Nolan's Next Film

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
As for an existing IP outside of 007, I think that's a real possibility.

I still keep thinking The Sandman is the way to go.
Neil Gaiman is right up Nolan's alley.

And this is a WB / DC Comics property.
It doesn't focus on superheroes, it's not bound by any sort of cinematic universe - it's completely its own thing.

Can you imagine the announcement and the hype when they say Christopher Nolan is returning to DC Comics and giving us an epic sci-fi fantasy about dreams? It's a guaranteed billion, AND it's a potential franchise with multiple films.

Not to mention, Joseph Gordon-Levitt was attached to this project at WB, and was going to star as the lead character.

- Nolan
- DC Comics
- WB
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt
- Dreams
- Neil Gaiman
- Franchise

What more is there to say? Yes, he's done Inception already, but we can agree that this would be a completely different beast.

Lmao. I'm sorry dude, but that is extremely unlikely.

Sanchez wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 5:05 pm
Lmao. I'm sorry dude, but that is extremely unlikely.
It might be unlikely to actually happen, but it's a solid way to go. There's nothing about it that isn't in his wheelhouse. This makes just as much sense (if not more) than Bond. Not sure why it's a "lmao" type of idea. Because it's a comic book movie? :oops:

I've noticed in general that some people kind of think Nolan is too "above" comic books now. The man made three Batman films, wrote a Superman film, was going to adapt a comic book called The Exec, which ended up being an inspiration for Inception (which was a sci-fi action movie about dreams), made a movie about astronauts that takes place in the future, directed a documentary short about two directors who use dolls and motion capture... It's like... Nolan isn't Michael Bay, he's one of the most amazing directors ever... but he's also not Terrence Malick or Kurosawa or Fellini. Comic books and fantasy aren't beneath him.

Angus wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 3:11 pm
I don't think Bond really makes sense at this point. Like, ever. And I personally wouldn't be interested in it. I'm sure it would be a great movie, as all of Nolan's films are.

But he's already done his mission/espionage/spy movie with Inception.
He practically used Lucius Fox as Bruce Wayne's "Q" in The Dark Knight Trilogy.

It feels like Nolan would just be taking elements of movies he's already made and mushing them together into a 007 film. It just seems too obvious and on-the-nose. Nolan's not a predictable guy.

Having said that, would I see a Nolan 007 movie? Hell yeah. I would just be kind of bummed if this was the next project, after all this waiting.

I definitely want something that's more of a mind-bender / high-concept / thinking-man's film.
I want more Memento, Prestige, Inception, Interstellar, and less Following, Insomnia, Dunkirk, Batman.

And to be clear - I don't dislike those latter ones, but Nolan's at his best when he's blowing your mind and giving you a script/concept you've never seen before.
I want more experimental narratives, and I'm sure it will be the case with his new movie, and in a past interview he pointed out the importance of doing something original today so he will continue to make great original movies as far as possible.
And he's totally done with the super heroes genre, it's a sure thing, Christian Bale reminded it recently.

Original films I'd love to see from Nolan
-Something set during the Golden Age of Piracy
-Post-Apocalypse
-Southern Gothic
-Western
-Goddamn pirates

Honestly i’d Be shocked if he did anything other than an original blockbuster. I think he recognizes the state of the industry and the position he’s in and will swim in this arena as long as he can. At least that’s the impression I get from him

Frankthetank wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 11:31 pm
Honestly i’d Be shocked if he did anything other than an original blockbuster. I think he recognizes the state of the industry and the position he’s in and will swim in this arena as long as he can. At least that’s the impression I get from him
Let's certainly hope so, there is so precious little of that in cinema at the moment.

Angus wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 3:11 pm
I don't think Bond really makes sense at this point. Like, ever. And I personally wouldn't be interested in it. I'm sure it would be a great movie, as all of Nolan's films are.

But he's already done his mission/espionage/spy movie with Inception.
He practically used Lucius Fox as Bruce Wayne's "Q" in The Dark Knight Trilogy.

It feels like Nolan would just be taking elements of movies he's already made and mushing them together into a 007 film. It just seems too obvious and on-the-nose. Nolan's not a predictable guy.

Having said that, would I see a Nolan 007 movie? Hell yeah. I would just be kind of bummed if this was the next project, after all this waiting.

I definitely want something that's more of a mind-bender / high-concept / thinking-man's film.
I want more Memento, Prestige, Inception, Interstellar, and less Following, Insomnia, Dunkirk, Batman.

And to be clear - I don't dislike those latter ones, but Nolan's at his best when he's blowing your mind and giving you a script/concept you've never seen before.
Yeah, have same thoughts.

I just want one thing from Nolan right now. Horror, my friends...