Nolan's Next Film

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
WE.

NEED.

AN ANNOUNCEMENT.

If there's no annoucement by the end of the year, I would be surprised. But that still leaves us with 4 more months.

how much was the gap between the release of Interstellar and the announcement of Dunkirk ?

Ace
April 2015 he revealed he had started working on a script.
The blockbuster auteur Christopher Nolan has revealed how he staves off writer’s block when working on a new project.

“I do a lot of walking,” said the Interstellar director, revealing he had recently started work on an as-yet-untitled new project.
Warner Bros announced a release date first on September 2015 , but we had no idea what the film was until the end of December 2015 when it was officially announced.

Well, too many comments about the next film, but since the lack of information is that big, what about the films he can do in 15 years?

I think he is going to make big budget films as long as he feels young, but I think he will return to make films like Memento or The Prestige. I think this last stage can be very interesting. Nolan has a tremendous domain of cinema's tools, from the pages to the screen, and he has been improving until Dunkirk*, and there's no hint to think he cannot still improving, so in that type of films, where the director has all the space to shine, we can have some good films, better than Memento.

*For me, Interstellar and Dunkirk are his best films, and I see in these films some touches of an all time great director.

I think Nolan is considering carefully his next step. Dunkirk was something different in which he explored a new genre and introduced it in his way, no filmmaker would have approached Dunkirk in the same way Nolan did.

I believe he wants his next film to be a 100% Oscar winning contender, he needs to win the Oscars. So maybe he is studying now how to make a film that has the Nolan's DNA and also can impress the Academy members.

For me i don't care i he wins the Oscars or not, He is one of the greatest filmmakers of all time and it would be an honor for the academy that Nolan won its award. But lets be honest, it's every filmmaker's dream to be an Oscar winner.

So, lets give him his time. I'm sure his next project will be something totally different than anything we've ever seen, and i think by November to February we would hear something about his new project.

Willem wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 10:19 am
Nolan isn’t doing a video game adaption.

In fact, we don’t have a clue whatsoever of what his next film will be
I respectfully disagree. Video Game adaptations are an avenue of movies that have never had a marquee, high quality adaptation that’s beloved by fans and critics alike. Its a MAJOR challenge to get right and one i think he would take on in the right circumstances. Inception already feels like a high end VG adaptation for a game that doesnt exist.

If Nolan doesnt do an original story, and wants to do a major league Billion plus blockbuster, IMHO he should partner with Nintendo to adapt either:
The Legend of Zelda or Metroid Prime. A successful Nolan directed Zelda film could make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The worldwide B.O could be Avengers/Avatar level numbers. Plus its a fantasy family genre he has never really done before. Something little kids to adults could go see. Fellowship of the ring im sure would he a touchstone. It heavily involves shifting timelines(hello!), and a lot of the first person adventuring that doesnt need a lot of dialogue, something he shows he can do really well in Dunkirk.

Just imagine a teaser opening up:
from Christipher Nolan,
director of Dunkirk, Interstellar, Inception, and The Dark Knight Trilogy,
A Warner Brothers Picture
in association with Syncopy Pictures
and Nintendo Entertainment:
The Legend of Zelda

The internet would then proceed to spontaneously combust. It would be a monumental task that i think he would relish taking on. Nintendo isnt gonna give out this franchise to just anybody. Plus i think they would welcome his aesthetic and attention to detail, and his philosophy of only doing a movie at a time, which is how they make their games. An original story is always welcome but I think if he wants to make crazy money an IP like Zelda would be the trailblazing way to go IMHO.

I also think a Nolan version of Bram Stoker’s Dracula could be really cool, because that's a story that is written as an epistolary: journals and diaries and newspaper clippings that recount these supernatural events. A fact based approach to this evil that skirts the line between whats real and not would be frighteningly good. Think Prestige but in Romania!! Unlikely but i think a cool idea.

Im also a Syd Barrett fan. An IMAX musical biopic of Barrett/Pink Floyd with all their music in the soundtrack would be super cool. Like a nolanized version of Love & Mercy. Timothee Chalamet and Casey Affleck could reunite to play Syd.

William Blake wrote:
August 24th, 2018, 12:25 am

I respectfully disagree. Video Game adaptations are an avenue of movies that have never had a marquee, high quality adaptation that’s beloved by fans and critics alike. Its a MAJOR challenge to get right and one i think he would take on in the right circumstances. Inception already feels like a high end VG adaptation for a game that doesnt exist.

If Nolan doesnt do an original story, and wants to do a major league Billion plus blockbuster, IMHO he should partner with Nintendo to adapt either:
The Legend of Zelda or Metroid Prime. A successful Nolan directed Zelda film could make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The worldwide B.O could be Avengers/Avatar level numbers. Plus its a fantasy family genre he has never really done before. Something little kids to adults could go see. Fellowship of the ring im sure would he a touchstone. It heavily involves shifting timelines(hello!), and a lot of the first person adventuring that doesnt need a lot of dialogue, something he shows he can do really well in Dunkirk.

I really don't think Nolan wants to get an Oscar that badly. I think they just went all out with Dunkirk's campaign because they actually had a chance this time.

That being said, let's hope he's actually got another film planned because it's going to be an even longer wait now for Bond 26.

Considering Nolan hasn't made a decent film in about 20 years, I'm hoping he returns to his roots