Motion Capture Animated Film

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
What if Nolan did a motion capture film like Spielberg is doing? I wouldn't want it to be something all the time, but I think he has ideas that would fit perfectly in this genre. He could open up the genre to adults. Pretty much all animated movies are for kids, but he could probably change the game. What do you think?

Mwolvesto50 wrote:What if Nolan did a motion capture film like Spielberg is doing? I wouldn't want it to be something all the time, but I think he has ideas that would fit perfectly in this genre. He could open up the genre to adults. Pretty much all animated movies are for kids, but he could probably change the game. What do you think?
Hello and welcome! :)

What sort of films are you talking about? I mean, if you're talking of the technology used for "Avatar", especially in the second part of the movie, I'm sure that Christopher Nolan could do something extraordinary. But if you're talking of "Tintin"....well, I don't think that the technology is at the top...It's frightening, not real, very strange to me...I know all the "Tintin" comics and I don't recognize the characters in the movie...I mean...their shape is different and...unreal. I don't know....It's not convincing and I see no real progress since "The Pôle express". :(

First welcome Mwolvesto50! :goNF:

IMO: Well... I don't think Chris is made for that kind of films... hmm it would be good for sure but I don't think he'd be comfortable with those... technologies...To be honest, I'm not either. Avatar was good, it started a new genre, but this craze for motion capture... Soon it's gonna get pointless, again IMO of course.

To be honest, I like Nolan staying outside the mainstream... It fits him well. 8-)

Flying Rodent wrote:First welcome Mwolvesto50! :goNF:

IMO: Well... I don't think Chris is made for that kind of films... hmm it would be good for sure but I don't think he'd be comfortable with those... technologies...To be honest, I'm not either. Avatar was good, it started a new genre, but this craze for motion capture... Soon it's gonna get pointless, again IMO of course.

To be honest, I like Nolan staying outside the mainstream... It fits him well. 8-)
But Nolan sees himself as a mainstream director, according to some of his interviews...I'm sure he could use motion capture in a big sci-fi movie with wonderful planets and strange E.Ts... ;)

Nolan is first and foremost a naturalistic director, and that just can't be accomplished with an animated film. He loves practical effects far too much, too.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Nolan is first and foremost a naturalistic director, and that just can't be accomplished with an animated film. He loves practical effects far too much, too.

-Vader
+1

Vader182 wrote:Nolan is first and foremost a naturalistic director, and that just can't be accomplished with an animated film. He loves practical effects far too much, too.

-Vader
You've got a point!But he likes Michael Bay's films too ( that's something very strange but, in a way, I can understand...) :mrgreen:
What an interesting man...

Maybe if the main character phases between live action and the animated world, unsure of which world is his reality. :think:
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

It would never happen, and I wouldn't want it to happen. Chris is about practical effects and real film making, this wouldn't be his style at all.