Very complex. But you get most of it and it still makes a great experience first time around.

See this is what Im worried about ... how complex is this film ... :think: