Nolan's Next Film

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Angus wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 7:26 pm
I think, in all seriousness, it's likely to be one of these.

Hell and Gone - Script by Jonathan Nolan

Citizen Hughes - Script by Christopher Nolan

Reminiscence - Script by Lisa Joy Nolan

The Keys to the Street - Script by Christopher Nolan

These projects are already written and floating around in the ether, some for a long time, ready to be produced. I doubt they'll be collecting dust much longer.
Any of these four would be tremendously exciting.

I personally think or wish it would be an original new script written only by Chris. I've read the script for "The Keys to the Street" and it's actually quite brilliant in script and it was really gripping and it stayed with me for a couple of days after reading. It is said that he decided not to make it because it is in the same neighborhood as Insomnia and/or Memento. I don't see him going back to it. (Also, it's not big enough :D and it's an adaption)
Curiosity is killing me. Goddammit Chris, give something! :lol:

AhmadAli95 wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 8:13 pm
I personally think or wish it would be an original new script written only by Chris. I've read the script for "The Keys to the Street" and it's actually quite brilliant in script and it was really gripping and it stayed with me for a couple of days after reading. It is said that he decided not to make it because it is in the same neighborhood as Insomnia and/or Memento. I don't see him going back to it. (Also, it's not big enough :D and it's an adaption)
Curiosity is killing me. Goddammit Chris, give something! :lol:
Any idea of where I could get my hands on that script?

http://collider.com/christopher-nolan-h ... es-biopic/

Huh. He was apparently pretty serious about this not too long ago.

Something else I noticed that's interesting. Most articles regarding this project say this script was based on the book Citizen Hughes by Michael Drosnin.

But when you look at this interview with the producer, Nolan's script is based on a different book.
GRAHAM KAYE: Ah the ones that got away. The one I regret not getting made was a project that I help set up for Scott Steindorff at Castle Rock Films. It was a brilliant book by Richard Hack about Howard Hughes. I attached Jim Carrey and Christopher Nolan to write and direct and Christopher had such a great feel for how this movie should be made and I thought Jim Carrey would be amazing as Howard Hughes. But Miramax ended up making the “Aviator” to beat out Castle Rock. And the feeling I got after seeing the film was that it was done just to cross the finish line first the movie had no soul.
That book by Richard Hack is Next to Hughes. So Nolan based his screenplay on this book.

Ace
His script is based on this biography from Richard Hack. As Nolan’s film is supposed to deal with his whole life not just a particular aspect.

Interview with Nolan from 2002
DK: I am already looking forward to seeing Insomnia. I have been reading on Variety that you are going to be doing a Howard Hughes biopic with Jim Carrey.

CN: Not a biopic is what I keep saying. *laughs* I am working on a script based on the life of Howard Hughes for Jim Carrey to play Howard Hughes. I am just getting into that in writing.

DK: How much is Jim collaborating on that?

CN: Oh, quite a lot. Just in terms of my imagination of knowing who is going to play the part. It is different sitting down to write, and sitting down to write (while) already knowing who is going to play the part. We have met several times to discuss the specifics of the direction we were going in and Jim has some fantastic ideas which are close to my ideas. We are having quite a bit of fun.

DK: Why Jim to play Howard?

CN: He is just perfect. He was born to play him. *laughs* He just really is. This film has been discussed to be made for years in various forms but never has. The casting is one of the things behind that. When you have that and you hear Jim's take on the characterization and you look at his extraordinary gift for channeling individuals like in his portrayal of Andy Kaufmann, you can see that Jim Carrey is a very unique talent. What I need is an individual who can play all the unique aspects of the character of Howard Hughes.

DK: When you speak to Jim, you will have to tell him I loved him in The Majestic. What drew you to write about Howard Hughes?

CN: I will tell him. Howard Hughes is just an astounding figure. Most people know a little bit about his life but not that much which makes him an ideal subject for a film. He embodies so much of the American concern with material wealth and the effect that it may have on you. And how do you deal with extraordinary success and fame. He is an extraordinary individual from that point of view. He has the extremes in which he lived. He was on top of the world and the first real American billionaire and then he spent decades shut away in small hotels. He is just fascinating.
Last edited by Ace on January 11th, 2019, 12:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Forum Pro
Law
Nolan is 100% getting ready to dish out a perfect, Oscar winning Howard Hughes film

Ace wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 12:21 am
Actually his script is based on this biography from Richard Hack. As Nolan’s film is supposed to deal with his whole life not just a particular aspect.
Oh cool! I hadn't seen that one. Thanks for the correction.

So, my understanding was that Nolan's script deals entirely with Hughes' final years while he locked himself in a hotel room, peed in bottles, and had crazy hallucinations. It's a psychological/paranoia piece that plays with time and reality because he's having schizophrenic and obsessive compulsive episodes in the room. I have no idea where I originally read that, but apparently his episodes while in total seclusion/isolation made him question where he was and when it was, whether he was alone, whether people were talking to him or if he imagined it, etc.

That might not be the case, but I know I read that description somewhere. And I remember one highlight being that it was quite different than Scorsese's The Aviator because while that depicted Hughes' crazier times in the hotel room towards the end of the film for a short period, Nolan's film would've been solely about that, and would not have been biographical of his whole life.
Last edited by Angus on January 11th, 2019, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angus wrote:

These projects are already written and floating around in the ether, some for a long time, ready to be produced. I doubt they'll be collecting dust much longer.
I'd like to see him direct Hell and Gone

I've read the Reminiscence script and I don't think he'd direct it because even though it does have a lot of elements in it that he seems to gravitate towards and has used before (memory, time etc) I think it's premise is way too similar to Inception.

I think that if he did direct it the general feeling would be that he's repeating himself and basically copying his own ideas.

DarthNata wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 12:48 am
Angus wrote:

I'd like to see him direct Hell and Gone

I've read the Reminiscence script and I don't think he'd direct it because even though it does have a lot of elements in it that he seems to gravitate towards and has used before (memory, time etc) I think it's premise is way too similar to Inception.

I think that if he did direct it the general feeling would be that he's repeating himself and basically copying his own ideas.
I PM'd you!

Ace
When Nolan talked about it in 2017 it sounded like it’s the whole life story but I could be wrong.
Q: Yeah, Howard Hughes, the script and what attracted you to Howard?

CN: Well, I don’t know, how much you know about Howard Hughes but he’s sort of.. I mean he’s just a fascinating character, his history is fascinating and he’s, I mean, let me put it this way, a lot of what, I put into my Howard Hughes script, that I do hope to make one day so I don’t want to say too much about it..

Q: Sure

CN: But a lot of what I found interesting about that character channelled it’s way into Bruce Wayne very easily. You know as far as the eccentric billionaire characters go. His, his history is generally pretty fascinating. Um and you know one day I hope to do it because there are films that have addressed different aspects of the extraordinary life he led but not the whole thing.
http://www.bafta.org/media-centre/trans ... n-pictures