Favourite Nolan/Pfister Cinematography?

Wally Pfister and Hoyte van Hoytema
A part... #ROMANFAIL

But that's just the color grading... and isn't that an 'editing issue'. I mean the lighting is a part of the cinematography I guess, ok. But I'm not sure about the color grading.
What Roman said... the lighting and the color grade ARE what encompasses cinematography.

My favourite cinematography moments in each movie:

Memento - probably the weakest movie visually IMO, the opening scene is absolutely fantastic though.

Insomnia - opening titles with the blood, the overhead shots of the icy glaciers are particularly impressive.

Batman Begins - Can't understand why people don't think much of BB, it has some great shots. The opening shot with Bruce falling into the well is great, the scene where Bruce is surrounded by Bats is fantastic but my favourite is the scene is where Batman is perched upon a skyscraper overlooking Gotham. It just looks absolutely gorgeous with the Chicago skyline backdrop at dusk.

The Prestige - Propably Wally Pfister's best shot movie. The opening scene is great, the scenes involving the Tesla machine are fantastic. My favourite visual scene is when Tesla shows Angier his lightbulb experiment. Absolutely stunning.

The Dark Knight - All the IMAX scenes look fantastic, particularly Batman's leap off of a Hong Kong skyscraper. The ending shot is iconic but my favourite shot out of the movie and probably of any Nolan movie is Batman standing over the ruins of the blown up warehouse place where Rachel died.

Inception - The hallway fight obviously and the city bending over look fantastic. There's no one outstanding shot in this movie for me, it just looks so effortlessly brilliant and consistent.

IBelieveInBruceWayne wrote:My favourite cinematography moments in each movie:

Memento - probably the weakest movie visually IMO, the opening scene is absolutely fantastic though.

Insomnia - opening titles with the blood, the overhead shots of the icy glaciers are particularly impressive.

Batman Begins - Can't understand why people don't think much of BB, it has some great shots. The opening shot with Bruce falling into the well is great, the scene where Bruce is surrounded by Bats is fantastic but my favourite is the scene is where Batman is perched upon a skyscraper overlooking Gotham. It just looks absolutely gorgeous with the Chicago skyline backdrop at dusk.

The Prestige - Propably Wally Pfister's best shot movie. The opening scene is great, the scenes involving the Tesla machine are fantastic. My favourite visual scene is when Tesla shows Angier his lightbulb experiment. Absolutely stunning.

The Dark Knight - All the IMAX scenes look fantastic, particularly Batman's leap off of a Hong Kong skyscraper. The ending shot is iconic but my favourite shot out of the movie and probably of any Nolan movie is Batman standing over the ruins of the blown up warehouse place where Rachel died.

Inception - The hallway fight obviously and the city bending over look fantastic. There's no one outstanding shot in this movie for me, it just looks so effortlessly brilliant and consistent.
cool story bro :lol: u must have no life posting all that :lol:

Truly, there are no boring/wasted shots in any Nolan/Pfister collaboration. Every frame is interesting or grand in a way, even if it is just set in a room, or above an entire city. The 360 shots in TDK, such as the Joker's wife story (which was genius: disorienting, shaky, wild, uncontrolled, making the story ever so much more disturbing) and the Prewitt Building fight scene (every shot in that scene was dark, thrilling, epic and fresh). In The Prestige, the color palette of blue was beautiful, and the use of dark shadows or fire was brilliant. With Inception, the action scenes were filmed a little less fresh than what he usually does, but Pfister makes it grand anyway. The establishing shots in all his films are amazing, as well as some last shots: The batpod speeding away, angier's dead clone, cobb disappearing in the crowd. Basically, Nolan and Pfister are artists and treat every frame 100 percent about visuals, never putting something there just because it has to. They're fantastic. It'd be a shame should they split ways.

Plus, has anyone else noticed the identical shots in Batman Begins and TDK?:
A shot of batman gliding down the center of a flight of stairs from above? In that Arkham mansion in BB, and the Prewitt building when he flies down with two hostages? They're identical.

thefirerises97 wrote:Plus, has anyone else noticed the identical shots in Batman Begins and TDK?:
A shot of batman gliding down the center of a flight of stairs from above? In that Arkham mansion in BB, and the Prewitt building when he flies down with two hostages? They're identical.
No I havn't noticed it but well done to you :clap:

Inception/Memento/The Prestige.
Do you... like pineapple?

After some studying, I'd like to change my number on spot. The Dark Knight is now my favourite Nolan with with the greatest cinematography. Here's how I'd order;

1.) The Dark Knight
2.) Inception
3.) The Prestige
4.) Batman Begins
5.) Memento
6.) Insomnia

Clearly the best, to me. After comes The Dark Knight and Batman Begins.