Nolan's Next Film

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Huh. Very interesting. That would definitely be something big, and the scale of it in terms of production/set design, costumes, and props would be pretty large since he'd strive for historical accuracy. It's obviously not an "action thriller", but the size and scope of the undertaking is definitely apparent. I'm picturing the work that went into The Prestige with twice the budget.

According to IMDB Carrey has a wide open schedule after the Sonic the hedgehog movie, and I’m sure he’d be dying to do something like this right now at this stage of his career.

Given his age though I wonder if that constrains the time period the film can cover. And tonally I wonder how this will differ from The Aviator, Scorsese did a solid job on it. I hope it comes together eventually for both CN and JC. I also wonder given the time that’s passed how the script has evolved. Must be super ripe and air tight. Dozens and dozens of drafts most likely!

However I feel like the next movie will still end up being a blockbuster of some stripe. Either way I’m gonna be there day 1 to watch it whatever it ends up being.

Angus wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 2:52 pm
I say "made-for-TV" because that's honestly what Netflix and Amazon are. They have no place being in the Oscars. I don't care how great Beautiful Boy or Manchester By The Sea or Beasts of No Nation are. It makes as much sense as nominating a Lifetime Original Movie for Best Picture.
I assume you haven't seen "Roma" which in terms of scope is anything but a "made-for-TV" movie.

Angus wrote:
Black Panther might get nominated for Best Picture, as will Beautiful Boy, a movie made by Amazon for Amazon Prime members on their TV's and phones.
As much as I enjoyed Beautiful Boy to some level, there's no way in hell it's getting an Oscar nomination for anything else than a supporting performance... and even that's unlikely. The film has been out of the awards race completely.

Angus wrote:
I know I might sound extreme and hyperbolic already, haha, but I don't think it's crazy to say that Nolan's next film might be the most important of his career, and it might be important for cinema in general. And that might be why it's taking so long. I can't think of any other logical reason for such a big delay. And the only other film I can think of that is sort of in this same poisition in terms of pressure and impact is Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
Again, not entirely true. The horror genre especially proves that you can still make low to mid-level budget movies and be successful. Jordan Peele's Get Out was a huge success in the US and his sophomore film will most likely do the same. In 2017 you also had films like Split, Wonder, Girls Trip, Baby Driver making a lot of money. 2018 was even bigger in that department with both A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody being huge successes. You also had A Quiet Place and Crazy Rich Asians making a but load of money.

Unfortunately, there were a couple of movies that bombed like First Man or Widows but still, if you can capture the zeitgeist in some way, there's money to be made. I really do think that Tarantino's next will be a huge success this time around. Probably the biggest movie in his career since it has everything going for it. Pitt and DiCaprio, a controversial topic, perhaps his return to form after the disappointing H8. And of course Nolan's next film will be an event as well, especially if it will be a genre film, instead of another war or period piece. These creators can still find a niche for themselves because they know what the audience likes.

Oh, I'm not doubting the quality of Roma at all. Alfonso Cauron is one of the best directors alive in my opinion. I just think it's frustrating that these top filmmakers have to resort to television and streaming because they can't get a wide release of 5,000 theaters, or even 1,000. It then causes the debate about what qualifies a film to be nominated for Best Picture. That might change very soon. Maybe anything, theatrical release or not, will qualify. It would be a strange time.

Angus wrote:
I say "made-for-TV" because that's honestly what Netflix and Amazon are. They have no place being in the Oscars. I don't care how great Beautiful Boy or Manchester By The Sea or Beasts of No Nation are. It makes as much sense as nominating a Lifetime Original Movie for Best Picture.
Amazon's fine because they at least have a theatrical window for releasing their movies before they are put on their streaming service. I think it's about 90 days or something. Netflix is the one who seems to be very resistant to putting any of their stuff in a theater unless they absolutely have to (such as the case with Roma). Otherwise it's just straight to streaming.

Law wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 12:27 am
Nolan is 100% getting ready to dish out a perfect, Oscar winning Howard Hughes film
hopefully made by netflix, too!

Highly doubt a streaming release for Nolan’s next movie. How could it not be a full fledged theatrical release via WB?

I’d be excited for the Hughes movie. But after all this waiting I’m hoping to be surprised honestly.

Nolan would never do streaming, haha.

http://www.appocalypse.co/entertainment ... es-biopic/

Honestly hope the Howard Hughes one is what he's working on. It just sounds so much promising and would be a challenge to Nolan as a filmmaker as well.

And it ought to be a guaranteed favorite at the Academy Awards.