Nolan's Next Film

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
I don't know if he'd actually do it, but I'd love to see Nolan adapt the stage play "Noises Off" for a couple reasons:

1. Nolan has done "films about filmmaking" before with Inception and The Prestige and Noises Off already has that "play within a play" aspect as part of its story.

2. Want to see Nolan step a little out of his comfort zone but STILL have an aspect of the story (the "play within a play" aspect I alluded to in 1.) to draw his attention. I can see Nolan doing something crazy (something like in Birdman) that blurs the line between the play within a play being performed, the actual play that is backstage of the play within a play and how the audience perspective can be messed with based on that. The play itself also lends itself to the tryptich structure of Dunkirk as each act of the play is the same events told from different perspectives.

3. It's a decidedly British story, after Dunkirk, we know how much pride Nolan takes in being a Brit.

I have a strong feeling that the next film is Hell and Gone.
He always tries to make his films have very stark contrasting themes from one another, sometimes right after the previous film.

The Prestige takes place in the past
Interstellar takes place in the future
Dunkirk takes place in the past

Inception takes place in the mind -- Internal
Interstellar takes place off the planet -- External

The Dark Knight opens with the Bat Symbol coming out of fire
The Dark Knight Rises opens with the Bat Symbol coming out of ice

The Dark Knight Rises has a beginning theme of "The Fire Rises" - "Have we started the fire?"
The Dark Knights Rises' third act and climax takes place in snow / in the cold / on ice

I think the "pattern" will follow suit with:

Dunkirk takes place in the past
Hell and Gone takes place in the past
Dunkirk largely involves water
Hell and Gone largely involves fire
Dunkirk has mostly a blue toned pallet (cold)
Hell and Gone would have mostly a red toned pallet (warm)
Dunkirk depicts one historical event over a quick period of time
Hell and Gone depicts one historical event over a quick period of time

:thumbup:

I think Murphy ^ has it down

I still want the Howard Hughes film.

Jonathan Nolan commented on it recently:
It remains one of the very greatest scripts I've ever read. It's astonishing. I think he's on the record as saying he just took too long writing it, but however long it took, you had Scorsese's DiCaprio project ("The Aviator") in there, and as is often the case in Hollywood, sometimes you get to make 'em and sometimes you don't. I hope at some point he goes back and makes that, because that was an incredible script.
It was also obvious he still wants to make it from that Happy Sad Confused podcast interview.

Plus Jim Carrey needs a comeback.

GamingFreak wrote:
For those who want more of Nolan’s layered and thought-provoking work, however, he does offer some reassurance. “I will be coming back to dialogue.”
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... pt-1026790
He may already know what he's doing next... :o

I bet that WB called day after opening weekend asking when we are going to make next one :D

I want it now! Whatever it is :D

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
Warner Brothers does have an event film scheduled for August 2nd 2019. This could easily end up being Nolan's next film.

Mantis Toboggan wrote:Warner Brothers does have an event film scheduled for August 2nd 2019. This could easily end up being Nolan's next film.

Bacon wrote:
Mantis Toboggan wrote:Warner Brothers does have an event film scheduled for August 2nd 2019. This could easily end up being Nolan's next film.
My feelings right now