Untitled Blade Runner 2049 sequel (TBA)

All non-Nolan related entertainment discussion. Join the fun!
Posts: 646
Joined: February 2015
Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
Ya we won't be getting a sequel anytime soon. Maybe in 20 or so years some great film maker who was deeply inspired by the first 2 movies will make a third as great as the others.

Posts: 8032
Joined: December 2011
1. the film isn't even out fully on home media so let's see how sales for that go before writing this off entirely
2. there is literally a thread introduced in 2049 which is not followed up at all which, to me, screamed SEQUEL

Posts: 15250
Joined: June 2012
Location: L.A. 2049
And don't forget awards season.

Posts: 51273
Joined: May 2010
Location: Miðgarðr
Nolan 2049

Believe.

But it's literally the same situation as MM:FR, will never catch that same lightning again, those two movies are insane and shouldn't exist within nowaday's mindset and yet they do, and I'm grateful.

Posts: 1692
Joined: January 2015
Location: Poland
antovolk wrote:1. the film isn't even out fully on home media so let's see how sales for that go before writing this off entirely
2. there is literally a thread introduced in 2049 which is not followed up at all which, to me, screamed SEQUEL
The movie bombed at the cinemas... HARD. That's all the producers care about. Nobody cares about home media, nobody cares about awards for blockbuster movies. When you're making a 200 million investment all you want is your money back. If you don't get that you couldn't give less of a fuck about anything else. How bout you lose 100 million and tell me then you want to do it again? :P

Was the movie good? Sure it was. But that doesn't matter when it comes to getting a sequel if it bombed. And it did, Case closed.

...
maybe an anime on netflix or some shit like that.

Posts: 2229
Joined: August 2009
Location: Fortress of Solitude
m4st4 wrote:Nolan 2049

Believe.

But it's literally the same situation as MM:FR, will never catch that same lightning again, those two movies are insane and shouldn't exist within nowaday's mindset and yet they do, and I'm grateful.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is MM:FR?

Posts: 15250
Joined: June 2012
Location: L.A. 2049
Image

Posts: 51273
Joined: May 2010
Location: Miðgarðr
I want to be Miller's little bitch after seeing that gif.

Lelek, the movie bombed only in US, that's a fact. It did MORE THAN solid numbers in the rest of the world and I'm sure DVD/blu-ray will help some too. That being said, it wasn't enough obviously, it should've done better. Still did better than the original, I think. But that's understandable.

Posts: 2229
Joined: August 2009
Location: Fortress of Solitude
Of course! Thanks! Mad Max is definitely on another level.

Posts: 8032
Joined: December 2011
m4st4 wrote:I want to be Miller's little bitch after seeing that gif.

Lelek, the movie bombed only in US, that's a fact. It did MORE THAN solid numbers in the rest of the world and I'm sure DVD/blu-ray will help some too. That being said, it wasn't enough obviously, it should've done better. Still did better than the original, I think. But that's understandable.
The way the financial situation stands at this point - Warners are fine as they haven't put anything in, Sony are fine (they put 110m in and made it all back, the deal they've made with Alcon for co-financing meant that they're getting back the revenue first in exchange for bigger slide of back-end to Alcon), it's Alcon that are currently suffering and ultimately it's down to uhem to decide whether to finance a sequel or not.

Sure, awards don't matter at all at this point but home release does. I'm sure it'll perform *very* well on disc and recoup things for Alcon that way. Once that happens, it's down to them

Post Reply