Oscar for Wally Pfister!

Wally Pfister and Hoyte van Hoytema
Wally Pfister was already nominated for 2 Oscars (one for Batman Begins and one for The Prestige), but he haven't won anything... yet! In 2009 he is nominated again for an Oscar Award for the best cinematography - obviously in The Dark Knight, and I really think that he's going to win it this time. What do you think? I think it's out of question that he deserves it, but what are the chances? His competitors are Changeling, Slumdog Millionaire, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and The Reader. Do you think he could win it? I do. His work on The Dark Knight and other Nolan-films is incredible, I love his "visual fantasy", so... I can only repeat myself: Oscar for Wally Pfister!

I think he deserves it because what he was able to do with those IMAX cameras. Brilliant work!

I definetely think he deserved it for The Dark Knight. The lighting and tone was perfect for setting the mood and atmosphere for the movie, but sadly he lost out. Slumdog Millionaire won and I personally thought the cinematography was all over the place, but that's just me.

But, wow, he's been nominated 3 times, all working with Nolan! I hope he continues to put out such excellent work.

Eternalist wrote:I definetely think he deserved it for The Dark Knight. The lighting and tone was perfect for setting the mood and atmosphere for the movie, but sadly he lost out. Slumdog Millionaire won and I personally thought the cinematography was all over the place, but that's just me.

But, wow, he's been nominated 3 times, all working with Nolan! I hope he continues to put out such excellent work.
I agree with Eternalist about SM.
I still wonder,"How in the world could they give the award to SM? TDK was the first film in film history to use IMAX cameras! And it was used perfectly!"
The Oscars piss me off. A lot.

Ironically, Pfister himself thought that Slumdog Millionaire had the best cinematography of the year. Weird :?

Eternalist wrote:Ironically, Pfister himself thought that Slumdog Millionaire had the best cinematography of the year. Weird :?
He was just being humble. On the inside he was thinking,"How dare the Academy give the award to that schmuck! I did cinematography for The dark friggin Knight and they have the balls to do that?"

Eternalist wrote:Ironically, Pfister himself thought that Slumdog Millionaire had the best cinematography of the year. Weird :?
How Slumdog won any awards is beyond me.

How Slumdog won any awards is beyond me.
Agreed. It's not that sort of movie to win truckloads of awards. It was a very mediocre movie.

Are you kidding? Slumdog was one of many movies that made 2008 an impressive year for films.

Brendan M. wrote:Are you kidding? Slumdog was one of many movies that made 2008 an impressive year for films.
May I ask why you think that?

The violence was used exploitatively, the story was poor and often was held together by some small coincidence. I can understand people enjoy the film but not really one of the best of 2008.