Favourite Nolan/Pfister Cinematography?

Wally Pfister and Hoyte van Hoytema
Flying Rodent wrote:Image

Clearly the best, to me. After comes The Dark Knight and Batman Begins.
Definitely, definitely. That rear, swooping shot of Batman flying into the Narrows after he does the "what's beneath" speech to rachel, absolutely amazing.

The Prestige is gorgeous.

Some of my favorite shots

The Dark Knight
-Circling camera shot around Joker and Rachel
-Joker hanging upside down & the camera rotating
-The ending. Love how the camera trails the Batpod, then slowly pulls back as Batman rides off into the light. Very subtle touch

Inception
-Hallway fight
-Arthur falling into the hallway during Yusuf's kick
-Cobb walking amongst his team in the baggage claim. Not sure if this has been mentioned here before, but the order in which Cobb passes by his team members, is the order in which they dream; Yusuf (1. City), Arthur (2. Hotel), Eames (3. Fortress), Saito & Fischer both standing adjacent, facing opposite directions (4. Limbo)

Having re-watched all the films since I made this thread I'm finding it really hard to say that I do have one favourite shot from each of his films - personally, I think that's his directing style. Nolan's visuals exist to tell the story, and great visuals they are - but it's hard to choose a camera shot for it's own sake, it's about the mood it evokes based on its connection with the story itself.

My face when first watching the spinning hallway scene in Inception: :tooexcited:

Not exaggerating. I remember wondering how they did it, and I wasn't disappointed upon finding out.

The last scene in The Prestige looked marvelous with the fire burning around Hugh Jackman. Possibly my favourite Nolan Cinematography film would be Batman Begins; scenes like when Bruce finds the Batcave and the Narrows at the end looked so grainy that it fells like a wonderful cinrmatic experience.

The Prestige hands down. But I love in The Dark Knight the whole truck and after scene

The Prestige and Batman Begins.

The Dark Knight Rises.. especially in the scene where Bruce dies
"When art imitates life"

After watching The Dark Knight again, I have to say I was less than impressed with the cinematography. I'm sure some, if not all, of these issues would be resolved if the Blu-ray transfer didn't suck so much, but the white's looked constantly blown out, almost as if it was shot with a camera that has terrible latitude, the color looked unimpressive, and fine detail was rare. It was the least pleasing experience I've had since getting my new projector. Everything looked amateurish in comparison to The Prestige, Inception, and Batman Begins.