Favourite Nolan/Pfister Cinematography?

Wally Pfister and Hoyte van Hoytema
I thought the cinematography in TDKR was fantastic and barely beats out Inception and TDK as the best looking Nolan film. So many memorable shots in TDKR.

I think that the TDK and TDKR are the two best looking films of Nolan-Pfister, but Inception has the most complicated and unique camera work.

I really liked The Dark Knight for some reason. All of his films were great. I wonder what Interstellar would look like with Pfister.

The Dark Knight. If I were to rank the films from a cinematography point of view:

1) The Dark Knight (still my favourite looking film of the 21st century)
2) The Dark Knight Rises
3) The Prestige
4) Inception
5) Memento
6) Insomnia
7) Batman Begins
8) Following

From the Batman trilogy: TDK followed by Batman Begins and then TDKR. TDK's cinematography was flawless, beautifully lit. Batman Begins had such an atmosphere to it. More so than the other Batman films though. But I would've liked if it was less orange overall... Love the cinematography though. Especially when Bruce travels through the mountains. Those gorgeous sweeping shots of the landscape with that eargasmic music, just gorgeous.
TDKR had great cinematography too but I'd say it's less organic and more static than the other two Batman films. I think this is the language barrier since I can't quite explain what I mean with it but I hope you get it.

As for the other collaborations, I think Inception, The Prestige, Memento and Insomnia. Though the latter two could be switched. I haven't seen Insomnia in quite some time.

Overall:

TDK/Inception
Batman Begins/The Prestige
TDKR
Memento/Insomnia

Nomis wrote:From the Batman trilogy: TDK followed by Batman Begins and then TDKR. TDK's cinematography was flawless, beautifully lit. Batman Begins had such an atmosphere to it. More so than the other Batman films though. But I would've liked if it was less orange overall... Love the cinematography though. Especially when Bruce travels through the mountains. Those gorgeous sweeping shots of the landscape with that eargasmic music, just gorgeous.
TDKR had great cinematography too but I'd say it's less organic and more static than the other two Batman films. I think this is the language barrier since I can't quite explain what I mean with it but I hope you get it.
I think for me what makes both Knight and Rises to be better visually is that they're more operatic. Those establishing shots of the mountains in Begins were fantastic (and like you say, Zimmer's score is Godly). But we never really got a feel for Gotham City until the 1 hour mark. The sweeping shots of the cityscape in the sequels (and in freaking IMAX) were just breathtaking. Plus Nolan got more confident with his action scenes in the sequels. I quite liked the 'muted' palette of Rises, it made sense seen in the beginning we're introduced to a Gotham that has been sleepwalking (even though the city was in 'peacetime').

G-OldmanFan wrote:
Nomis wrote:From the Batman trilogy: TDK followed by Batman Begins and then TDKR. TDK's cinematography was flawless, beautifully lit. Batman Begins had such an atmosphere to it. More so than the other Batman films though. But I would've liked if it was less orange overall... Love the cinematography though. Especially when Bruce travels through the mountains. Those gorgeous sweeping shots of the landscape with that eargasmic music, just gorgeous.
I think for me what makes both Knight and Rises to be better visually is that they're more operatic. Those establishing shots of the mountains in Begins were fantastic (and like you say, Zimmer's score is Godly). But we never really got a feel for Gotham City until the 1 hour mark. The sweeping shots of the cityscape in the sequels (and in freaking IMAX) were just breathtaking. Plus Nolan got more confident with his action scenes in the sequels. I quite liked the 'muted' palette of Rises, it made sense seen in the beginning we're introduced to a Gotham that has been sleepwalking (even though the city was in 'peacetime').
Fair points. Though I must say Batman Begins had to start Batman while he was already settled in TDK and in TDKR we had already seen him in his prime. Besides, I wouldn't have minded it if TDKR had a stronger colour palette (if you will). It was great, no doubt about that. Those gorgeous shots of a younger Ra's there in wherever it was (yeah I know they shot in India lol), were great. It was very natural lit overall. You know that's what I also like so much about HvH's work (not only on Interstellar though), he puts so much into it. It has it's own feeling, it's own atmosphere. That moment I referred to in Batman Begins was actually only really in that film. TDK had it's own but for me there wasn't such a moment in TDKR. Other than him standing on the bridge which was just a gorgeous shot in itself. It just came to my mind, I loved it when Batman and Selina were in the Bat for the first time and they flew around Gotham. Those shots, that music: perfect combination.

Nomis wrote:
G-OldmanFan wrote:
Fair points. Though I must say Batman Begins had to start Batman while he was already settled in TDK and in TDKR we had already seen him in his prime. Besides, I wouldn't have minded it if TDKR had a stronger colour palette (if you will). It was great, no doubt about that. Those gorgeous shots of a younger Ra's there in wherever it was (yeah I know they shot in India lol), were great. It was very natural lit overall. You know that's what I also like so much about HvH's work (not only on Interstellar though), he puts so much into it. It has it's own feeling, it's own atmosphere. That moment I referred to in Batman Begins was actually only really in that film. TDK had it's own but for me there wasn't such a moment in TDKR. Other than him standing on the bridge which was just a gorgeous shot in itself. It just came to my mind, I loved it when Batman and Selina were in the Bat for the first time and they flew around Gotham. Those shots, that music: perfect combination.
I always got a Blade Runner vibe of those shots of the Bat, especially when Catman rides in it for the first time.

I always got a Blade Runner vibe of those shots of the Bat, especially when Catman rides in it for the first time
LOL. This should totally be a superhero.

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
I always got a Blade Runner vibe of those shots of the Bat, especially when Catman rides in it for the first time
LOL. This should totally be a superhero.
It's your lucky day. He already exists: http://www.comicvine.com/search/?q=catm ... %5D=volume