The Exec

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Well as we have no real idea what Inception is about, he could still turn to it in the future.

Hey guys,

1st post here.

I found on the net the spec script deal for 'The Exec'.

The Exec

Type of Material:
Comic Book

Genre:
Drama / Futuristic

Writer:
Nolan, Jonathan

Author:
Miers, Doug

Buyer:
Warner Bros. Heyday Films Weed Road Pictures

Producer:
Heyman, David Thomas, Emma Goldsman, Akiva

Date Logged:
10-02-2003

Logline:
Slightly futuristic look at a society where corporations govern and business is waged like warfare.

Additional Information:
Cult comicbook from Doug Miers. Christopher Nolan will direct. His brother Jonathan will write the screenplay.

Link: http://www.hollywoodlitsales.com/cf/spe ... /daily.cfm

Take care.

Elements of Dougs works , In my opinion , were present in TDK and will likley follow in up comming works .

I consider my self to have been one of Dougs friends, not close in the comix business, but friends no less since the Stanford days.

I for one was very disappointed to see "The Prestige" selected over "the Exec", & then to see the WingedRodentMan series take such a dark turn, not that the original comic version wasnt dark, but certainly something infulenced the TDK to become something of substance, much more than the earlier disappointing big screen renditions.

This is not Inception as people have been theorising. Inception is a different idea altogether, although it may have some similarities they are both different projects. Inception is more of a contemporary film, while The Exec is a futuristic action project. Inception has been an idea of Nolan's since he was 16 and the script has been in development for a very long time now. I'd love to see him tackle this after Batman 3, but to follow it up with another big budget movie doesn't seem like Nolan's style. I think he'll focus on a smaller project, maybe that Howard Hughes biopic?

In terms of style, I think it would be much more different to what Nolan has done before.

plsexec wrote:Elements of Dougs works , In my opinion , were present in TDK and will likley follow in up comming works .

I consider my self to have been one of Dougs friends, not close in the comix business, but friends no less since the Stanford days.

I for one was very disappointed to see "The Prestige" selected over "the Exec", & then to see the WingedRodentMan series take such a dark turn, not that the original comic version wasnt dark, but certainly something infulenced the TDK to become something of substance, much more than the earlier disappointing big screen renditions.
Uh, modern Batman comics (such as the stuff by Frank Miller) is arguably darker than TDK. Hell, a lot of it is rated R material while TDK is PG-13. Not sure why anyone would think TDK is darker than the comics unless you simply haven't read the comics. ;)

so i take it since Nolan has also dropped The Prisoner that this is probably gone as well. From the synopsis, it did appear to have a FEW similarities to Inception (sci-fi, corporations, etc.) enought at least to potential derail it from Nolan's list.

this is what i could find online (when it was alleged to be shot after The Prestige):

http://www.christophernolan.net/exec.php
Welcome to the world of The Exec #1, where business gets done with a smile, a handshake, and an AK-47! And this ain't even the post office!

In this offbeat, irreverent tale, corporations have achieved the status of nations, and if you're not tops in the boardroom, you'll find yourself laid out on the coroner's slab. In Comics Conspiracy's The Exec, your income and assets are the only things keeping you alive -- unless you remembered to pack your butcher knife or grenade launcher with your brown bag lunch.

Jack Pierce finds himself smack dab in the middle of this tongue-in-cheek look at the world of big business, but will this job give new meaning to being terminated?

Welcome to the world of The Exec. When corporations achieve sovereignty, the term ‘Corporate Warfare’ takes on a whole new meaning. Executives are above the law and business decisions are accompanied by the sound of gunfire and explosions. Jack Pierce is a hotshot executive/executioner in a society where income level literally determines whether one is regarded as predator or prey.

I have a feeling he'll return to it someday much like the Howard Hughes bio but not for sometime. He said he loves the script.

looks like a piece of shit comic, he won't do it.

I thought I'd revive this topic upon some new doses of news. Nolan's said in a few interviews, notably his large interview prior to the shooting script, that he planned two separate films: one on dreams, and one on corporate espionage, do you guys think elements of the former were The Exec? That was kind of what jumped out at me when I read the synopsis about 15 minutes ago. Thoughts?

OVERMAN wrote:looks like a piece of shit comic, he won't do it.
Never judge a book by it's cover ;)

btw I have read it and it's great.
Vader182 wrote:I thought I'd revive this topic upon some new doses of news. Nolan's said in a few interviews, notably his large interview prior to the shooting script, that he planned two separate films: one on dreams, and one on corporate espionage, do you guys think elements of the former were The Exec? That was kind of what jumped out at me when I read the synopsis about 15 minutes ago. Thoughts?
It could be as WB bought the rights for it. The biggest problem with adapting The Exec is that the story/plot would make it a very violant film (15 in the UK perhaps but the "death to a film" NC-17 in America) and could cost quite a bit depending what Nolan is going to do with the material.
I can see Nolan taking the concept and just doing his own thing similar with what he did with The Prestige.
I think in terms of tone and style it would be similar to Inception so I would rather him do something else after The Dark Knight Rises like the western idea or Mr.Hughes which he once described as the best thing he had ever written, and thats coming from the guy who wrote Memento!!!!