My Theory on the new superman......

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Chris nolan has been qouted to saying that in talks with writer David Goyer, that Goyer had a new twist on how to do the Story that sounded interesting. Combine this with the fact that Warner Bros is having problems with getting the Orgins rights to do a reboot and you have Unbreakable. Are you still with me ? Unbreakable by M.Night starring bruce Willis and Sam Jackson was an origin superman story. It broke all the molds of superhero story's and never got any recognition because it didn't have the endorsement deals, toys, etc... The theme of the movie was "what if superman existed but didn't know it". Bruce Wilis was just becoming aware of his powers in Unbreakable. This would be a perfect way to set up the reboot

First Film
-Superman exist as an ordinary person who is sad a sad man, but doesnt know why.
-He discovers his ability and starts to understand his purpose in life.

Second Film (hopefully Warner Bros will have secured the origins story)
-Superman goes back to his home planet to fully understand his past

Third Film
-should be a justice league tie in

With nolan directing, there are so many possible twist on it.

geese711 wrote:Unbreakable by M.Night starring bruce Willis and Sam Jackson was an origin superman story. It broke all the molds of superhero story's and never got any recognition because it didn't have the endorsement deals, toys, etc...
It didn't get any recognition because it didn't break any molds. Shyamalan decided to make Unbreakable nothing but an origin story, stretching that part across the entire running time and saving the actual awesome Good vs. Evil super-battle for a next film which never came. If he wasn't so obsessed with the twist ending success of The Sixth Sense he'd have moved the twist to the middle and got on with the payoff.

I am a huge M. Night fan, and Unbreakable is at the moment my No. 2 film of all times (with Fight Club as No. 1). And the way you explain what the first movie would look like, I'd say no!
Unbreakable is awesome and a very beautifull (slow, but great) movie! You want that for a Superman movie and it's not going to work. A Superman movie will attract people who want to see some action, not a slow start as Unbreakable. Besides that, your explaination is exactly Unbreakable. Nolan and Goyer should try something new, and I have faith in them that they will.

And a little offtopic, rumours of a sequal to Unbreakable are getting bigger and bigger. I expect a little bit that Shyamalan will do a sequal between the first and second part of The Last Airbender Trilogy.
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

I'm a huge fan of Singer's Superman Returns and never thought Nolan would be a good fit in the universe but I'm extremely curious to see a Superman film done like Unbreakable or in Nolan's style will turn out. Especially with Nolan's no fear of trying new things.

I don't edit my writing, I just right and I'm sorry for that because it comes out messy. The main idea for the superman reboot was that superman doesn't know he's superman until he's in his mid thirty's because he's never been tested. I wasn't trying to compare it to unbreakable, I was just trying to use that as an example of a movie to compare my idea to. Comic book movies tend to follow whatever methods make the studios money, and then we get tired of that mold and want something new. What I was asking for is a movie that wasn't advertised as as superhero movie.....just a great movie and have the sequel explain to use that the first movie was the origins of a superhero movie. We need some new ideas

i don't like the idea for a third movie.
maybe if the was a third movie it would have a link for when he went to his home planet

Eternalist wrote:
geese711 wrote:Unbreakable by M.Night starring bruce Willis and Sam Jackson was an origin superman story. It broke all the molds of superhero story's and never got any recognition because it didn't have the endorsement deals, toys, etc...
It didn't get any recognition because it didn't break any molds. Shyamalan decided to make Unbreakable nothing but an origin story, stretching that part across the entire running time and saving the actual awesome Good vs. Evil super-battle for a next film which never came. If he wasn't so obsessed with the twist ending success of The Sixth Sense he'd have moved the twist to the middle and got on with the payoff.
This is a little off-topic, but I have to strongly disagree with you. I though Unbreakable was a brilliant idea. Thus far it is the only movie I have ever seen that focuses on the man with super powers instead of just the powers. Yes other Superhero films have explored the character and personalities of the heroes, but always with the backdrop an action-packed story line.

It was a character drama about a man with super powers and it was brilliant. It's my favorite Shaymalan. I also never thought that sequel was necessary or planned. I feel like the story stands on its own.

That being said to get back on topic. I don't think that style of story would work for Superman because Warner Brothers needs blockbusters and that just wouldn't do it. I have faith in whatever they decide to do, especially if Nolan has a say.

A sequel was always planned, Shyamalan has often spoken about it, but not enough people went to see the first to bring it about as originally planned.

The character-focus and all that jazz is great, I never said it wasn't, it's the narrative that's unsatisfying.

Eternalist wrote:A sequel was always planned, Shyamalan has often spoken about it, but not enough people went to see the first to bring it about as originally planned.

The character-focus and all that jazz is great, I never said it wasn't, it's the narrative that's unsatisfying.
I watched an interview with him on the special features and he remarked how he wanted to explore the first act of the Superhero story. He never mentioned sequels. And after Willis remarked that he was hoping for a trilogy, Shyamalan had this to say,

"Whether there ever is another one is not really on my mind.¿ I don't have a story, I'm not thinking about it, and if I ever made one, it would be for the right reasons. Not for money, not to cash in, and certainly not because my next two films flopped or anything like that.¿Unbreakable is about 'Am I what people say I am? Am I something exceptional or a very ordinary person?'¿ There's a lot of me in the story, and if I find an emotional reason why these two characters could come alive again, I'll do it."

http://movies.ign.com/articles/036/036655p1.html

He has since brought the idea of possible sequels, but he didn't have it planned. I never felt that the film needed sequels I thought it wrapped the story up quite nicely.

I can understand you not liking the narrative because that was the risk he was taking with the film. I very much respect this film though for its ability to turn one part of the normal plot structure into a full length film.

According to both Shyamalan and Jackson, "Unbreakable" was originally intended to be a trilogy, but a series of bad reviews as well as fan and film critic misconception of Shyamalan's work quickly tabled the idea of a possible franchise.
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/09/18/sa ... -might-be/