Who ought to be Nolan's next cinematographer?

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Celestin

Elswit=IMAX&PTA
Brave New World

ryan4butler wrote:Elswit=IMAX&PTA
Overrated.

ComptonTerry wrote:
ryan4butler wrote:Elswit=IMAX&PTA
Overrated.
Oh come on, Elswit is fantastic.
Do you... like pineapple?

jibran wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:
Overrated.
I cant see Nolan working with anyone else. HE has IMAX experience and has worked on really big projects.
Brave New World

ryan4butler wrote:
jibran wrote:
I cant see Nolan working with anyone else. HE has IMAX experience and has worked on really big projects.
You know it never occurred to me that Elswit and Nolan should work together. Actually, I don't think they'd be particularly special together, at least not in the Nolan and Pfister way.
I'd really like to say Nolan and Lubezki would be great if they worked on small and intimate dramas.
Deakins and Nolan would be great, besides Nolan's going to have to go digital sooner or later.
Personally, I think Nolan and Cronenweth be really cool to see. Again great digital work.

Or maybe he'll pick someone relatively unknown.
Do you... like pineapple?

jibran wrote:
ryan4butler wrote: I cant see Nolan working with anyone else. HE has IMAX experience and has worked on really big projects.
You know it never occurred to me that Elswit and Nolan should work together. Actually, I don't think they'd be particularly special together, at least not in the Nolan and Pfister way.
I'd really like to say Nolan and Lubezki would be great if they worked on small and intimate dramas.
Deakins and Nolan would be great, besides Nolan's going to have to go digital sooner or later.
Personally, I think Nolan and Cronenweth be really cool to see. Again great digital work.

I think he'll go un-known. Wally was such a friend and partner to Nolan that you cant just try to replace him with other Oscar WInning or Nominated DP's. I do like Cronenweth vert much and Deakins too. Like PTA hiring an un-known for The Master. It may work out in the long run and he may form another relationship with this person. Im just depressed that Wally and Chris departed from one another. :(
Brave New World

ryan4butler wrote:
jibran wrote:

I think he'll go un-known. Wally was such a friend and partner to Nolan that you cant just try to replace him with other Oscar WInning or Nominated DP's. I do like Cronenweth vert much and Deakins too. Like PTA hiring an un-known for The Master. It may work out in the long run and he may form another relationship with this person. Im just depressed that Wally and Chris departed from one another. :(
I think Nolan has had too much success to possess the same freedom as PTA. There's too much money involved in Nolan films for him to be able to hinge one of the most important aspects of his work on an unknown. There's no surprise that PTA was able to get a rookie, because his career was almost over before Megan Ellison decided to throw cash at him.

banepants wrote:
ryan4butler wrote: I think he'll go un-known. Wally was such a friend and partner to Nolan that you cant just try to replace him with other Oscar WInning or Nominated DP's. I do like Cronenweth vert much and Deakins too. Like PTA hiring an un-known for The Master. It may work out in the long run and he may form another relationship with this person. Im just depressed that Wally and Chris departed from one another. :(
I think Nolan has had too much success to possess the same freedom as PTA. There's too much money involved in Nolan films for him to be able to hinge one of the most important aspects of his work on an unknown. There's no surprise that PTA was able to get a rookie, because his career was almost over before Megan Ellison decided to throw cash at him.
IDK, who do you think he will work with? Or what traits do you think this DP must have?
Brave New World

I don't know, ryan4butler. I'm sure he and WB will make the right decision. I love Deakins work, but the digital aspect won't fly with Nolan.