The Definitive Take on Superman

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
I posted this on IMDB a while ago. My thread is actually a little misleading. Some may say nothing can truly be called definitive without being a necessity for I feel Nolan has the opportunity to oversee something special.

I was walking with my 61-year-old dad discussing numerous things. We came to modern cinema and as film-fanatics we approached and dissected the nature of "the reboot". Having the ability to take a well-known story back to its roots while delving deeper into the leading character's psyche is a privilege in today's society. The Man of Steel has the most fascinating opportunity if done properly. Superman films rely on gripping imagination, spectacle, believability, and a sense of hope and security. The reason Superman has always been so widely respected for decades is the idea that there is something bigger than us on earth protecting human souls from their own hand and what is beyond us. A definitive Superman movie requires the backbone premise being "what is it truly like being an alien lost in a lost world". Focus the film purely on Superman giving the legendary character serious depth. I want to feel for this creature. Take away some of the charismatically macho man and humanistic aspects and replace them with more unfamiliar complex traits and emotions that give a sense that this is truly a distinctively different character rather than an iconic symbol. Superman is always trying to make the world a better place. Have him question it; craft the essence of what makes this character so special and define his purpose. If you build upon this, I truly think you might break the mold of the transcending superhero genre.

Would that be "definitive"?

What do you think?

Well, I think the first two Donner Superman movies are fairly definitive, at least for me, but I could see how a new series could become the new definitive on-screen portrayal. For instance, many people used to hold Burton's Batman movies as definitive, but Nolan's movies largely changed that perception.

But, I agree that they need to showcase a different portrayal, Superman Returns tried to hard to emulate the former movies and it didn't work. They need to have a different portrayal of Superman that doesn't simply mimic Reeves' portrayal (because Christopher Reeves' IS Superman). Your suggestions could fit into what Nolan described as "Superman in a modern context".

The only problem Iv always had with superman is that i cannot relate to the SUPER-human-power he has, its just too overpowered to me, its doesn't feel human, and therefore I can't relate to it. I think thats gonna be the one big struggle. Making something which isn't human, into something which humans can relate to.

Jonas Agersø wrote:The only problem Iv always had with superman is that i cannot relate to the SUPER-human-power he has, its just too overpowered to me, its doesn't feel human, and therefore I can't relate to it. I think thats gonna be the one big struggle. Making something which isn't human, into something which humans can relate to.
I think the lack of “humanity” only comes about as a result of poor writing, directing and acting. Many generations of children grew up wanting to be like Superman, tying their blankets into capes, so people can clearly relate to him on even a very simplistic level.

That is why super-human powers should take a back seat to analyzing the legendary character.

Eternalist wrote:
Jonas Agersø wrote:The only problem Iv always had with superman is that i cannot relate to the SUPER-human-power he has, its just too overpowered to me, its doesn't feel human, and therefore I can't relate to it. I think thats gonna be the one big struggle. Making something which isn't human, into something which humans can relate to.
I think the lack of “humanity” only comes about as a result of poor writing, directing and acting. Many generations of children grew up wanting to be like Superman, tying their blankets into capes, so people can clearly relate to him on even a very simplistic level.
True, I didn't grew up with superman though, but i grew up with Batman, and Iv always been facinated by that character. He also needed some good writing, and Chris did that to perfection.

The Superman franchise is screeching for audaciously immense ambition.

ObscureClandestine wrote:The Superman franchise is screeching for audaciously immense ambition.
Agreed.