A return for Nolan & Bale to Gotham in the future, DKR style

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Not saying that Nolan should do an adaptation of DKR, but I think it would be cool if Nolan and Bale return to Gotham 1-2 decades down the road for a 4th Batman film, one that could work as its own stand alone film as well as a direct sequel to his other 3 Batman films.

It'll be interesting to see how our society changes by that time, and Nolan could show how Bale's aged Bruce Wayne reacts to this change in society, our hopes and fears, etc., how does someone like Bruce Wayne deal in that environment? How does Batman function in this world? What has become of the crime in Gotham? I think it could be very interesting to see, but I'd only want one film, not a trilogy.

You know, I think Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen) expressed interesting in adapting The Dark Knight Returns after Nolan finishes up his trilogy. And thats something I actually wouldn't mind (I'm not a Snyder hater): wait at least 5 years till after Batman 3, have Snyder come in and do a standalone Batman film, highly stylized and such, then when WB wants another original take on the franchise, there will be enough distance between itself and Nolan's trilogy (that is, unless WB develops a shared universe through their films).

Syncopy54 wrote:You know, I think Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen) expressed interesting in adapting The Dark Knight Returns after Nolan finishes up his trilogy. And thats something I actually wouldn't mind (I'm not a Snyder hater): wait at least 5 years till after Batman 3, have Snyder come in and do a standalone Batman film, highly stylized and such, then when WB wants another original take on the franchise, there will be enough distance between itself and Nolan's trilogy (that is, unless WB develops a shared universe through their films).
I would kill Snyder before he can touch the franchise, that talentless peace of crap almost destroyed The Watchmen, can't happen again.

I thought Watchmen was done very well. It was almost exactly like the graphic novel, and his take on the style, music, everything was really interesting and appealing.

I thought Watchmen was done very well. It was almost exactly like the graphic novel, and his take on the style, music, everything was really interesting and appealing.

As for the Dark Knight Returns Idea, I think he should go for it. Even right after Nolan's third film. Now Nolan has brought Batman back from the terrible Tim Burton films, and even worse Schumacher takes, but who's to say Snyder can't have a chance? Besides I'm fine with more batman films as long as none of them conflict, continue or ruin the Nolan ones.

Let's face it - Alan Moore comics are unfilmable. And yet, i thought that Snyder did a pretty good job of adapting it. The only thing i didn't like was the slo-mo action sequences, which i thought was anachronistic to the rest of the movie, since it was supposed to be a gritty realistic take on superheroes. Everything else was as good as could possibly be done, i guess. Loved the opening credits sequence. And the extras were great! :-)
I'd love to watch Snyder direct The Dark Knight Returns. But he should probably wait for a few years after Batman 3 atleast. Clint Eastwood would make a kickass Batman. ;-)

Let's simply wait 10+ years till Bale is Bruce Wayne's age in the DKR graphic novel!

As it is THE BEST Batman novel ever - a masterpiece, a cult classic, the choice of the director should be made very, very carefully!
In fact Nolan is definately capable to manage the story! The problem is that Superman is part of it and that' is contradictory to Nolan's opinion of strictly separated universes with the Batman's as a realistic one without superpowers, magic or whatever.

The upcoming Superman project might change his mind and 10 years along the road is very much time!
If Nolan does it I would like HIS take on it similar to his previous films in which he used the comics just as foundation and not let's say frame by frame. (Reference Scenes from Year One were perfect though!)

In case Nolan would not be interested (dont ask him in the next 5 years!) I would like the novel to be adapted! And the director should qualify compared to Peter Jackson with Lord of the Rings:
- should already have shown his potential (PJ's independent masterpiece "Heavenly Creatures"!!!)
- should be a heartfelt admirer/fan of the graphic novel (like PJ does with LotR which was his life/dream project!)

The_Emo_Digitator wrote:Not saying that Nolan should do an adaptation of DKR, but I think it would be cool if Nolan and Bale return to Gotham 1-2 decades down the road for a 4th Batman film, one that could work as its own stand alone film as well as a direct sequel to his other 3 Batman films.

It'll be interesting to see how our society changes by that time, and Nolan could show how Bale's aged Bruce Wayne reacts to this change in society, our hopes and fears, etc., how does someone like Bruce Wayne deal in that environment? How does Batman function in this world? What has become of the crime in Gotham? I think it could be very interesting to see, but I'd only want one film, not a trilogy.
It would be very interesting! I'm against a frame-by-frame adaption though, some dialogues would be too long to translate along with the action onto the screen.
Of course, it all still depends largely on how alive (or dead) Bruce Wayne is after The Dark Knight Rises. And with Nolan, one can never say for sure so keep your fingers crossed.